General Archery Reports??

GoHigher

Any archery success stories? Reports on numbers of bucks seen? Good, bad, or ugly?

I used to hunt archery a lot in UT. Switched to Muzzy for some reason.

I’ll play. I have a 2nd year dedicated tag for a unit I’ve hunted my whole life. I only hunted 3 hours of opening morning of the archery but here’s my report.

it sucked. Compared what I’ve usually seen in the past. If you ask the kid who hunted the same area I was in, I bet he’ll tell you it was awesome. I didn’t see the number of deer or bucks that usually are in the area. Could be from a number of reasons, one of which being 85 degrees the minute the sun is up. I also expected to have the area almost to myself due to the drastic tag cuts that happened this year. It was the opposite. Seemed like half the archery tags were in the same part of the unit I was. Kinda strange. Rumors of a 190-215 buck that is supposedly in the area im sure contributed to some of that. Deer numbers are still down, but appear to be up from last year. Last year I hunted 10 whole minutes and shot a deer, but for 9 of those minutes, i was wondering if there were any left.

everyone else seems to be doing good. I haven’t seen anybody really crying at the lack of deer yet like they normally are this time every year. But I’m sure that’s coming. The unit I’ve been hunting elk on with my family seems to be having a bunch of deer. Nothin huge, but definitely more than ‘normal’. I’ll try again next weekend one more day and see if it’s any better. I’m cautiously optimistic. We will see.

To many haters on the website, everyone is to quick to bash any picture, no matter the animal there is always constant criticism, hardly a nice animal, congrats to the Hunter anymore! That’s my guess on it?

My Dad and I killed a couple nice bucks, but don't care to post them. Had a fun hunt, and killed the best bucks we were able to scout and find throughout the summer. No complaints here other than I wish we could shut the borders down to Nevada and California tourists, nearly got in a head on with a group of dweebs from Vegas racing around blind corners in there side x side. Good luck to everyone still with a tag!

My Dad and I killed a couple nice bucks, but don't care to post them. Had a fun hunt, and killed the best bucks we were able to scout and find throughout the summer. No complaints here other than I wish we could shut the borders down to Nevada and California tourists, nearly got in a head on with a group of dweebs from Vegas racing around blind corners in there side x side. Good luck to everyone still with a tag!
Come on now, post em up! **** the haters who don't have tags (and the haters who only kill 200"+ bucks once in a lifetime yet pretend like they do it every year).

I am a California A Hole I guess, but I can see the hate being spread across almost every kill photo on this site, Congrats to you and your hunting party, glad it was a successful season! Very understandable why you wouldn’t post pics, lord knows I wouldn’t!

I am a California A Hole I guess, but I can see the hate being spread across almost every kill photo on this site, Congrats to you and your hunting party, glad it was a successful season! Very understandable why you wouldn’t post pics, lord knows I wouldn’t!
That's a pretty sad attitude you have there. I refuse to let a few bad apples ruin my fun.

I am a California A Hole...

lord knows I wouldn’t!
I wouldn’t brag about being from California on a utah section. I ran into a few of them opening morning. They couldn’t get “we’re from California!” Out of their mouths fast enough. Pretty sad. It’s not the people I have issues with. It’s their views and lifestyle that they bring with them and shove down our throats. ‘Change’ isn’t always something that’s best for everyone. Especially when you have lived here your whole life

@deerkiller, trust me I don’t brag that I’m from California at all! I absolutely hate the politics of this state, I had my head held low when I said I was one of the A Holes from California!
I would post pictures here because it pisses me off when fellow hunter tare apart another hunter that is proud of what they did and willing to share their stories! I guess I just don’t see the sense in the negativity!

To many haters on the website, everyone is to quick to bash any picture, no matter the animal there is always constant criticism, hardly a nice animal, congrats to the Hunter anymore! That’s my guess on it?
Man, I sure hope this isn't true. After all, I am an expert at shooting small bucks. I just like to hear the stories, not the size of the deer/elk. Bummer!!

Nice! I live in Vegas right now (grew up in Northern UT til my job migrated me south). I hunt both states most years. I'll tell all these Vegas people to be more careful in the future. - just for you :)

I saw your dad's but didn't see pics of your buck. You two usually do very well and "you get out of it what you put into it" and it paid off again. Well done!
I'll get after your dad to share your pic to me.

Zeke

Nice! I live in Vegas right now (grew up in Northern UT til my job migrated me south). I hunt both states most years. I'll tell all these Vegas people to be more careful in the future. - just for you :)

sounds like you are fitting in nicely down there

I fit in nicely everywhere I live. Us good ole boys from UT know how to keep things light and professional, I guess.

I will gladly give you guys a synopsis of my UT muzzy hunt once its all said and done. I'll even show off my small buck that I will probably end up taking. You can all even make fun of it if you'd like. I don't care.

Bocephus. Well done to you and Dad. You two always seem to put in the many hours of hard work and get it done year after year. Respect to keeping the pics to yourself. It is hard in this instant gratification times to not send out.

@Founder you might want to check a handful threads that are going on? There’s more hate than not on here anymore! You should know what hat!
What does a handful mean exactly?
Why don't you put a number to how many posts are going on right now tearing down another hunter that has posted what they killed.
I can only think of one right now and that's about the town buck that's being reported of being killed illegally.
If someone doesn't want drama involved with their kills, then don't hunt or kill them in a shady manor.

I don't know how the Utah herd is doing this year, because I didn't even draw a tag, so I haven't been scouting or hunting at all. Deer do seem to be scarce on our neck of the woods (Box Elder and Cache Counties) this year.

I have been on two scouting trips to Wyoming, Region G this summer, and it looks like it is going to be a very tough year up there for the grandkids.

I think Utah and Wyoming would both do well to shut down the deer hunt entirely for a year or two, but they won't due to the dollar factor.

Congratulations Bo,
You and your Dad always "rock" the stick and string!
Have your Dad text me pics. I promise I will keep them to myself, and only respond with respect and admiration! ? .

Congratulations Bo,
You and your Dad always "rock" the stick and string!
Have your Dad text me pics. I promise I will keep them to myself, and only respond with respect and admiration! ? .

Haha I will tell him to as soon as he gets back in service. He is up trying to hang his tag on a general bull before the Labor Day crowds come in. Hope you and Spence have a good fall planned!

I switched units this year and so I was hunting an area that I have never hunted in the past. Put in a lot of scouting trips through the summer and ended up killing my number one buck opening day.

We have seen some great bucks and I have a buddy with a tag that we are still trying to fill. I can't give an honest report on deer numbers since we are chasing bucks that don't live in typical deer country where all of the does and fawns are at.

My family has still been hunting our old unit and they have not found the number of bucks that they have in the past. Part of the reason could be all of the "new roads" that people have created in road-less areas. My brother and dad spent multiple days this summer doing dedicated hunter projects for the forest service building fences to close off illegal roads. All to find that people have just driven around them anyways right into prime deer habitat....

Long story short, deer numbers seem down, antler growth seems pretty good and the deer that we are seeing look healthy.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom