GMU 16A-Heavy Smoke on western side

icgamer

So I just got back from my last opportunity to scout before my elk hunt and the western side of the unit is covered in smoke.
When I arrived on Tuesday afternoon I noticed the smoke but the smell wasn't heavy..at first I thought this might be some continental drift from out of state, but as soon as the sun went down I could see the orange glow across from my camp site looking to the west.
I'm confident there is no way I had an unobstructed view into AZ, and I watched these fires along a hillside several miles away until I went to bed. I got up in darkness and although they were greatly diminished, I still saw that orange glow along parts of the distant hillside...Now that I'm home I've searched for "forest fires in NM" and even for "prescribed burns" with no luck.
I'm sure that this has to be visible from the folks living in Reserve NM...but the smoke was so thick I couldn't clearly glass during this outing, especially during afternoon times...check out the attached pic.
I passed other vehicles and even forestry dept trucks on my way in so can't believe this condition isn't known...
Just curious if anyone has any insight especially with mobility impaired starting this weekend.

MFDC2568.JPG

I was in 23 last weekend scouting for my coues hunt and was hindered by the same conditions. It looked like the fire was in the white rock wilderness area of 23. Hope they get a handle on this soon.

Thanks for the info...whatever, and where ever it is..I hope it's under control...
Just shocking I can't find any info about it.

How were the temps at night? Planning on taking water in the camper, just hope it doesn't freeze.
Temps were maybe into the low 40's. I sleep in a tent with an extra sleeping bag and am comfy. It's a little chilly getting moving in the morning, but this is how I plan on doing it...I need to message you and figure out where you guys are going to be, I'd love to try and stop by and say HI! after all your help it would be a shame to not meet. I plan on being there starting Tuesday before hunt since this scouting trip was so messed up from a glassing perspective. I think I've mentioned before where I plan on setting up shop...Top of the hill near the cattle guard...
Hope to see you around out there!

I guess it could have been this fire...I just can't believe I had such a long, uninterrupted LOS to this fire...now I could only see it in the dark, and it was just the orange glow in the naked eye...but this is the only one that makes sense but man oh man, did it fill the valleys in my area full of smoke, especially in the afternoon/early evenings...

Thanks so much for the info

I know where u will be, you took my spot. I'll go up wed and beat you to it. ??.
I have a few places in mind but I should be close by. I'll let you know by Wed where I decided to camp and if you need help and I'm not busy getting my daughter elk out I'll go help you. Just make sure u kill it less than 1 miles from the trail? because my hind legs are not as good as they once were.

I'm leaving Tuesday around 3 am, but I've got a longer drive...so better start early old man! LOL...but seriously, I hope we bump into each other. You can't miss my gaudy truck if it's parked at camp...grey f-150 with distressed American flag on the side and New Mexico DV plates..

I know where u will be, you took my spot. I'll go up wed and beat you to it. ??.
I have a few places in mind but I should be close by. I'll let you know by Wed where I decided to camp and if you need help and I'm not busy getting my daughter elk out I'll go help you. Just make sure u kill it less than 1 miles from the trail? because my hind legs are not as good as they once were.
U can take water in your camper. Its not that cold took mine up on Saturday to get a camp.spot. not the spot I wanted since that camp has been taken since the 1st archery but I'm close to it

I guess it could have been this fire...I just can't believe I had such a long, uninterrupted LOS to this fire...now I could only see it in the dark, and it was just the orange glow in the naked eye...but this is the only one that makes sense but man oh man, did it fill the valleys in my area full of smoke, especially in the afternoon/early evenings...

Thanks so much for the info
I guarantee you that is indeed the fire. I was scouting in 23 for my upcoming muzzleloader elk hunt and watched the same glow/hot spots. Heavy smoke filled canyons making it difficult to glass. It is burning in the Blue Wilderness. My son also had an AZ youth deer tag so I saw if from the West side fire lines as well. It has been burning since August. The thought was rains would eventually come and put it out......which never showed up. It has increased in size and intensity over the last couple of weeks. Jeff

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom