GMU 67 - Mule Deer - 2nd Season - Camping

Omordha

Hey guys,

My father and I will be heading to GMU 67 at the end of October and I have a few questions about camping out on public land.

First of all, are public land camping spots easy to come by out there? When we hunt Nevada, it's fairly easy to find spots along a creek or even out in the open. There's usually a cut in road entrance or two track and evidence of previous campers (flat and cleared out, fire ring, etc...)

We just got back from a Wyoming antelope hunt on BLM land and it didn't seem like anyone camped out there, I know that's probably more in line with "leave no trace" ethics, but even talking to the warden, camping out that way just isn't as common. We did eventually end up find great spot, but I am trying to formulate a better plan heading to Colorado as we spent an entire morning driving around looking for a somewhat flat cleared out area to set up in.

My next question is in regards to weather... I've heard the road system is decent out there, but if we get lucky and weather hits, snow in particular, is camping low closer to pavement the way to go? Just really trying to plan ahead, my dad isn't physically able to do a whole lot anymore and because of his cancer treatments/medications, it really takes a toll on him. Want to be safe and want to give my pops a great hunt. This is a bucket list hunt for him, something we'll only do once and hoping we can leave the Gunnison basin with some great memories...

Last question, is there any good fishing out there worth it to bring a pole for?

Thanks guys and sorry if this is an annoying post. We will be heading out a couple days before the season, so hopefully that helps us in finding a spot to camp.

Plenty of places to camp on public land, but you will have company. You might also want to consider a hotel or Airbnb in Gunnison if comfort for your dad is a top priority. It's not a terrible drive to get to good hunting from town. And, the days are short, so you have plenty of time to get to and from in the dark without sacrificing a good night's rest or any prime hunting hours.

There is an abundance of camping spots. The higher in elevation the more competition for prime campsites, but you will have no problem finding somewhere good to camp. As far as fishing, the creeks and beaver ponds in the unit are loaded with Brookies. There is great fishing all over the basin. There are a lot of mule deer this year. You should have a good hunt.

Plenty of places to camp on public land, but you will have company. You might also want to consider a hotel or Airbnb in Gunnison if comfort for your dad is a top priority. It's not a terrible drive to get to good hunting from town. And, the days are short, so you have plenty of time to get to and from in the dark without sacrificing a good night's rest or any prime hunting hours.

I've never really done the hotel thing for a hunting trip, but I was worried about the weather and my pops heading into this year, so I spent a substantial amount of money purchasing stuff for our base camp. Primarily to make it more comfortable, warm and durable for extreme temps. We tried it out in Wyoming and it worked out great, though, I really don't know what I am getting into when it comes to Gunnison weather, if it gets nasty.

There is an abundance of camping spots. The higher in elevation the more competition for prime campsites, but you will have no problem finding somewhere good to camp. As far as fishing, the creeks and beaver ponds in the unit are loaded with Brookies. There is great fishing all over the basin. There are a lot of mule deer this year. You should have a good hunt.

Great to hear! My dad's never killed a good mule deer, so I am hoping we can find a good representation of the species for him! Not really looking for a trophy, just a good mature buck. He's killed a lot of deer, mostly blacktail and younger class bucks... Our Wyoming trip was his first antelope hunt as well, that was an incredible trip for him and me. If we can kill a good buck in Colorado it is going to be truly special.

My advice? Don't camp in the high country. Sleep is low quality until you acclimate. I love that country. It's my favorite part of the world. Camping sports are everywhere. There are some sweet fishing spots. My wife, two boys, and myself have four tags up there this year. I'll sleep wherever I want when I'm by myself, but with Heidi along it turns into a different style of hunt.

My advice? Don't camp in the high country. Sleep is low quality until you acclimate. I love that country. It's my favorite part of the world. Camping sports are everywhere. There are some sweet fishing spots. My wife, two boys, and myself have four tags up there this year. I'll sleep wherever I want when I'm by myself, but with Heidi along it turns into a different style of hunt.

Yeah, I have had to change and alter quite a bit of plans my father and I have had since his diagnosis. It just is what it is, we hunt differently now, we camp differently now, etc… it’s all worth it to me if it means we get another season together.

I will take your advice and look for a spot low that provides us access. Thank you.

Lots of good advice offered so far. Would you camp in a tent or do have have a camper? How big of a camper? This will dictate how many options you have for a campsite. There are lots of primitive camp spots in 67. What kind of rig will you be driving? Can you handle 2 track 4x4 roads? You can stay in town and be in the unit after driving about 15 minutes. This would make it easier to access both the east and west sides of the unit. Nice to have a warm bed and hot shower.

Be prepared for winter weather. It's been below freezing already and the peaks are getting snow. It might be sunny and in the 50s, or it could be in the teens and blowing snow.

good luck. i hope you guys get a good one for dad and have a good time camping. check out Randy at Traders Rendezvous before your hunt to get your blood pumping looking at a LOT of huge muley mounts!

Lots of good advice offered so far. Would you camp in a tent or do have have a camper? How big of a camper? This will dictate how many options you have for a campsite. There are lots of primitive camp spots in 67. What kind of rig will you be driving? Can you handle 2 track 4x4 roads? You can stay in town and be in the unit after driving about 15 minutes. This would make it easier to access both the east and west sides of the unit. Nice to have a warm bed and hot shower.

Be prepared for winter weather. It's been below freezing already and the peaks are getting snow. It might be sunny and in the 50s, or it could be in the teens and blowing snow.

This is our mobile setup. Put this together just for Colorado this year and we tested it out in Wyoming on our antelope hunt a few weeks ago... hoping I chose right. The tent is 10x14, I can set it up by myself and we use a Mr. Heater Big Buddy tent heater to stay warm. Planning on staying low and relatively close to a highway or main road... been scouring google earth trying to determine some areas that might work for us or areas that look where someone camped previously. We'll be heading out a couple days before the season. Planning on using the UTV for the majority of the travel inside the unit. If weather gets real bad, we may tear down camp and head to a hotel if necessary. Tent is supposed to be 4 season and from the folks that I have talked to who have the same tent as me, they do well in harsh weather.

Inked310135397_10158472578037312_3162984885170459785_n.jpg

good luck. i hope you guys get a good one for dad and have a good time camping. check out Randy at Traders Rendezvous before your hunt to get your blood pumping looking at a LOT of huge muley mounts!

Thanks and will do! I've heard about that place and am definitely planning on taking my dad there before we get to hunting. MY dad is pumped for this trip and has been shooting a lot and working on his dope cards, I've been working on strengthening my back for a pack out if he finds a good one at a decent range! :ROFLMAO:

That camp set up should do the job.
Only suggestion I would make is a pop-up canopy with sides over the table and entrance to the tent.

Yep! Trying to find a heavy duty one, if you have any suggestions or found one that works well, I’d love to hear it. Thanks.

Yep! Trying to find a heavy duty one, if you have any suggestions or found one that works well, I’d love to hear it. Thanks.
I highly recommend this one. You can’t get it with the sidewalls. I have it in Forest Green but there are lots of colors to choose from

D2BC289E-FCD6-459B-8579-727A68D45D35.jpeg

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom