gas prices and draw odds?

elkantlers

Long Time Member
What do you guys think the high gas prices will do to the NR antelope draw odds? Do you think some people are going to change their applications to points only? I usually put in for one area that takes a point to be guaranteed, but last year was only 50/50 odds with one point. I put in for a guaranteed area without using points this year because I want to take my wife and son for sure. Now I am second guessing myself and wondering if I should change our application to the original area and apply for the bonus point hunt. We each have 1 point. What do you think?

I don't think to many will be changing their decisions based on the price of gas. I don't want to come off sounding like a jerk, but it had no bearing on what I have put in for and what I will still be putting in for this year (other states). No I am not one of those guys who spends thousands each year on hunts either.

LAST EDITED ON May-07-11 AT 02:37PM (MST)[p]I don't think the true hunters will just put in for PPs because of the rising gas prices either. Are you saying you put in for a unit that's impossible to draw without multiple PPs for your first choice and a unit you want to hunt as your second choice? That is what you would have to do in order not to use your PP.

I think the rumors of a long winter may effect some hunter's dropping out of the draw more than gas prices.

Saw where they say that the gas prices will now start to come down in price for the summer.
LOOK at Montana at those prices and almost sold out of NR tags.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

I do not htink it will affect the odds? as guys have already applied.

I think if the prices keep going up then some that draw might try and do the return a tag gig in states that allow it..

Good catch Brian----prices should drop as a barrel is now under $100 down $30.....

Prices at the pump sure jump UP faster than the drop Down though!

Robb

last week I drove thru Wyo and it had the cheapest gas of any of the states. If the gas drops in the other states the tags will sell.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

The price per gallon is predicted to be around $3.50 during the summer time.

Brian

Thaks for the comments.
I will be going hunting regardless of the gas price. I just know there are alot of people that are not as "diehard" as we are. I imagine that the prices of gas would have effected draw odds if the price would have been high during the application period instead of going up after.

I did not apply ,but intend to buy leftover tags.I will be going antelope hunting and the price of fuel will not stop me.May have to scrimp a little on other things in life,but still intend on hunting Wyoming.

I go from central Utah to central Wyoming every year
Depending on the gear I need to replace that year It usually cost me about 1000.00 with my tag
If gas is $3.00 (that's what every one wants)that would be $120.00
If gas is $5.00 (that's what it will be)that would be $200.00
When you spending $1000.00 already my question would be what is another $80.00
I know as much as anybody that money can get tight.But it still surprises me how cheap some people can be

never_satisfied, I know what you are saying. But what about the people coming from southern Cali, Texas, or other places that are further away than we are?

I drive it just so I am not home while others are out hunting, I can eat pork & beans for awhile I guess if need be..LOL

Brian

My Dad and I have never worried about the gas prices prior to a hunt. We live in Southern Ca and its 1250 miles one way to where we hunt in WY. As mentioned before, if we gotta spend an additional $300 in fuel to spend 8 days out hunting in WY, its a small price to pay.

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

Since hunting out West is all I dream about the entire year, gas prices will not stop me. Last year I was on a 7 week trip covering 3 states and by the time I got back to MI the middle of November I had driven 7000 miles and spent about $1200 just on gas alone! This year it's also a three state trip, but will only be about 4000 miles, so even if prices stay higher I'll still come out ahead, LOL! You have to laugh to keep from crying!!!

The cost of flights made us drive back to SD a few weeks ago, I'm sure if the flight prices stay up we will be driving back agin, 3 guys and 2 dogs is alot of money it would be cheaper for us to drive by alot. Dogs now cost the same as a person in flying on United and Southwest don't take dogs no more.
Wish the diesel got more miles to the gallon, LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Top Gun, I admire you. My longest trip to date was "09" when i did 10/1 WY deer, NM elk and NV elk all in one trip. Left 9/27, got home 11/2. I didn't count miles since my speedometer hasn't worked since 2002. But off 39 days, 35 on the road with just me and my horses. Good times.

COSA, i think you hit the nail on the head. I was PPing WY deer and antelope this year figuring we'd be in for an automatice draw in 2012 for both deer and antelope. After this winter I will probably wait til 2013 or 2014. The family isn't into trophies much anyways but at least let the number build a little anyways.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-03-11 AT 07:25AM (MST)[p]Not much to admire! I just figure the extra money the way gas is going up is a cost of "doing business", LOL! I started hunting back in 1953 with my Dad when I was 6 and it's like that Mossy Oak "It's an Obsession" saying with me. I vowed that when I retired in 2002 that I would do as much as I could while I was healthy because you never know when your last day is coming. So far God has been good to me and I just get out during the summer and cut yards and blow snow in the winter for extra money to cover gas & such so I don't have to pull money out of my 401K. This year that 7 week trip I was on last year will seem short as I'm heading out to Wyoming before Labor Day Weekend to meet my buddy in Sheridan and we will be going to AZ on a 2 week archery elk hunt. Then it's back for the same in Wyoming, followed by the rifle elk/deer seasons, and then up into North Dakota for a week of pheasant hunting. Then it's back here to MI to head up to the cabin for the last half of November for our rifle whitetail season. Then around comes December and blowing snow again, LOL!

Grizzly---Missed your post to me last month and just sent you a PM!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom