God is AWESOME :) First day success :) Elk down...

H

huntingdiva

I got an amazing elk with it so I thought I would share my story with you. I am so excited. We went out the morning of September 1st, around 7:30am for my elk hunt in NM. It had been raining all night and during the morning so we had a late start. We had scouted a few weeks earlier, and my fiance had a spot picked out he wanted to head to. So we headed in, as we were coming in we spooked a small 4 by 4 and were bummed as we thought we had gotten in too late, but we decided to go ahead a stay put in the spot he had choosen. Around 9:00 we heard one buggle about 200 to 300 yards away. My finace buggled back, we waited for a short amount of time and the bull buggled back this time 80 to 100 yards now, he was coming quick. :) My fiance buggled back once again and he was there so fast. When I saw him I started to draw back and hit my release,,,my nerves were nuts..It went about 2 feet right by my fiance:( The bull did not even notice it he was coming in and stepped behind a tree, I reloaded my arrow and got at full draw, he was coming right to us. When he was in a clear path, my fiance did a cow call and he stopped, I nailed him,,perfect heart shot..:) He only went 81 yards and down he went. He was dead within minutes. Anyway he is a beautiful 6 by 6 and I could not be happier. What an amazing day.

48c6a7ec3e6a0b2b.jpg

48c6a7b03ce43fdb.jpg

Are you blind??? In case you didn't notice that is a 6X7. Glad to see a posting giving credit where credit is due. keep your heart where it belongs and you will continue to be blessed imensley. great bull but only one problem. Your a girl. I still know a lotta guys who haven't got anything close to that type of bull. Go put him back where you found him!

I'm with Stinky on this one. That is NOT a 6x6! It is a great 6x7. Congratulations, that is a hell of a bull for any hunter! Your "finance" (fiancee) must be proud too!

what a beautiful bull! ur first bull! congrats!!

vinihunt

p.s. didn't ya stopped for a McDonald in Cuba on Sept 1 around 9 pm?

Way to make all the boys jealous! I count 6X7, too. If'n you can hang a ring on it, it's a point!

sorry..6*7 :) I must have hit the wrong key.. lol.. And thanks everybody I was pretty darn happy to harvest such an awesome animal.

No need to apologize. I'd much rather someone downplay their accomplishment as a opposed to some who state their 290" is a 330". Not talking about anyone around here... ;-)

But seventh points are not that easy to come by, so we all stand up and take notice!

by the looks of the swollen colorless eye thing goin on I would say he looks like an oold bull too. I've only shot one bull with a head like that. don't ask me why, but that's the first thing I look at when I get close to bulls. now go home n stay there blondy, we men dont need u getin in our way while were tryin to shoot some rag horns.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-08 AT 10:12AM (MST)[p]Great job Hdiva! Thats an awesome bull and great story! I went over and read/saw it on "J's" site the other night and last night my little girl(16 but still my baby) saw it an freaked out. It was very very inspiring to her as 09 will be her first year bow hunting and hopefully in elk camp as well. You are 100% absolutely "DA GIRL"!!! Big time congrats and thanks for sharing it !!!!

+1 WAY TO GO >>>--------->....NM
PS, what bow are you shooting , need to upgrade my girl....thanx.

Congrats again Huntingdiva! I am Hdivas taxidermist and this bull is BIGGER than it looks guys.The body on this bull is huge.Way to go!

>LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-08
>AT 10:12?AM (MST)

>
>Great job Hdiva! Thats an awesome
>bull and great story! I
>went over and read/saw it
>on "J's" site the other
>night and last night my
>little girl(16 but still my
>baby) saw it an freaked
>out. It was very very
>inspiring to her as 09
>will be her first year
>bow hunting and hopefully in
>elk camp as well. You
>are 100% absolutely "DA GIRL"!!!
>Big time congrats and thanks
>for sharing it !!!!
>
>+1 WAY TO GO >>>--------->....NM
>PS, what bow are you shooting
>, need to upgrade my
>girl....thanx.

That is awesome :) Tell her I wish her luck..I love to hear about girls getting into the sport. I shoot a Hoyt Vectrix, I have it at 50 pds right now. It is a great bow, you can check out all the different Hoyt bows on their website along with detailed descriptions. :)

>by the looks of the swollen
>colorless eye thing goin on
>I would say he looks
>like an oold bull too.
>I've only shot one bull
>with a head like
>that. don't ask me why,
>but that's the first thing
>I look at when I
>get close to bulls. now
>go home n stay there
>blondy, we men dont need
>u getin in our way
>while were tryin to shoot
>some rag horns.

LOL..:)I would live in the woods and hunt everyday if I could.. :) Heading back down 2morrow to do some deer hunting with my fiancee. And we thought the same thing that he looked like an older bull. How old do you think he is?

I'd guestimate 9+? if you look at an elks nose straight on, the older bulls at 7+(based on the molers) will have the sides filled out n have a blocky head. next, at about 9 the funky head thing may start happenin. have your taxidermist look at his molers n give u a better estimate n let me know. again this is just a guess from past research.

>Congrats again Huntingdiva! I am Hdivas
>taxidermist and this bull is
>BIGGER than it looks guys.The
>body on this bull is
>huge.Way to go!

Hello, thanks again. How old would you say my bull is?

Well, he's definitely got the scoobie nose and block head of a mature bull. It's tough to truly judge age withuot looking at the teeth as Stinky has said. But, the rare few bulls I have seen that were aged near or over the 10 year mark usually had shorter very massive racks and are shorter tined, almost stumpy in appearance. This guy has beautiful but thin tipped tines and does not look like he has a ton of mass, all of which lead me to believe that he is not yet a regress bull, or a bull that has quite reached his prime. He's mature but he doesn't look like he's got that old swaybacked bull body, his ears and face don't appear to be scarred up, and it appears that his front top teeth are still showing quite a bit over the gumline. Once bulls hit the 4.5 or 5.5 year old mark they start acquiring the coloration, body mass and block headed look of the mature boys. But, without looking at his teeth I can't truly say. I'd say 6.5 years old? I just don't think that he has the mass to be too old of a bull, but who cares because he is one hell of a great elk!

Great bull. Mr. you better stop cow talking and marry that woman! Most women won't hunt...and a good killer is even a rarer find. May I suggest Alaska for your honeymoon. God bless you both!

Yes he is. The bull and story are pretty good too.

Two more things first time archery hunters can learn.

One is to always have your finger behind the trigger til you are ready to fire.

Two, include in your last second firing checklist that you are on the right pin. A year plus of shooting and I learned this one a week before my hunt (lucky). I went out to target practice and always start with my first shot at 20 yards (top yellow pin) I used the 60 yard pin (bottom, yellow) instead. Include, always be sure of what is behind your target. Had to look for that arrow for a while.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom