Get back in the game or go long?

Danny_Ocean

So, this is the year to get back into the Rocky Mountain Bighorn points game, or keeping going long for Deserts.

I've hunted bighorns twice and have arrowed two. I'm still what I would call pretty young for a sheep hunter (sub 50) and told myself as soon as I was off the bench I'd get back into the draw as I like the odds better long term hunting Rocky's in CO (archery) vs trying to get a Desert on a pure draw.

I'm not a "species" chaser, so really, If I could hunt rams one more time in my life, I think I could die happy.

What says the jury? Legit odds at drawing sometime way down the road, or most likely never drawing?

I've killed both a Rocky and a Desert and I think they are equally fun and challenging to hunt. Both of my bighorns came with a rifle but, I'm guessing taking a Desert with a bow would be more difficult than a Rocky, just because of the terrain they live in.

Your odds are very long drawing either and maybe even longer for a Desert tag...given the limited number of tags available.
If I were you, I'd want to try to hunt a Desert sheep, but I'm guessing you may be more likely to draw another Rocky.

You are very lucky to have drawn two sheep so best of luck if you jump back in!

You putting in for multiple states?
Anything is possible with luck on your side. No chance = No dance!!
Go for it.

You putting in for multiple states?
Anything is possible with luck on your side. No chance = No dance!!
Go for it.
No, just Colorado. We have both species here. One is a complete lottery, the other has PPs and you can only put in for one, or the other, not both.

If a Desert's no big deal I'd go Rocky. Your chance of drawing a Rocky down the road are a lot better than any chance at a Desert. Hopefully some time they'll get the pneumonia figured out & the sheep population will explode!!!

I’ve been going long for 20 years and wonder the same thing every year. Luckily I’ve got both also which makes it a little less urgent.

Ill keep going long. Those hills are too tall anymore and the deserts are just down the road.

You have a dream, go for it. I’ve been fortunate to draw 2 Rockys, 1 Desert and 1 California. I think I will draw one more. I would say your chances for Rockys are better but I would put in for the one you want

My buddy drew a resident desert tag in Colorado several years back on his second year applying! That’s like winning the PowerBall!

So, this is the year to get back into the Rocky Mountain Bighorn points game, or keeping going long for Deserts.

I've hunted bighorns twice and have arrowed two. I'm still what I would call pretty young for a sheep hunter (sub 50) and told myself as soon as I was off the bench I'd get back into the draw as I like the odds better long term hunting Rocky's in CO (archery) vs trying to get a Desert on a pure draw.

I'm not a "species" chaser, so really, If I could hunt rams one more time in my life, I think I could die happy.

What says the jury? Legit odds at drawing sometime way down the road, or most likely never drawing?
Tough call. I’ve been in the NR archery draw going on 19 years, yet to draw but crossing my fingers. Unless you are hell bent on a desert, the odds are better by far for the rocky. Just know this, the odds are better but still suck. ?

If you have the money go to
Mexico for your Desert!
NWT or Canada for hockey I don't think you have time to draw a tag in any western state unless you live to be 200 years old!!

IMO pretty easy decision. If you want to hunt sheep again go for the best odds. Even those odds are looooong. Keep in mind the odds are getting worse fast. So is the app cost. If you think 1% odds are bad you will wish for those odds in 10 years.

Also a pound is getting heavier every year and a mile longer............. At least is for me - especially after I turned 50.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom