Gauges' first hunt.

just_a_hunter

This last November, Gauge went on his first wild bird hunt when the elk huntin was slow. He has been to a farm or two and has been on training pigeons, but he sure made me proud on this hunt.

It's amazing to me how a good dog just knows he's going bird hunting, and can tell the difference between a 7 mag and a 12 ga. His personality changes and his instincts take over and instead of him sharing your passion, you are sharing his passion. He likes going elk hunting alright, but he sure gets a little extra giddy-up to his stride when the 12 ga. comes out. All those miles on heal, and FINALLY.....He knows it's his turn. Every muscle in his body flexs', his ears are at a constant "ten-hut", and his nose is in a never ending task of search and destroy. I love it. So does he.

He was 1 year and 4 days old at the time of this hunt.

This was his very first wild bird. He (the bird) flushed in some thick scrub oak at close range and the shot hit him in the back of the head as he turned to round a thicket.

The shotgun is my old work horse stevens 12 gauge I got on my 12th B-day. It doesn't look any different now as the day I got it. It often makes my Barretta 390 take a back seat.

elephantsandaframes008.jpg

elephantsandaframes009.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom