Good Deeds

bullskin

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON May-03-17 AT 07:49PM (MST)[p]Clownpuncher's post regarding preference points opened up the conversation on poaching. I, for one, always enjoy heart-warming tales about poaching gone bad. For example, I once came across a man speaking broken English who came strolling across a Federal Wildlife Area with a northern harrier in hand. He asked me what kind of "duck" it was and I explained to him that it was quite rare and that the warden would be excited to see it. I don't know what happened after that, but I still smile just thinking about it.

Now, I know that a lot of MMers have better stories than this. Give 'em up.

When I was a young hunter, my Dad would put us in for Fort Hunter Liggett doe tags because it was cheap and close to home. The second year we hunted there, we were at the check in station and the game check in officer told us a story of the past weekend when a deer hunter shot the biggest deer he'd ever seen. It was so big he needed help loading into his truck. When they eventually made it out to where the deer was, the officer told him that wasn't a deer...it's a tule elk! Guy got in some serious trouble. There are more of these "hunters" out there than I'm sure we'd like to think.

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

there was a well known story about an airman in Malmstrom AFB great falls MT who was from down south. The guy went through a check station w/ a "cow" elk taken in a draw unit near my home. The wardens let him go and he took it back and threw a bbq for the base. the next spring the FnG put on a slideshow about wildlife at the base. the last two slides showed the difference between a cow elk and jenny mule. apparently some people were quite disturbed.

Ya ever hear about the Guy from KALI that Hauled that TARDville 'MULE' Deer Home on the Front Bumper Many years ago?:D

[Font][Font color = "blue"]I Changed My Signature Just for NVB!
Like 6 Damn Times Now!

I don't have any poaching stories but have some great trespassing stories.

My uncle and myself a few years back came across a man and his girlfriend hunting elk on my grandfathers property. We asked the guy some questions about who he was and what he was up to. The guy said he was in the military over in colorado springs and was over hunting elk. We asked him if he knew he was on private property and he proceeded to tell us he was on national forest. He pointed to the otc rifle unit map in the big game brochure and stated that everything in yellow was national forest! We showed him on my gps that he was infact on private and a long way from any national forest property. In the end we showed him some public hunting spots on a map that we knew held elk.

Northern UT in the 70's. My Dad and brother where sitting down watching the landscape when two guys from California hiked over to them and started talking. They seemed like nice guys. Ten minutes into their conversation everyone hears movement and breaking branches below. Out pops a moose. My dad is looking at the moose that just appeared and then is completely startled by a gunshot from the guy next to him. The dude shot the moose! My dad was like "what are you doing? That was a moose!" They were certain that it was a deer and could not be convinced otherwise. My dad and brother then got out of there because they wanted nothing to do with that one.

I got this story second hand so a cannot personally verify that its true but in any case I think its funny.

I was in school in Montana and had a buddy who's family owned a ranch and years ago they came out of the house to find a couple of drunk guys parked in the middle of their pasture gutting the horse that they shot in the dark having mistaken it for an elk.

> Ya ever hear about
>the Guy from KALI that
>Hauled that TARDville 'MULE' Deer
>Home on the Front Bumper
>Many years ago?:D
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>[Font][Font color = "blue"]I Changed My
>Signature Just for NVB!
>Like 6 Damn Times Now!

Bess, I've heard a few people reference this story but have never actually heard it for myself. Any way you have a link to the story or could give me the cliff notes version?

In 2005 I ran into a guy at a party that wanted to go hunting elk with us. He said he hadn't hunted much, but really wanted to go. So we get to our spot and hike around the first day without seeing an elk. On the second day we split up. I heard a shot at about 9 in the morning. The guy got on the radio and was excited saying he had shot one. So my cousin goes down to help him out, and radios me. I still remember his words. "you better get down here." When I got there I saw the biggest, blackest, Elk I have ever seen with a webbed horn. Well the guy got trigger happy and couldn't differentiate between an elk and a moose in the lighting. We made it back to camp and called the fish and game. My cousin and I cut the elk up while they went to get people on horses to get it out. That was the longest day of my life! After the fish and game guys talked for a while they came and told him they were just going to issue him a citation.

Several years ago I used to be a logger . One day we were out late working on the equipment, on our way out we ran into a group of guys spot lighting out of a pickup. It was July, in the middle of a game refuge , there was a gun barrel out of all 4 Windows. Turns out it was a group of sheriffs deputies from the flat lands that thought f&g laws didn't apply to them .

I have a "reverse" good deed story.

I was duck hunting at Honey Lake National Wildlife Refuge many years ago. They had a lake that was open to sculling. I spotted two drakes and three hen Ringneck ducks. As luck, and my poor shooting would have it, I ended up killing only one hen.

Later that day at the check out station, the bird counter was looking at my birds and told me I had killed a hen Redhead. Redheads were protected back then. He was all proud about making a bust until I explained it was a hen Ringneck. He called the warden on the radio and the warden drove over and got out his identification book. He couldn't make a positive ID either way, so red faced, they had to let me go. I still chuckle about that.

I was on the Sacto refuge with my Dad 40+ years ago. Foggy, we'd shot several geese near the closed zone. As we were driving out I saw a guy walking down the levee with a duck strap across his shoulder. Hanging off his back were a couple of snows and at least one speck. Hanging across his front was a huge, long necked white bird, hanging below his knees.

Never knew what happened but even at 10 years old I knew a swan when I saw one.

In the early 80's my brother and dad were hunting the general deer hunt, when some hunters from California approached them, and they got to talking. While talking my brother shouted out that there was a huge buck across the draw, without hesitation both Cali hunters started shooting, and downed the "giant buck" When they had finished shooting they looked over at my dad (whose rifle was still on his lap)and asked why my dad had not shot. My dad replied that he didnt have an Elk Tag. The hunters immediately knew they had made a no no, and started to blame my brother for saying it was a "giant buck" and they took his word for it. As luck would have it, as my dad made his way to his truck, there was a fish cop. My dad directed him to where he would find a couple of out of staters that just had a hunt of a life time.

>In the early 80's my brother
>and dad were hunting the
>general deer hunt, when some
>hunters from California approached them,
>and they got to talking.
>While talking my brother shouted
>out that there was a
>huge buck across the draw,
>without hesitation both Cali hunters
>started shooting, and downed the
>"giant buck" When they had
>finished shooting they looked over
>at my dad (whose rifle
>was still on his lap)and
>asked why my dad had
>not shot. My dad replied
>that he didnt have an
>Elk Tag. The hunters immediately
>knew they had made a
>no no, and started to
>blame my brother for saying
>it was a "giant buck"
>and they took his word
>for it. As luck would
>have it, as my dad
>made his way to his
>truck, there was a fish
>cop. My dad directed him
>to where he would find
>a couple of out of
>staters that just had a
>hunt of a life time.
>

Gotta Watch Them KALI Boys!:D

Like 6 Damn Times Now!

I don't know how true it was, but it gave me a chuckle many years ago now. A friend said that at an Illinois (?) check station during a pheasant hunt, the hunters had been required to tag birds. A hunter got out all excited that he had gotten "two white uns and a black un". When the warden opened the car trunk, the hunter had two leghorn chickens and a crow! :)

Many decades ago, my dad and I were hunting ducks and he filled his bag limit so on the way back I got to carry the old Marlin O/U 12 ga. As luck would have it, I rolled a huge white-tail jack and insisted on packing it back to the car.

My dad was a joker so he placed one of his many deer tags on it knowing we'd be stopping at the Daniels Canyon check station.

Upon arrival, my dad proclaimed that he'd shot a deer but was having trouble identifying the sex and hence he had not properly punched his tag.

One guy whistled and waved the others over as my dad popped the trunk. (I could see them salivation as they reached for their ticket-books). After the trunk was opened, they had quite a conversation and finally they agreed to let us pass without a ticket since none of the wardens could identify whether buck or doe.

I have no idea if they enjoyed that or not but we sure did!

Zeke

Thanks for all those stories guys, there are some FUNNY ones! i was laughing my butt off.

Here a story I heard when I was a kid, Dad shot a deer down in the creek bottom and Fish Cop drives up ask for his license he reaches into his pocket and tell the GW that his license is in his other pants, GW tell him well you best help me drag the deer up this hill and then I can see if I can go easy on ya, Dad says great let drag him up the hill, after they drug that nice buck up the hill, GW get out his ticket book,Dad says Hey wait a minute pulls down his pants, reaches into his 2nd pair of pants pocket and hand's the GW his license. GW hollers I thought you said you didn't have your license, Dad says NO I told you it was in my other pants and it was. He then thanked the GW for being so kind to help drag his deer all the way up the hill.
Hell everyone knows you have to wear 2 pairs of pant in a cold winter in South Dakota.LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Good one Gator.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

I heard about a guy from Kali that got his bucks ear poached this past rifle season!
Yep, someone came along and cut an ear off his buck before he could get down to it.

Proud member of the Wolfpack!

>
>I heard about a guy from
>Kali that got his bucks
>ear poached this past rifle
>season!
>Yep, someone came along and cut
>an ear off his buck
>before he could get down
>to it.
>
>
>Proud member of the Wolfpack!

I'd rather have my bucks ears cut off than his horns cut off... but that's just me

I had a friend tell me about a buck his BIL shot on a migration route in Southern Utah about 10 years ago. They were on opposite sides of the draw from each other and when my friends BIL shot the buck, my friend was able to get to it quicker which was only about 100 yards away. The crazy thing was that someone had already tagged it but the couldn't see anyone around or boot tracks. They took the tag and the deer and reported it to the DWR. Come to find out, the buck had been shot and tagged 9 miles from where it was killed. I guess the other guy had unknowingly knocked it out, tagged it. Then headed back to his car for something(I'm not sure what) and when he returned to his bucks location but it was gone. He reported it to the DWR as stolen. I'm not sure of the details after that but what a crazy thing to happen.

On opening day of the general deer hunt one year, we were having lunch when a father and his son approached us in damper moods. According to the man's story, the man and his 14 year old son had split up earlier in the morning to cover both sides of a canyon. Not long after splitting up, the father heard three shots fired from the direction his son went. Excited that his son may have killed his first buck, the father hurried over to find his son standing over three different dead bucks. Apparently the son had spotted one buck standing in a small group of trees and fired - not knowing that the buck went down. After recovering from the muzzle jump, the boy saw, what he figured was the same buck, standing in a similar place in the trees and fired again. The same scenario unfolded once more. After the third shot, the boy could not spot any more deer standing in the trees. Thinking that he must have missed, the boy went over to the trees and found three dead bucks - two 2x2's and one 3x3. Horrified at what had happened, he explained what had happened to his father and they tagged both of the 2x2's. With one deer left untagged, the father approached us and asked if we would be willing to tag the 3x3 - one member of our party tagged the buck and I'll never forget the look of relief that the father and son both had.

That was nearly 20 years ago, and I still remember it vividly. It must have been such a horrible experience for that young hunter, as he was holding back tears the entire time his father was explaining the situation to our party. I bet he never repeated that mistake again.

>I had a friend tell me
>about a buck his BIL
>shot on a migration route
>in Southern Utah about 10
>years ago. They were on
>opposite sides of the draw
>from each other and when
>my friends BIL shot the
>buck, my friend was able
>to get to it quicker
>which was only about 100
>yards away. The crazy thing
>was that someone had already
>tagged it but the couldn't
>see anyone around or boot
>tracks. They took the tag
>and the deer and reported
>it to the DWR. Come
>to find out, the buck
>had been shot and tagged
>9 miles from where it
>was killed. I guess the
>other guy had unknowingly knocked
>it out, tagged it. Then
>headed back to his car
>for something(I'm not sure what)
>and when he returned to
>his bucks location but it
>was gone. He reported it
>to the DWR as stolen.
>I'm not sure of the
>details after that but what
>a crazy thing to happen.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Proud member of the Wolfpack!

Hey ridge?

This Story related to your other Buddies you Talk about?:D

Like 6 Damn Times Now!

>On opening day of the general
>deer hunt one year, we
>were having lunch when a
>father and his son approached
>us in damper moods. According
>to the man's story, the
>man and his 14 year
>old son had split up
>earlier in the morning to
>cover both sides of a
>canyon. Not long after splitting
>up, the father heard three
>shots fired from the direction
>his son went. Excited that
>his son may have killed
>his first buck, the father
>hurried over to find his
>son standing over three different
>dead bucks. Apparently the son
>had spotted one buck standing
>in a small group of
>trees and fired - not
>knowing that the buck went
>down. After recovering from the
>muzzle jump, the boy saw,
>what he figured was the
>same buck, standing in a
>similar place in the trees
>and fired again. The same
>scenario unfolded once more. After
>the third shot, the boy
>could not spot any more
>deer standing in the trees.
>Thinking that he must have
>missed, the boy went over
>to the trees and found
>three dead bucks - two
>2x2's and one 3x3. Horrified
>at what had happened, he
>explained what had happened to
>his father and they tagged
>both of the 2x2's. With
>one deer left untagged, the
>father approached us and asked
>if we would be willing
>to tag the 3x3 -
>one member of our party
>tagged the buck and I'll
>never forget the look of
>relief that the father and
>son both had.
>
>That was nearly 20 years ago,
>and I still remember it
>vividly. It must have been
>such a horrible experience for
>that young hunter, as he
>was holding back tears the
>entire time his father was
>explaining the situation to our
>party. I bet he never
>repeated that mistake again.

Hopefully that PUNK Learned something in a Hurry!

It's not Good when You gotta start looking for someone that's willing to give a Tag Up!:D

Like 6 Damn Times Now!

Here's another one from many years ago. Poaching is still poaching, but it wasn't looked on as seriously by some of the locals. Can't remember names and dates, but one of the colorful locals stopped by a local watering hole for a drink after cutting a load of firewood. One of the other townsfolk came into to the bar full of locals, so everybody knew each other, and announced that the woodcutter had "better get his firewood home rather quickly before it BLEEDS to death!" :)

>Here's another one from many years
>ago. Poaching is still poaching,
>but it wasn't looked on
>as seriously by some of
>the locals. Can't remember names
>and dates, but one of
>the colorful locals stopped by
>a local watering hole for
>a drink after cutting a
>load of firewood. One of
>the other townsfolk came into
>to the bar full of
>locals, so everybody knew each
>other, and announced that the
>woodcutter had "better get his
>firewood home rather quickly before
>it BLEEDS to death!" :)
>

Come On Pete!

You've Got Names!:D

Like 6 Damn Times Now!

>
>
> Hey ridge?
>
>This Story related to your other
>Buddies you Talk about?:D

Nope. Different friend and different part of the state.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom