Good high country deer hunts

DidIDraw

I hunted deer in Region G, WY for the first time this year and I really enjoyed the solitude and great hunting. Since I won't get another tag here for a few years I'm looking for other places that I could replicate this experience.

NV seems to have a number of early season (Sept and early Oct) rifle/muzzleloader deer hunts in the high mountains but I don't have a feel for which are better than others. The more remote the better for me.

Anyone willing to share some insights?

Really any area in Nevada has high country and good deer populations. Everybody certainly has their preferences but really if you are willing to work for them there are big deer in every unit. I would look at the draw odd sheets and look at your odds for non resident in the time periods you are looking for and go from there. Take a look at the ones that are easier to draw and those are obviously the ones that are not as popular. I typically put in for a couple that are really hard to draw and a couple that the odds are better. Those zones with easier odds still hold good deer, just have to work a little harder.

Feel free to pm me if you want my two cents on zones, but you are going to get something different from everybody.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-24-18 AT 01:50PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-24-18 AT 01:49?PM (MST)

Agree with Deerlove - Most any unit in NV will have mature bucks. But most units will not produce deer like region G can. Genetics and probably summer feed.
I think you'll see a lot less hunters in the NV high country compared to Region G. Definitely a quality hunt, but NV does not produce many 180"+ outside those hard to draw SE units.

I'm OK hunting 160 bucks if that is what the genetics/habitat produce for a given unit. I'm mostly interested in finding a place with a relatively good concentration of bucks and some solitude. It was so refreshing to spend more time just hunting rather than trying to outguess lots of other hunters.

Try the Rubys easier draw odds on Muzz and the first 2 rifle hunts.

just plan seeing a lot of 2x3 and 3x4s. Pressure is low in backcountry.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom