Glacier National Park -Area

MT_55

Sorry guys, woulda put this in the Montana thread but I kinda need a quick response because I'm here on family vaca now. My boys and I are looking for an area to view wildlife in the mornings/evenings and so far we haven't had much luck. Elk is the #1 target as we don't get to encounter them very often. We are staying near Columbia Falls. Thanks much in advance!

Elk aren't one of the majors in Glacier, although I have seen them occasionally on the west side of the park, pretty near the entrance. Pretty much guaranteed to see mountain goats on the Hidden Lake trail on top of Going to the Sun (and bighorns if you take some time to glass). I assume you've seen the recent video of the grizzly chasing goats on that trial though :).

Was just there. Never saw and elk in Glacier. Rented a boat for half a day on Flathead Lake. Most wildlife we saw. Wild Horse Island is full of sheep and mule deer. I’m sure you are seeing plenty of whitetails around Colombia Falls.

Thanks for the heads up guys. I did NOT see that griz video until you just posted that.. Pretty wild!

Heartshot... You might not be. I was up there yesterday and the trailer to Hidden lake was closed again as of yesterday morning. Monday night the same freakin bear was chasing goats again so they closed it.. I spoke to a number of park people and couldn't get an idea of if it would be back open before we leave on Saturday with the strong hint that it will not be. Right now bears are supposed to be laying low and conserving energy NOT burning it so they're worried that there's something up with this particular bear. We shall see i guess.

You traveling elsewhere in Montana after leaving Glacier area? There are a lot better areas to see elk then the park and surrounding area....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom