Getting there with a side by side, camper and half ton...

just_a_hunter

LAST EDITED ON Jul-16-15 AT 09:27PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-16-15 AT 09:26?PM (MST)

It's been a crazy (and a bit expensive) undertaking but I got a side by side from my Dad at too good of a deal to pass up but I had a huge problem with getting it where I would use it, like camping and hunting...

I rarely haul a heavy load and I love my 2010 F150. Getting a new truck is not an option and I REFUSE to pull a pup behind a bumper pull camper. Last year my wife (and two daughters) pretty much told me they (she) were sick of roughing it. Now mind you I did upgrade from a wall tent to a 1974 19' Prowler but that wasn't good enough to compfort a 3rd world loving woman who loves the outdoors. So we (I) broke down (was forced too) get a new camper so I got a Passport Ultra-lite Grand Touring 2400 BH. I really didn't want the debt but have to admit I love the camper.

truck4_zps9i1l1fld.jpg

I've hauled my 4 wheeler and camper all over tarnation with my truck after taking the tailgate off but stuffing a 2008 Kawasaki Teryx in an F150 is out of the question. Unless you get a brainstorm and think a flatbed is the answer to your ailments. So it was off to the local machine shop for un upgrade with careful measurements of the Teryx chasis. What a great job the welder did and my stipulation was keep the factory tow package in place. I also had airbags put in the rear suspension, bed rhino lined, and some super heavy duty rated 10' titan ramps.

truck1_zpstdiizhvi.jpg

truck2_zpssuzitcnp.jpg

ramps_zps4tqzsqqb.jpg

We knew it was going to be snug to get the side by side on there sideways but I'll be danged if it doesnt fit just perfect. But.... this outfit definately makes my trucks butt look big.

teryx4_zps4fmrbfet.jpg

teryx3_zps6mm2ms8m.jpg

The big problem I had, was the legal width limit is 102". With the Teryx bed on I was 113" wide with the unit on sideways which is the only way it will fit. So after making the wireing un-pluggable and taking the bed off and straping it to the frame upright which is pretty painless, I think I'm ready for the next phase which is hook the camper up and see how that goes. Which, it better go OK because I'm out of options and down a few grand..

I did have some overshoot stop chaulks made for the front wheels and switched from tie downs to chain and boomers which is WAY more secure.

teryx2_zps81amvta8.jpg

teryx1_zpsve0dvybu.jpg

I'll keep you posted when I hook the camper up next week..

Just thought I would share another option that would make Jeff Foxworthy proud. Besides, what can I say,.... I'm a native Utard....

Todd

Yer askin alot of a 1/2 ton pickup. It is a Ford so you got a shot but it's gonna be awful light on the front end, which comes in handy when u wanna turn.

Ditto to what DW said! That is asking an aweful lot from ANY 1/2 ton made in the last 35 years! Depending on how that F150 is geared, I see tranny/ cooling problems in your future! I hope I'm wrong.
Gotta love the ingenuity though!
I went through the same challenge back in 1997. I had an F250 3/4 ton 4 X 4, with the 7.5 (460 cubic inch) motor, & 410 gears. I bought an 18 ft travel trailer and then had to figure out how to haul my (2) 4 wheelers & the trailer at the same time.
Long story short, I ended up building a rack that I bolted into the truck bed. It carried the quads above the top of the bed. Had to add overload springs to keep it from swaying too much in the turns at highway speed.
The load was too high for my comfort and even the 460 was grunting when I pulled that load over the passes in Colorado.
Decided I didn't need the quads after all!
Let us know how she pulls!

Elkchaser

The truck is rated for a 10000 lb load which is suicide in my opinion. My camper is only 4800 dry so I'll plan on 5500 loaded and the side by side is 1400 full of gas. I'm only 600-700 more lbs than if my 4 wheeler was loaded. I did put airbag overloads on it which levels the truck nicely. My big worry is I still only have half ton brakes. I'm just carefully going to see how it does. It's up and over Douglas pass next week. The worst 11 mile stretch of road in the lower 48... We shall see.

Todd

I hope you have a good Brake controller(Tekonsha P2/3 or Primus) in the truck. You could see if they make a larger disc brake for that year and model of truck, GET a tranny fan upgrade you will need it.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I just have the factory brake controller that comes standard in the F150 which works awesome, and I'm at least 3000 lbs from pulling what the truck is rated for. For some reason the teryx in the truck freaks people out, myself included. But if I posted a regular weight camper that weighed 8000 lbs, nobody would bat an eye. I'm done adding stuff to the truck. If it can't handle 700 more lbs than its pulled for a few thousand miles with no heating, stoping or cooling issues than I guess I have a better bed for hauling my 4 wheeler than the stock bed.

Thanks for all the advise but I'm where I'm going to be with it. It's either going to work or it isn't. I still have two years and 50,000 miles before the warrantee is up and I should know by then if the 6 speed tranny will do. I'm well below factory rated load so coverage will not be a problem.

Todd

The reason people get wonky eyed is because your mixing payload with towing capacity. A half ton truck is rated a little more then a 1,000 lbs pay load including passengers. The Terex almost maxed that. Your then adding another who know how much with your trailer tongue weight. How many passengers? That is why people are telling you will have a light front end, no breaks and a new tranny on the way. The wind may also cause that top heavy ride to sway all over the place. looks like one ton diesel duty to me

Why is this site the worst out for browsing with
a phone or posting with a phone?

The payload capacity of f150's with a tow/HD package is 2740 lbs and 2000ish lbs without.. And that's before airbag suspension kits which is proven fact of the matter to really stiffen the suspension. That's where Fords shines.I done my homework on this, and not to be a jerk but I never once asked for advise. I know there are lots of really knowledgeable folks around here and I'm not trying to disrespect that but before I dropped my $$$$ on the project I went to the source and real experts for the facts and not what Internet forums think is best... The tongue weight of an 8000 lb camper is more than a 4600 lb camper with a 1300 lb UTV. I will cede that this is pushing the limits of the truck to the extreme. Once again, I don't see how 700 more lbs makes or breaks the hole setup but the straw breaks the camels back at some point. And it is not top heavy. I thought it was going to be but all the weight is below the mirrors. I've hauled the Teryx at highway speeds in heavy wind and it's done fine. Will a camper change that? Very Possible. Campers alone are no fun in the wind..

>Should have got 5 guys in
>blaze orange to sit in
>it to make it look
>more natural lol.

You should've added, head to toe.

Let us know how she handles. It ain't a race. Goin down the pass is worse than goin up, use a low gear. Some things don't come with a warranty. Be safe, good luck.

It will be interesting to see how it works. I know when I load the Can-Am in mine and hook up the trailer it is a noticeable load. I put air bags in mine with a compressor so I can adjust pressure while driving, comes in handy having air in the truck to air up tires etc. also. I just cant imagine it with an F150 but it sounds like you did your homework. I hope you have better luck with Ford transmissions than I have. I like my Duramax Allison combo for my toy dragging hunting adventures. I drug my trailer & side by side from Western Washington to Eastern Oregon antelope hunting last season and then another trip to Nevada chasing deer. Everything went great but it does make me a little nervous, it is asking a lot out of a pickup.

The weakest link in towing with any half ton is the rear axle rating. You have most likely exceeded yours by quite a bit once you hook up that camp trailer. Be sure to change that rear diff fluid often, and check the bearings. Personally, I have towed doubles with a bumper pull and an F150, it was totally painless and I felt very safe doing it.

Here was my old setup, 2005 F150 and a 24' Road ranger, 12' utility trailer behind with a 2008 ranger. We didn't go very fast, but it was very stable and predictable. Well under the trucks 9200 lb tow rating, and no extra weight on the rear axle.

2060doubles.jpg

We've since upgraded the truck and trailer, 2014 F150 Max tow and 27' 5th wheel. This setup is right near the trucks 11,000 lb rating. Handles even better, and goes as fast as you would want to with 2 trailers. Tracks straight even in the wind and stops with ease.

2900newdoubles.jpg

2a0fcsk.gif

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-15 AT 00:35AM (MST)[p]Sweet set up, 257... Another problem with my Ultra-lite camper is the frame isn't heavy enough to pull a pup trailer even if I wanted to but I gotta admit, your fith wheel set up looks sweet and a little more..... efficient than mine..

I done some research on your fith wheel with just the picture info and the hitch weight for 27' Salem 5th wheel campers in general is right around 1300ish (closer to 1400 lbs with water) lbs with a gross weight of 8000ish lbs. The hitch weight for my 2400BH is 515 lbs. I'll call it 600 lbs full of water. My truck has the HD tow package so I'm rated for 2740 lbs cargo. 1400 lb UTV, 600 lb hitch weight plus my fat arse with passengers and gear I'll bet I'm pushing that number and probably exceeding it a tad but not much. Then add the airbags and that changes everything. I'm a bit heavier on on the cargo load but almost 5000 lbs lighter toatal load weight than your set up... We both should've gotten F350's.. Lol...

I will make sure and have the differential oil changed regularly. Probably every other oil change if I'm pulling much. Thanks for that tip as I haven't thought of that. I will avoid the major passes with this heavy of a load but I do have to get over Douglas Pass on HWY 139 to go anywhere. I'm from South East Utah and do alot of hunting and camping down that way. If I have to go very much further than that far the UTV will stay home and the 4 wheeler will get the nod...

Todd

My Salem is actually listed as a 25', but like most 5th wheels the true length is a bit more. The fresh tank is right next to the rear axles, so full or empty doesn't change the pin weight much. I also went with an ultra light Andersen hitch, 40 lbs instead of 150, to save those precious lbs of payload. It's a fairly heavy setup, but that Ecoboost handles it with zero complaints even up the canyons. Just set the cruise on 60-65 and off we go!

I didn't think about your trailer having a lightweight frame, good call. Looking forward to seeing how it handles with the trailer hooked up. I know I was nervous as heck my first time pulling doubles! Turns out, it's pretty uneventful provided you have it set up properly, and you watch your speeds.

Good luck!

2a0fcsk.gif

I watch this post for several days. I thought I would chime in. When hauling a side-by-side sideways on your pick up truck you really have to make sure you're on very smooth roads. when it's muddy and you're in rutted roads bouncing back-and-forth really affects the slippage on the machine. I also have to haul my side by side sideways on my Dually Dodge 1 ton pick up because the bed is not square on the back to load it. (Bradford built flatbed). make sure it's tied down very well because this way Side to side sway action is a lot different than if it was loaded straight on the vehicle.

Awesome advise and info. Thats exactly what I found in my testing without the camper so far. I hit a few mountain roads and even the storm water management drains in town on pavement and there was no way I was going to feel safe with nylon straps alone holding the unit on the bed, with pretty much zero wiggle room. 1/4" chain and boomers seems to be the ticket but I'll probably throw straps over the wheels just to be safe.

Todd

JUDAS!

Do you Guys really wanna be known for looking like this?

2406trailer1.jpg

And something I thought I'd never have to recommend outside the Basin but I see there is need: GEEZUS!

1771tote.jpg

Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

9001hank2.jpg

I'm assuming there's a reason why you didn't want to go with a toy hauler?
I quickly looked at the 2400bh, and if I read it correctly the length is 27? Recently I was in a similar situation. Was looking for a pop-up camper with a cargo bay that would hold my polaris ranger xp. As it turns out, I couldn't fit my utv sideways onto the ramp and still remain legal. It would have been about 110".
So I stepped up to a toy hauler, a Pacific Coachworks Sandsport 19ex. It's 26.5' in total length, similar to yours and weighs in the same neighborhood .

My tow vehicle is a f250 diesel though..

I just didn't have a side by side when I was camper shoping and had no intentions of ever getting one. I was and am quite happy with my ATV as I hardly ever even ride the thing. A deal came up too good to pass from my dad on his old side by side. Plus, I never really like toy haulers. Very handy and useful but they don't feel very homey compaired to a nice living camper in my oppinion. Knowing then what I know now though I would have went that direction.

Todd

what ever happened to just using a 4x4 pick-up and canvas tent???...guess I'm getting too old....

For all those pulling big loads with undersized rigs, just be careful...someone I care about might be on the road at the same time.

I watched a rig like that go into a high-speed wobble and flip over, sliding down the road on it's side with the truck jacknifed behind. That was Thursday the 23rd of July. Lucky nobody got killed. He was going WAY TOO FAST around curves. That whole rig was bouncing back and forth from one side to the other; each bounce bigger than the last, until it just flipped.

Longun, :) I'm right there with you! I marvel at guys throwing serious money at hunting stuff when most all it ever cost us was a cheap tag and gas money.

I been thinking on getting a wheeler, guys around town here in n. cali use theirs to go get beer or visit a neighbor. Might get me one some day.

Still, a good thread for those looking for different ideas and smart enough to pick out the sound advice.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Also remember aluminum wheels have a weight rating and can be the weak link. I saw on another forum today pictures of a badly cracked aluminum wheel on a pickup with a big camper and pulling a boat. It was thankfully noticed in time preventing what could have been very bad. I think the biggest risk factor of running at, near or over capacity is the little things that come up that normally are not that big of a problem can be the start of what can turn into a huge problem in a heartbeat. That's the thing about pushing your luck, you can definitely do it, but you can't do it indefinitely.

Speaking of Aluminum Rims!

And Punk-Ass 18"-20" Rims & Tires!

We have a Mountain Road running up a Drainage that was Paves probably 40-50 years ago!

Getting some Nice 'Chuck' Holes in it now!

Don't know how many Tires/Wheels the one Chuck hole has taken out?

But I've seen a few Guys sittin just down the Road from the Chuck Hole off the side of the Road!

They hit the Hole & it sounds like a Rifle going off!

2 out of the 3 Guys I've seen off the Road had them 18" & 20" Rims & it Broke the Wheels rather than Blowing the Tire!

Not much Cushion on them size of Tires & Wheels!

Perty Bad when a Custom High Dollar Wheel Breaks in Half!

But Ain't they Cool?

One of the Drivers wore a FLATTY!

Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

9001hank2.jpg

>
>One of the Drivers wore a
>FLATTY!
>
>
> Go
>Ahead!
>
>Make Me take it down!
>
>
9001hank2.jpg

>
>

I just assumed.

Hello again "just_a_hunter"!
How are the modifications working out? I was reading some of the posts (including mine!) and some folks got a little rude. I think many on here have been through similar situations and we are just passing along our experiences and concerns. The safety concerns are real but it looks like you got it covered.
I really do admire your determination and I am anxious to hear how it is working out for you.

Elkchaser

>Hello again "just_a_hunter"!
>How are the modifications working out?
>I was reading some of
>the posts (including mine!) and
>some folks got a little
>rude. I think many on
>here have been through similar
>situations and we are just
>passing along our experiences and
>concerns. The safety concerns are
>real but it looks like
>you got it covered.
>I really do admire your determination
>and I am anxious to
>hear how it is working
>out for you.
>
>Elkchaser

Thanks buddy.

I ended up having to move this week so I haven't gotten a chance to hook it up yet. I'll definitely let you all know how it goes.

Todd

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom