Glassbedding rifle stock instructions.

RELH

Long Time Member
There has been several posts from members inquiring about how to glass bed a rifle. I have advised several to find a book on glass bedding in order to do the job right the first time they attempt it. Well! I decided to go web browsing and I was able to locate a web site that gave decent instructions on glass bedding a sporting rifle and included diagrams with the text. It also gives instructions on Pillar bedding. A third section gives instructions on barrel bedding blocks and shows how to make a bedding block for the Ruger 10/22 semi auto rifle.
Here is the site for the members that may be interested.
http://riflestocks.tripod.com

RELH

RELH

I just ordered the book you were referring to. Looks like it will be a great read. Thanks for the info..

Hoss

Thanks for the link.

Lots of other good info on that site as well, it appears.

I'm still WAY TOO paranoid to do my own bedding job though...LOL

RELH, Thanks for the link. I have bedded four rifles years ago, but now have a Win 70 with their hotmelt job that needs replacing. It would be nice if Remington, Winchester, et al, would follow Kimber's lead and provide a pillar & bedding job on their rifles.

Doug~Red Rabbit

Doug;

That is one of the reasons you payed more money for that Kimber over a Rem. or Win. But it is money well spent, hard to beat a good "out of the box" rifle like the Kimber.

RELH

A local smith wants $185 to bed the rifle. I think I will venture into the job myself and save for a digital camera.
I wonder how much it actually costs Kimber to bed each rifle. If Remchester bedded theirs, I also wonder if average Joe-Shooter would notice the extra accuracy and pay the extra $$$ for quality, considering how many people are catered to by the inexpensive and/or cheap offerings from the various gun makers.

Doug~RedRabbit

RedRabbit;

You hit the nail dead center on the head with that statement. Most of the average hunters will buy with one thing in mind, "How cheap can I get it". That is why there is a market for Kimber, Cooper, and few other makers for upgraded rifles at a higher price. There is some hunters that are willing to pay more for a better grade of rifle.
Some guys, Hell ! most of us, can not afford the higher grade firearm, when starting out at a young age and trying to raise a family at the same time. they have no choice but to seek as cheap as a price that they can afford, then try to upgrade later in life.
Others just do not know a good thing when it stares them in the face. About 12-15 years ago, Winchester did free float their barrels on a paticular model of the M-70 rifle to inhance accuracy. It did not sell due to most hunters thinking that it was done because of poor workmanship on the barrel-wood gap that they saw. Winchester went back to the tight gap and wood warp would throw off the accuracy but it sold.

RELH

RELH,
As my red hairs become replaced with a more "mature" lighter shade, my resolve to buy quality the first time grows. Granted, high quality costs, but inferior quality also costs. Younger people starting in the hunting and shooting sports are more strapped for money, but I feel that "surviving" the family years until they can afford to upgrade is a disservice to themselves for those years. Heck, scrimp, earn and save and buy the best you want, rather than wasting money on lesser quality and forfeiting money on the inevitable upgrade.

My first pair of binoculars, 25 years ago, was a Bushnell Sportview 7x35 Insta-focus. I gave them away a couple of years ago to a 10 year old hunter with no binos or money in the family, rather than letting them sit unused in a drawer (could have saved money on the aspirin they required to look through). I decided to get top shelf at the time(~1985) with Leitz 10x25, and they served me well until the small objective size proved poor for glassing long distance toward evening. Several years ago I put aside enough for a pair of Leica 10x to replace a mid-grade set of Burris 10x (Lost money in that transition).
In terms of guns, I am now tending to high grade my assortment of hunting guns. The Dakota Arms Westerner with classic stock and octagon barrel looks like a goal for which to save. No, I don't have a lot of loose change (maybe a loose screw?), as I have been teaching High School for the last 24 years. Champagne tastes on a beer budget? But are not two Paulaner Amber Marzens worth more than a twelve-pack of Keystone Light? Buy it once and live with the quality forever?

A good friend and long-time hunting partner earns 6 figures. His choice of gun for his son was a Savage with plastic trigger guard that split at the screw hole, action screws that go into the Tupperware stock and strip out, and has a horrendous trigger pull. His rifle has a Ramline stock with a crack in the magazine block area. He is passionate about hunting, but I cannot get him to consider the possibilities as to why these rifles won't shoot well.

Guess my point to this rambling is to question the apparent waste of $$$ and time during one's hunting career while upgrading from cheap quality throughout the years; money wasted is not buying what you really want in the first place. Maybe this is part of the learning curve from youth to elder, but I wish some would be able to learn from other's mistakes. On the other hand, being a part of the learning curve has its educational values and one may be able to appreciate the finer qualities at the end. I have been able to observe and learn from both spectra.

Doug~Red Rabbit
no charge for my $0.02

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom