Good archery deer hunt with 1 pt

BigPig

Very Active Member
I'm debating whether I want to cash in my CO points or save one more and work in a NV hunt next Summer. I'm all for a backpack trip. I have some limited info on the Ruby's but hear it gets crowded. I don't need an area with monster bucks. I'm the type that prefers more opportunity at good bucks than a slim chance at a giant. Anyone care to share?

I've rifle hunted near the Ruby's a few times over the years. If you are willing to backpack you shouldn't have much trouble getting away from the crowds. Also, your chances of drawing area 10 over others I believe is much better as this unit usually recieves the most tags do to its large size and amount of animals. Good luck!

"You only live once,but if you work it right, once is enough" -Joe E. Lewis

the ruby's will offer a lot of opportunities, several of which will probably be on pretty nice deer. there are a lot of people there but if you pack in youll be fine. another area id recommend is 114,115. it too is pretty easy to draw with archery, there arent nearly the crowds that are in the ruby's and i know a spot that is prone to producing a lot of bucks with a lot of points.

Happy Hunting

LAST EDITED ON Sep-11-08 AT 08:00AM (MST)[p]Thanks. I've just heard even when packing in, going up through Lamoille canyon can be a zoo. Any other trailheads I should consider?

Lamoille Canyon is a zoo. Try starting more around the Harrison Pass area. You might also want to consider the late season archery. I have hunted that several times and have had great success. It is during rut and there are big deer down low. The odds of drawing that area late are 6-1 verses the early season of 2-1 for Non-Residents.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-11-08 AT 10:56AM (MST)[p]Thanks for that tip. How about the Overland lake side? Believe me, I've thought about that late bowhunt too. That might be an option, I'm just trying to iron out my early season. I apply for many hunts across the west and it's a juggling game each year.

On that late hunt, can you hunt it from town and stay in a motel? How much of that lower country is public?

there are alot of deer all around the overland lake area in the early archery season. It is also a nice little spot to camp. For the late season you can stay in town either Spring Creek, Wells or even Eureka if you want to hunt the south side. Depending on where you want to hunt the drive will be 30-45 minutes or so. Pretty much all the area around Harrison Pass is public the only private lands are really just at the base of the mountains.

Great. Thank you, you've been very helpful.

How's the fishing in Overland lake?

On the late season hunt,I know the private land is all at the base of the mountains but isn't that where the deer are that time of year?

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom