Glass vs Boot leather

HntHrdr

Very Active Member
Now that it’s almost time for some horns to be hitting the ground. Would love to hear who is using glass vs who just hoofs it? In my handful of years I always bring glass but 9.5 times out of 10 I’m picking them up from just making tracks. I may try some new areas in (May of course) that are a little more open so I might have to mix it up this year but I’d be interested to hear how others are turning up sheds.

I do both. I spotted my first antler with glass back in 1981. Since then roughly 30% of the big mule deer antlers and a little more of the big elk antlers I have found with binoculars. There is no substitute for actually walking, I still miss a few in open country glassing and the more vegetation the more you need to walk. The older I get the more I find myself setting and glassing. The good thing about binoculars is that they are very useful for determining if the white thing you see 100 yards away is an antler or just a few bleached out sticks. The bad thing is with binoculars is you can find the bleached out sticks ant 1000 yards, usual y in the bottom of a canyon. Antlers always look bigger whit glass. I thought that first antler was at least 90 inches when I saw it, reality is it is a bit under 80.

I do both as well. I probably find a bit more than half my antlers with binoculars.
It also depends on if I think an area has already been hit pretty good. If so, I spend more time walking thicker brush versus glassing.
And of course it comes down to the area. Last year antler hunting with my buddy for elk, I didn’t use my optics much at all, as we were looking in a timbered area with lots of deadfall.
The only reason I ever found this antler below was because I accidentally left my optics at home.

26C267DE-E14D-4294-9D72-C3105838D1B8.jpeg

Always depends in the terrain for me some places glassing is superior other places you won't find much unless you're busting brush but most places its a mix of both for me

I love to spot more open country, thicker stuff is heaven with a good dog.
I know fellas have said “ the whole fun is spotting the bone yourself”, but man when your best canine bud picks a horn up.. you know dang well you would’ve passed up..
It gets the blood a pumping!

I forgot to tell you the best part…

I hiked up that canyon right by that antler to get to where I am standing when I took the pic.

My buddy and I scanned that canyon for a good half hour just picking apart everything. It was on my last pass with the spotter that I hooked my peepers on that big five. I had actually picked up the spotter and moved 10 yards down the ridge to do a final pass. That was all it took to be in a position to see this antler right above the cedar tree line on my side of canyon.

Sometimes it pays off to do some glassing after all the hiking.

I don’t favor one method….I always try to do my share of both. Seems to be way more effective for me.

Pack a little patience with that extra weight when you go out and you’ll do good.

I use both, like to glass with Binos on a tripod and confirm with the spotter. I also go by the rule, just because I didn't glass something doesn't mean there isn't something there. If it looks good I still walk it. But is usually takes miles for piles. Lol

I took binos shed hunting once when I was in an area where I thought there could be elk antlers... Didn't find any but not my binos fault. I know lots of you have found antlers with binos, and I think they'd be a great tool, for some people.

In general, I don't carry binos where I shed hunt. Sage brush, cedars, low-rolling hills, gullies, etc. etc.... I just walk it. The area I'm in doesn't really lend itself to glassing much more than I can see clearly with my eyes. Sage brush is the best antler cover there is.

Most miles I ever did in a day shed hunting was 11.8 miles. Found two small deer antlers. Most sheds I ever found in a day of shed hunting was 8... Only hiked about 5 miles that day. It's a crap shoot, which is why its fun and exciting... I generally hike around 7 miles in a day of shed hunting, and I'll find 4 antlers on average. I've never felt dissatisfied with a day of hiking the mountains.

I took binos shed hunting once when I was in an area where I thought there could be elk antlers... Didn't find any but not my binos fault. I know lots of you have found antlers with binos, and I think they'd be a great tool, for some people.

In general, I don't carry binos where I shed hunt. Sage brush, cedars, low-rolling hills, gullies, etc. etc.... I just walk it. The area I'm in doesn't really lend itself to glassing much more than I can see clearly with my eyes. Sage brush is the best antler cover there is.

Most miles I ever did in a day shed hunting was 11.8 miles. Found two small deer antlers. Most sheds I ever found in a day of shed hunting was 8... Only hiked about 5 miles that day. It's a crap shoot, which is why its fun and exciting... I generally hike around 7 miles in a day of shed hunting, and I'll find 4 antlers on average. I've never felt dissatisfied with a day of hiking the mountains.
I am with you, I never feel a day of hiking in beautiful country wasted and it’s always fun never knowing what you can find.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom