Good caliber for western hunt

Bret615

Planning a hunt this coming hunting season for deer in colorado. Up to this point I've been using a 30-06 for elk. Problem is I just had rotator cuff surgery on shooting shoulder. Been told that I probably need to find a new rifle with less recoil. Any suggestions on a caliber that might fit the bill?

Yes, a brake and go hunting.
Recoil will be like a 25 caliber....speaking of caliber.

Zeke

+1 for brake and the beer(s) after the kill will heal any sore shoulders.
A good muzzle break, ear plugs, plus a good 3x9 variable power scope on your rifle, & use 180 grain Nosler Bullets, you’re set to go, sight in dead on at 25 yards, 3 inches high at 100 yards, practice, go kill one !! Never fails ! Keep shooting till he drops. Do no admire the shot !
Jerry Gold - Windsor, Colorado ???

150gr. loaded moderately would work in the 30-06.
But any deer rifle in 6mm, .243, or the current popular 6.5s.
I like the Rem. .260 for 130gr. or lighter 6.5 bullets. The creed more shoots the 140 or so bullets better.
7mm-08, is over looked these days.
I am just recently playing with a 6.5 PRC in a Howa 1500.
Less recoil than a .270 but seems to have a pretty impressive punch, and can push 150-160gr. bullets awfully flat out.

Planning a hunt this coming hunting season for deer in colorado. Up to this point I've been using a 30-06 for elk. Problem is I just had rotator cuff surgery on shooting shoulder. Been told that I probably need to find a new rifle with less recoil. Any suggestions on a caliber that might fit the bill?
Just install a KDF muzzle brake in your rifle with cut recoil down to 20gauge. We installed KDF on 300WBY Mag’s and my 80year old dad could shoot off the bench all day.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom