Goat Points

bodhi

What are your thoughts as to how many points it will take to draw a decent antelope tag? Not looking for any specifics but just general info. I know, you can hunt good antelope without any points. But I'm looking for better than average hunts on public land or pay for access in a limited draw area.

Thanks,
B

What is decent?

What I kind of decided is in WY how hard a tag is to draw has more to do with public land than anything else. there are lots of units with similar trophy potential but access to a place to hunt is the difference.

Obviously tag numbers are the other factor, some units are simply over hunted and others are managed more conservative.

I took a book goat in 57 this year but I know bigger ones were taken in units requiring less points.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

I agree with the previous response, but in general IMHO about 5-7 PPs should get you in a unit with decent public access, good numbers of animals, and a chance at an 80" buck IF you have a decent number of days to hunt and walk lots of miles looking for that good one.

Thanks for the replies. I'm just looking ahead 3-5 years and wondering what I can expect. I haven't really given much thought to accumulating points since there are many opportunities to hunt good country without point. However, I've decided I want to go on a "better than average" hunt in a limited draw area so I was inquiring about the general rule of thumb on collecting points for antelope.

Thanks again.

B

I hunt area that isnt known for decent goats. i put in cause its local and i can have a good chance of drawing. I put in for a local area that does produce good bucks for 12 years and never once drawn. While others got it every other year. so like i said i went with a local area known for smaller goats. I found the big goats exist. just have to get a 1/2 mile from the road. Seems like most just want to road hunt. That isnt my style. I admit i do shoot average bucks and my best being 74-76" but they are all archery. i like the spot and stalk challenge and the big boys tend to out smart me. If i waited for rifle i could get that 80" mark. So my point if ya find area you can draw try the method of just getting away from the road.

I agree with nfh. Many antelope hunters are only willing to do the bare minimum in pursuit of a large goat.

just sayin...mh

Yep, that is why we're successful in taking a goat every year that is close to or exceeds 80". You don't shoot ones like that very often out of a truck window the way it seems so many people hunt them!

The diehard trophy antelope hunters I know don't get out and walk the areas. They cover as much ground as possible, and when they find a shooter, they get out and stalk them.

That's arguable.

The biggest goat I heard of taken in the red desert this year was an 86" taken from the hiway . I saw an 84" goat that was taken off the hiway just south of Wamsutter.

I'm sure there are areas where the terrain or hunting pressure makes getting off the road worth while. and obviously hunter pressure makes a big difference. but in open country with good access such as where I hunted the guy who covers the most ground with his glass will see the most goats. more goats mend more big goats. this means covering miles and miles and you only do that from a vehicle. I didn't count but I'd guess I looked at least 1500 goats a day probably 2000. walking I would have seen a fraction of that.

I hate road hunters don't get me wrong. but there are places that it's the only practical way. you sill may have to stalk a mile off road to get the shot as I did, but you found him from the road. consider all options depending on the circumstances.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

>The diehard trophy antelope hunters I
>know don't get out and
>walk the areas. They cover
>as much ground as possible,
>and when they find a
>shooter, they get out and
>stalk them.

I'm getting to be a diehard antelope helper, LOL, and the unit we hunt every year doesn't have enough two tracks to do much glassing. In fact, there are only a couple main roads that you can even drive on to do what you're talking about and we do use the binos and spotting scope where that is possible. However, most of the good bucks we take are observed from high points that we've walked to after parking the vehicle and getting to spots that aren't visible from any road or two track.

Im pretty lucky while working in the oilfields that's most my scouting. From there I discover which valleys they hide in. The goats I hunt live on the mountain in the pine trees even. Those mountain antelope are extremely tricky so I find myself back on the foothills and hayfeilds. I even watch the road hunters pass on big goats cause they don't want to drag them 500 yards.

I like the 70 year old roadhunters. I give them credit for being out. At work I usaully end up draging goats out.for the old timers. I have even driven them up to the goats. The goats know what a work truck is and don't care. A normal truck the goats haul butr away...

1000 ways to hunt goats. Im no antelope pro. I find myself learning more every year.

Good pronghorn hunting can be found in units that take 0pts to draw all the way to max pts to draw. I have 2 buddies that kill 78-80 inch antelope in a unit that a few years ago use to have leftover tags and now they draw about every other year. The biggest thing with pts is usually the more pts a unit takes to draw the more public land it has.

"Go hunt for meat at Walmart."

Much depends upon your definition of "decent buck." Since you said you'd pay a trespass fee, you could also look at the Douglas and Lusk Chambers of Commerce. Gillette may also be the same. They keep lists of ranchers that allow trespass fee hunting and you can draw those licenses every year.

I'd rather hunt a buck every year and pay a trespass fee than wait 5-7 years for a chance on public lands. Some of the hunter management areas can also be pretty good.

Best of luck.

I'm curious, what is a unit for a non-res to hunt antelope? Basically a meat hunt. I live in Colorado and would just like to come up and shoot a 12" buck and have a great time. Are there places like that in WY?

ICMDEER What size Bucks can you expect on those eastern side properties and ball park do you know what they are getting for trespass fees ?

We sure would like to see you take a mature buck not a 12 incher. Get some doe tags for meat and let the youngsters live another year.Doesn't take much effort to find a mature buck.I watch every year a horde of NR take the first 12 incher they see, if you let the young bucks walk we'll have trophies for the future.

>I'd rather shoot 4 does for
>about $170 than a dinker
>meat buck at $280.

Exactly! Why pay a ton of money for one animal with little horns if when you want meat you can hunt does for $48 a piece in the draw and $34 as leftovers!

>What's a decent over the counter
>unit that you can go
>after does as a non
>res?

There is no such thing as an OTC unit. All units are random draw where everyone in the draw is equal with no points being used. Look at the Random Draw odds for NRs on the G&F website to see what units had tags left. Then go into the hunt planner and look at the maps for each one to see how much accessible public land there is to hunt. To ensure there is enough public land if/when you pick a unit you should also bring up a map for that County by doing a search and it will show the public roads they maintain to see which ones touch public land.

Hiring an outfitter does not make you an expert, there are guys posting here that truly know and some are just keyboard warriors. There are big goats in almost every unit in the state. Knowing what one looks like is a totally different problem. Put in for an area that is interesting to you, hunt your butt off(however you see fit). Shoot a goat if he makes you happy and go home!

Learning what a big antelope really looks like is the single most difficult thing about antelope hunting.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom