good map

I just ordered 2 topos for 16B from mytopo.com nice web site check it out

LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-08 AT 00:57AM (MST)[p]
Good topos are important, but I also HIGHLY recommend you get BLM 1:100,000 land status maps for the area you intend to hunt. They are a great scale and show land ownership status which is extemely helpful in making sure you're hunting on public property.

There are also several landowners in NM who receive unit wide (ELK) landowner tags, requiring them to open their private land to public (ELK) hunters. Many of these great ranches are never used by public hunters (especially in the Gila) because few take the time to scout and study these oportunites and the NM Game and Fish doesn't do much to let public hunters know which of these private ranches are open to them, and rest assured the landowners are not advertising it.

I found a site or two to get the BLM maps, I think the price of these maps is standard where ever you get them. you can get them for the whole state at any BLM or USFS office in NM

http://plicmapcenter.org/view.php?typ=&ag=&st=NM
http://mapexp.com/index/blm/usa.htm

To find the list of private ranches that are signed up UW (unit wide) go to the NMDGF website

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/

go to HUNTING (picture of a mule deer buck)

and under "private land hunting" go to

"2008-09 E-plus landowner list"
http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/recreation/hunting/documents/ELK_RANCH_LIST.pdf

If you show up with a BLM map and a copy of that list when you come to scout (for an elk hunt), you can find many a honey hole that you're likely to have all to yourself. To the best of my knowledge, landowner deer tags are only valid on the landowner's deeded acres, so are not open to public hunters without expressed written permission.

hope that helps.

that's some good info but how do you locate a certain ranch????on the e-list it gives landowner's name and address and phone # but that ranch can be anywhere in that unit.any info will be greatly appreciated.

iceman

Iceman- That's what I mean when I say that NM Game and Fish doesn't do a very good job of letting hunters know the oportunities available. If you go to their (NMDGF) website, they actually have maps available of the antelope ranches for hunters to aquire maps of the ranches that they've been assigned to for their antelope hunts. There are a lot of differences in the elk system and the antelope system, but it shouldn't be that far of a stretch for the department to make similar maps available to the public of E-plus (Unit Wide elk) ranches on their website. I understand that the Game and Fish are trying to get electronic maps built for UW elk ranches, but I've heard that for more than a couple of years, so who knows.

Right now, it takes some leg work to find these places. Most people that use the E-plus list are simply interested in aquiring the landowner tags that are given to the landowner, but I guess one could also call the landowners and ask them about their ranches, and where they are at. Very many of these landowners that sell their tags have one provision, that the hunters use them anywhere BUT their property. Often times the landowner sells his tags to an outfitter who hunts the ranch and public land. I wouldn't expect a landowner to be too entirely cooperative in ENCOURAGING hunters to come and hunt their property, but if they are signed up UW unit wide they or their outfitter cannot keep you from hunting there, and if they try in any way to keep you from it, call the Game Warden right away and let them know.

Some units have better private land oportunities than others. Many of the larger ranches sign up RO- (Ranch Only), meaning their tags are only valid on the deeded acres of the ranch, and they keep public hunters out. Just glancing at the list- GMU 15 and 34 are two of the major elk units that come to mind as units I'd really try to use this information while I was scouting pre-season. I've hunted GMU15 and hunted BLM and Private ranches in the perifery of the US Forest and was into some gigantic bulls with few other hunters to hassle me or the bulls. NM requires landowners to include their name and contact information in order for a "No Tresspassing" sign to be concidered legal, and it's usually not that hard to find the name of the ranch or the owner of a ranch. For those guys who put the time in pre-season to scout, if they had the list of landowners and a good BLM map that outlines well the private land versus the USFS or BLM or State land, opportunites can be found.

As for me, I think the more hunters distribute themselves throughout the unit, the better hunting experience we all will have. Plus the reason these landowner's tags are valid for the whole unit is because of the trade off the public hunters are supposed to get get back in the hundreds of thousands of acres that are opened up to them to hunt. I just think we public hunters ought to be utilizing what is supposed to be our end of the bargain.

I hope this helps someone.. I may re-post this thread under a different title so more folks can see it.

Ordered two maps from Mytopo.com friday evening. The personalized e-mail response to the order was received first thing Monday morning. I really like the way they break down certain maps by hunting unit, within some States. Sure wish they would offer this serve for Colorado as well..

Can't wait to receive them in the mail.

NM game and Fish requires a Public Information Request be faxed in, then their attorneys look it over, allow or dis allow the request, determine a cost, then get back to you.

A real pain.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom