Good heck, can I go camping yet?

schoolhousegrizz

Very Active Member
So I am trying to find out where if anywhere in the state I am not allowed to camp. I was hoping to go camping in Grand county the first week of May. Does anyone know where to find this information?

So I am trying to find out where if anywhere in the state I am not allowed to camp. I was hoping to go camping in Grand county the first week of May. Does anyone know where to find this information?
The closing of public lands is one of my biggest issues with this whole deal!

Why do we allow some small town county council to close off BLM and Forest Service? I guess it's a good thing I don't have a spring bear hunt this year.

I was out hunting turkeys in the LE season. There are dry camps everywhere. There was more people than there was turkeys. Saw 3 camps with 4-6 trailers in a group. Good luck!

If I wanted to camp of Forest land, I'd go the the appropriate forest web site and right on the front page you'll see what's closed. Generally, improved campgrounds, trail head parking, forest owned boat ramps, and forest owned day use areas.
I'd do the same for BLM.

Didn't this get repealed? I know the legislature was addressing this though extension of the current mandate where a county could not make it more restrictive than the state. Kinda lost track of it though anyone else have any insight?

Like Grizz, I have a huge issue with this.....

I haven't seen anything from the state regarding local closures.

Garfield County just rescinded their order today.

Screenshot_20200420-153438_Drive.jpg

There is a bill that is part of the special legislative session called last week, but it got a ton of push back because people didn't understand it. HB3009 is the bill. The special session is going to reconvene this week and there will be more dialogue.

If you are concerned with non-elected county health departments making an order that impacts you as a non-county resident, I would contact your state legislator in both the house and the senate and tell them they need to fix this, and now. I have been making contacts and most people are sympathetic.

It is downright wrong, even if they have the power to do so, for a county health department to tell me I can't go fishing on a lake in their county because I do not reside in their county. (Or camping, or hunting, or any other outdoor recreation that we have the right to do.)

If you don't know your representative or senator, first...shame on you! But here is an easy way to figure that out and then contact them and let them know we expect the state to protect our rights as citizens. https://le.utah.gov/GIS/findDistrict.jsp

It’s total bs. They say the entire Strawberry reservoir is closed to everyone except Wasatch county residents. Screw that. I fished there yesterday, nobody said anything. Going back tomorrow.

I had no trouble camping in the Wah Wah valley last week. (about 60 miles west of beaver)

No trouble at Topaz Mountain the week before that.

From what I’ve seen everyone is out camping. I don’t think people care about any orders in place. Saws camps over Easter with 40-50 people

It’s total bs. They say the entire Strawberry reservoir is closed to everyone except Wasatch county residents. Screw that. I fished there yesterday, nobody said anything. Going back tomorrow.

Hey, me too! Today was a good day.

Lots of orders changed or are changing this week. I think they’re feeling the heat from the discussion the legislature is having right now about health departments and their powers.

There is zero reason to give a health department the authority to decide who can fish in that county and who can’t. Zero reason whatsoever.

Given what we know about this virus and the social distancing recommendations the best place you can be is outside!!! Happy to see that Grand county has rescinded the order on camping. Now they need to open the state parks following the social distancing recommendations.

Everyone wants to and WILL do what they can to protect the most vulnerable while observing most restrictions but the restrictions have to make sense (and many of these don't)

This entire thing with the state & county closures blows my mind.

ALL federally owned land belongs to every man & woman that pays taxes in the US.
I am not a UT resident, but the state sold me a hunting / fishing license & a turkey tag. Next weekend I will be setting up a camp, fishing & scouting for turkey, then come 5/4 hunting on the BLM land that belongs to the citizens of the US. PERIOD!!!

Was there a press release or something? I hadn't seen that yet.

Here is more acccurate info on that topic. Some have changed, Grand County has not. (yet)

you are right vanilla, my enthusiasm and reading comprehension got ahead of me!!!! I was confusing Grand with Garfield

you are right vanilla, my enthusiasm and reading comprehension got ahead of me!!!! I was confusing Grand with Garfield

I think we’ve all been very confused with the individual county orders and inconsistencies around the state because of them. No reason to be ashamed of that, you’re in good company!

Which is exactly why they shouldn’t have the authority to do this.

Did you see Sand Hallow this weekend ? I would say you are missing out. haha. They had to lock the gates to keep people out. On the mountain I was surprised how many trailers where scattered everywhere down low !

For those of you wondering Still tons of snow up high above 8500 feet. Fish lake is still ice. But my boat dock is ready. ???

E54E9544-C4DD-46EF-9CC1-1BA33E3D658A.jpeg

14B373FE-83B8-436A-9477-B7E6C95A8FE0.jpeg

783BC5C6-C6F9-4271-A258-25AEB547DE53.jpeg

Pretty ridiculous what happened down south, but I don't blame people for wanting to get out. You can't keep people bottled up inside forever.

Thanks for the pics BIg John.

Im headed down that way to Mill Meadow Thursday.
There where campers all around Mills fishing. Maybe it was just because it was the weekend. It looks pretty full. Have fun. If you head up the mountain. Give me a report on Seven mile. I would like to drive into the cabin sometime soon in a truck ! :) :)

Since Grand County has been closed we have had more people than I have ever seen coming through town to camp on the desert in Emery County.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom