Gila winter precip 2014-15

salsola

Hey all,

I thought I'd continue the rainfall totals for the Gila like previous years. Here is the winter precip (October 2014- March 2015). Colored circles are 10 mile radius around each RAWS station. Towns are in italics, station names and rainfall totals in regular print. Unit boundaries in grey.

Again, data from here:
http://www.raws.dri.edu/wraws/nmF.html

For reference, the 10 year averages during this period for a few stations are:

Gila Center 6.1"
Magdalena 3.6"
Slaughter 5.7"

The good news is this winter has been at or above normal (and way ahead of the past few years: http://tinyurl.com/pho5vxg ). It is shaping up to be a great year.

gila_rain_oct_mar_2015_zpsfbeqonzb.jpg
[/URL]

It wasn't a great year for snowpack,but we did get good soaking rains this year.
First spring rains I've seen in years too.

And they're saying....saying being the key word there, that with a warming trend in the Pacific we might be due for a very wet spring.

I heard rumor the Gila got some rain in the last week? Was it significant or just enough to knock the dust down? Any reports from the field as to how the feed is shaping up for 2015?

>I heard rumor the Gila got
>some rain in the last
>week? Was it significant or
>just enough to knock the
>dust down? Any reports from
>the field as to how
>the feed is shaping up
>for 2015?

^^^^This

1st time I've ever had spring rains.The locals say 1st time in many years.Getting green low now.I'm heading thru Gila this weekend and will report.
Snow and rain in forecast for Sat/Sun again...looking good!

Think it's pretty clear with what's happened already and the weather guys saying that the rest of spring and summer look to be wet...Great Year for big boned Bulls

Music to my ears. I feel very blessed to have a great Gila tag during a wet year.

>Think it's pretty clear with what's
>happened already and the weather
>guys saying that the rest
>of spring and summer look
>to be wet...Great Year for
>big boned Bulls

LAST EDITED ON May-12-15 AT 09:39AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-12-15 AT 07:21?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON May-12-15 AT 07:20?AM (MST)

Rain/snow last weekend and starting again today.Pretty green.Critters very healthy. T storms and rain forecast for this week now,30-60% :)!!

I'm just still surprised that the San Augustin plains haven't greened up much around the VLA. Just a hair too cool, I think.

>I'm just still surprised that the
>San Augustin plains haven't greened
>up much around the VLA.
>Just a hair too cool,
>I think.
Yup, too cool for the Gramma and we really haven't gotten a downpour yet.Gramma grows in warmth and much more moisture.But Its trying here at my place early.

It's just a matter of time unless it starts scorching. If I had a 13, 16, 15, or 17 tag I'd be stoked at the amount of rain we've been getting. More specifically, how consistent it has been with a decent storm every few weeks instead of just one big one every 3 months. A ranching friend described the winter/spring precip along the lines of "amazing" for that reason.

LAST EDITED ON May-13-15 AT 05:06PM (MST)[p]>It's just a matter of time
>unless it starts scorching. If
>I had a 13, 16,
>15, or 17 tag I'd
>be stoked at the amount
>of rain we've been getting.
>More specifically, how consistent it
>has been with a decent
>storm every few weeks instead
>of just one big one
>every 3 months. A ranching
>friend described the winter/spring precip
>along the lines of "amazing"
>for that reason.

As a a proud holder of a unit 17 tag I am stoked! More big elk is a good thing! This is a great thread...especially for us non-resident DIYers.

Just saw the NOAA forecast for El Nino,looking real good for NM.
This weeks and recent rains made me hope for early monsoon too.
Looks like it's happening and growing for the winter!!!

man this thread is making me excited. Can't wait to see some pics of the antler growth from the 16s this year.

I have a 15 tag in my pocket for this year, going at it DIY. Looks like the weather is smiling upon us tag holders this year. Thanks for the weather updates!

My son and I were down in 16c over the weekend and it's dry, many tanks were gonzo...fyi. Not what we had hoped to see. More moisture in central/ northern part of state than SW sadly

Found the same thing in unit 15 area. A lot of tanks that had water in the past are dry as a bone. Some areas have a little green growth, but looks to be some light soaking rains that just greened up in the last 2 weeks or so.

The grasses do not usually start growing here til June,so we are way ahead of schedule regardless of what it looks like in rest of state.And it really doesn't green up and get tanks full til late July or Aug.,they need gully washers.
It's been raining some all spring which is abnormal.

The ground is holding plenty of moisture, like hank said way ahead of schedule. Grass needs heat to really spring up green and temps at night have been to cool. Tanks only get full with major down poors, go back next month and you'll see the effect of the steady,soaking rains from all spring.

That's great to hear ?. To be honest I haven't had the opportunity to get down to the Gila this time of year in the past....man I Love being retired.

Yeah,statisticly speaking.
But what they didn't get is late snows,just rains. It is greener than normal for this time of year and we have been getting some rain.Ground is still damp below surface here at home.Odd.
Looks like T-storms building again today,30% chance......a month early at least for monsoon.

IMHO it will be record year for rains here and conditions of the critters is way better than I have seen in a while....watch the monsoon bust and el nino go away ...lol. I don't think so....

Another 1/4" here yesterday.
Finally raining a bit more out here. Seems most of the heavy moisture has gone around the Gila and White Mtn's lately which is odd too.
Never the less it looks better than some local rancher folks 80+ remember for June......better than I've ever seen.

9501180daypercentofnormal61115.jpg

% of normal precip for the last 6 months from the NWS with GMU's shown.

In the Gila, west of the continental divide, precip not that great compared to normal the further west you go. Just the month of May shows a similar picture, but this May is definitely better west of the CD compared to last year.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-11-15 AT 04:25PM (MST)[p]Very cool map.

I can see the line on the divide and its just what I see here,right on that yellow/green/blue split. I'm 4 mi west of the divide.

White Mtns are pretty dry compared to normal too.

16B is showing according to this map, about 75-90 percent of normal! Hard to say how accurate it is and my unit is right on the fringe of being well above normal...

I heard a report about a big storm coming up from Mexico into Texas and NM in the next couple days. Can any locals confirm?

New Mexico is hoping for some of that storm buddy, it's coming from east Texas and may hit the eastern part of the state, I will keep you posted . I don't think the bulk will hit our Gila.

Maybe not that one,but one T-storm did yesterday in So.Central Catron Co.
2 named hurricanes this early in Pacific...not previously and with more energy than previous YEARS expended in each
Monsoon has started this week,not just freaks too. 3 weeks early for my area! Usually the 4th is about the start here!

Hard to take pics when your white knuckling it thru the bulls driving at night....lol. Seen some fat velvet racks.
50% chance of precip today here at home. 1/2" in 3 days at my place. Come on gully washer....

Looking at the radar it looks like a pretty good storm rolled through unit 17 today. Anyone live around that unit? How's it looking?

LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-15 AT 08:11PM (MST)[p]17 Hammered twice this week I heard....and Reserve/Quemado side is very dry,with lush green slashes across it. Elk look good too,baby time.

3 small fires burning today lightning strikes,1 east of Eagle Pk.

96 here today and cooking for here.
Did just see a huge bull cross the road,and about 24 cows out feeding in a grassy basin 2 mi from home on way back from picking up hay in Fence Lake. Yearly feed bag time for the elk for sure.

I like it when other hunters just go sleep mid-day and think elk/deer never get out of their beds,all day long:)

Thanks for the update Hank. Just saw that the Pinion fire in 16B is up to 1600 acres. Probably gonna get a bit bigger before the monsoons roll in.

>
>Thanks for the update Hank. Just
>saw that the Pinion fire
>in 16B is up to
>1600 acres. Probably gonna get
>a bit bigger before the
>monsoons roll in.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the pinion fire is just east of eagle peak, in 16D ??

>Boy am I not happy to
>hear about a fire in
>16d

I hear Ya Lt, happened to me in my unit a few years back. From the way it sounds the forestry is keeping it somewhat contained so the fire will help get rid of the unwanted under growth also to help the habitat.

Well that's a bit of good news. I know burns can help future habitat, I just hope it doesn't negatively affect this yrs hunt too much.

Slow burning,20-30% humidity and a chance of rain again this week is good.
Very hazy around my neck ,mostly form AZ fires doing same.98,still hot,gonna be grilling after dark tonight.

Happy Summer Solstice everyone....cooler, rainier,shorter days and hunting soon to follow!!!

Thx Hank for all your input here, especially the big Bulls crossing the road stuff. Be hunting them in 70 days. My brother keeps me posted with his countdown clock lol.

Lt in the little bear fire two years ago the elk moved in thick, ash all over and all. Hank your input is really truly appreciated man, I'm heading down in mid July, hope by then we get a few rains.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-22-15 AT 07:07AM (MST)[p]No Problemo folks.
I'm targeting a burn area this year for deer.Place was cooked 2 yrs ago,now lush new growth amongst the dead falls.A pain to get to.But they know it.

Saw a couple dozen cows out at 3PM yesterday in the one bright green bottom land spot around,and a solo bull came to my tank @ sunset,real healthy.

On a side note had to call G&F as a yearling was wandering around confused and sick. Warden is coming to check what we both think is a type of encephilitis that is caused by fly larvae. Said they were seeing it in the Gila too.Damn larvae attach to cartoid artery and they die from lack of blood to brain,very sad.
Saw same simptoms with Tule elk in CA once.

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-22-15
>AT 07:07?AM (MST)

Hank appreciated all the updates!...it looks like a series of thunderstorms is headed for the Reserve area this week. At least according to iPhone weather app!

No Problemo folks.
>I'm targeting a burn area this
>year for deer.Place was cooked
>2 yrs ago,now lush new
>growth amongst the dead falls.A
>pain to get to.But they
>know it.
>
>Saw a couple dozen cows out
>at 3PM yesterday in the
>one bright green bottom land
>spot around,and a solo bull
>came to my tank @
>sunset,real healthy.
>
>On a side note had to
>call G&F as a yearling
>was wandering around confused and
>sick. Warden is coming to
>check what we both think
>is a type of encephilitis
>that is caused by fly
>larvae. Said they were seeing
>it in the Gila too.Damn
>larvae attach to cartoid artery
>and they die from lack
>of blood to brain,very sad.
>
>Saw same simptoms with Tule elk
>in CA once.

Any updates on if the 16D fire is still burning? I'm really hoping for a scouting trip starting sunday for a day or 2.

Got this off of inciweb.com

Incident Overview
Removing ladder fuels

The Pinon Fire is 15 miles east of Reserve, NM on the Reserve Ranger District. It is approximately 3,100 acres. It is being managed along with two other fires on the forest to achieve multiple resource objectives such as removing hazardous fuels and returning fire to the ecosystem.

Basic Information
Current as of 6/22/2015, 7:38:45 PM
Incident Type Wildfire
Cause Lightning
Date of Origin Tuesday June 16th, 2015 approx. 02:00 PM
Location East of Eagle Peak on the Reserve Ranger District
Incident Commander Richards
Current Situation
Total Personnel 40
Size 3,100 Acres
Fuels Involved

ponderosa pine, oak, mixed conifer
Significant Events

Steady growth reported
Outlook
Planned Actions

Continue working along the western boundary of the fire on Forest Road 94
Remarks

Isolated thunderstorms east of the fire area on Sunday

All great until they get approval to divert the Gila River overflow. New Mexico Interstate Stream Commission recently decided to move forward with a Gila River diversion project. Its up for public comment now.

I didn't take many pics at all but i can tell you that it was green and plenty wet. From what I saw of the fire area from the road was that it is all but out. I only saw a few places that were still smoldering but they were very very small and it got rained on while I was there even more.

>Thanks for the report LT.

Beastn, I'm heading in to the wilderness in 14 days, I'll be posting pictures on bowsite.Just fyi I know you're anxious. .,

>I'll be in the Gila Wilderness
>next week too,taking a look
>around.
>Still very dry in parts of
>15,13.

Awesome hank! I'm chomping at the bit. Take a load in since I'm gonna go in anyway.

>>Thanks for the report LT.
>
>
>Beastn, I'm heading in to the
>wilderness in 14 days,
>I'll be posting pictures on
>bowsite.Just fyi I know you're
>anxious. .,

Yup, all I seem to think about these days... Looking forward to seeing the country.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom