Good All-around tripod?

T264

I just bought a st-80 spotting scope and want some of your feedback as to what would be a good all around tripod to purchase. I want to be able to carry it in a Badlands Super daypack, along with the spotter, and to be no more than $175-$200. Does such an animal exist?
T264

I've got the same daypack, and prefer to carry my tripod inside the pack, so that limits you to one that can fold up to about 19". The ST-80 is a pretty stout spotter, but a sturdy mid-weight tripod should do the job. One that has adjustable angle legs that folds up to that size is the Velbon EFL-4. It weighs about 4 lbs, and you can comfortably sit behind it. The tripod probably goes for about $75, then you'll need to get a panhead, which can range from $35 - $250. Jim White is the hunting tripod guru in the west, and he can steer you in the right direction. His # is (928)-635-5316

I've tried a lot of different tripods and the one I always recommend is the Carbon Fiber by Slik. The 613 pro is priced at $239.00 and is about 16" folded up and weighs 1.6 lbs. I have the 713 and would'nt use any other tripod at any price. I like it's light weight, sturdiness, price and the concentric rubber wheels that lock the legs in place. They don't get in the way when you remove it from your backpack like other types of leg locks. Have a look:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...7582&shs=&ci=2636&ac=&Submit.x=15&Submit.y=12
Scroll down to find the 613.

I have a Bogen/Manfrotto 3001BN with a 3265 pistol grip head. I like it quite a bit but would probably go with a different head if I had it to do again.

Well, I said I bjust bought an st80, however the guy selling the thing ended up being a fraud. However, I am in the process of looking for another st80. Anybody want to sell one that is in great condition?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom