gas vs propane vs CNG

stinky

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-12 AT 09:51PM (MST)[p]I am thinking about getting a new hunting rig and was wondering about converting it to run on LPG or CNG. Does anybody have any experience w/either one?
Will it start when it is cold out?
What sort of affects will it have on power and mpg?
John 14:6

A little less Power!

The problem with CNG is storage,takes a big Tank!

With your Foot burried I don't think you've ever got Mileage!:D

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

If you were to go propane, you could run a BBQ grill right off your rig, or your rig off the BBQ.

Its win-win

-Scott

The only one I was close to was about 15 years ago (I don't know how much the technology has changed between then and now). The guy told me that the mileage was about on par with gas/diesel, but the catch was this truck was a CNG well tenders work truck (F-350 I believe) so he basically had free fuel. So would you pull up to the local gas supply place where you would fill your grill bottles at and fill it up there or would you be setting up a propane storage tank on you property to have a filler truck show up and fill the storage tank up and then you fill your truck off of the storage tank?
WVBOWAK

I just recently bought a 1992 F250 4x4 that is duel fuel...both gas and LP gas(motor fuel/propane) but fuel pumps are broken. I have a 100 gallon tank in the back of the bed of the truck. I thinks its a cool set up because the oil is alot cleaner and the fuel last longer and its cheaper. The last fill up i got it for $2.20 a gallon and in Albuquerque its @ $2.15 a gallon. I talked to the propane seller and he told me that it might go up but its not as bad as gas and diesel. I havent really had an estimate on how many miles it will go on full tank but it usually last me three weeks to go 75miles rounds trip to school three time a week.
I also read that the 2 quarter of this year, the ford company will create new super duty that runs on natural gas but we have to see on that one.
If you have the convenience to access a propane dealer it will be great truck to have. in my town i have two dealer and both are licensed to sell motorfuel and one in Albuquerque. there are a couple in albuerque the prices are kinda high that these three places. Not all gas station that sell propane can refill your tank because the 5 gallon tanks have a small nozzle compared to the bigger tanks.
As for power,i havent notice anything about losing power. just last week i hauled a 16ft stock trailer with 3-pairs of cow/calf and 4 steers and it did good. Im satisfied with the truck... i hope i answered yout questions and good luck on your decision

The energy company one of my kids work for has about 2500 pickups and they are going to all LPG pickup trucks.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom