Good ole days!

Muleman1

Very Active Member
Man wish these days were still around! Ran across this box at the ole mans house today.$9.49 for a box of 7mm bullets
image.jpg

I remember in the early '60's visiting my grandparents , who lived about a 5 minute walk from the Weatherby store in Downey, California. My grandfather used to take me to it whenever I visited him. It was such a thrill, even back then. That is an old cartridge box!
I looked up the address on the box, it looks like a run down auto repair place now, in a bad part of town.

Soon as Weatherby moved to Wyoming, I bought one of their made in Wyo rifles.

Want to see what your guns, etc. cost 60 years ago? I have several Gun Digest books from the 1960s listed in the Classfied section. I also have the same vintage of several Stoeger's Shooting Bibles that I haven't yet listed. If I only knew then what I know now. :rolleyes:

My closets are filled with some really ol' stuff, but I'm too old & don't have the energy to look. :ROFLMAO:

Pretty cool.
Modern Technology.
I wonder if anyone back then had any idea what it would lead too!
I like the guys in the silvertip ad wearing plain pants, shirt and fedora hats. What do we spend now just to dress to hunt? I know wages were a lot less back then.

It's funny in a way how guns, cartridges and scopes back then were used to take everything in North America and advertised as such and now some of those same guns, cartridges and scopes are considered weak and obsolete.

I'm always wondering how many Redundant 6.5, 27 28, 30, 32, 33 calibers they can come up with.

Gun Cabinet.jpg

Here is an old photo of my old man holding his Savage 99.
This was taken in the late '40's or early '50's. That rifle was chambered in a .250 Savage round. Back in those days it was safe to have a gun cabinet like such. Not today! He never hunted, but enjoyed shooting firearms. I still have some of his pistols.

View attachment 34772
Here is an old photo of my old man holding his Savage 99.
This was taken in the late '40's or early '50's. That rifle was chambered in a .250 Savage round. Back in those days it was safe to have a gun cabinet like such. Not today! He never hunted, but enjoyed shooting firearms. I still have some of his pistols.
Love the old Savage 99's. Have three of them. Killed my first several deer and elk with the Savage. Hope we don't have to change its name with all this political correct stuff. LOL.

Want to see what your guns, etc. cost 60 years ago? I have several Gun Digest books from the 1960s listed in the Classfied section. I also have the same vintage of several Stoeger's Shooting Bibles that I haven't yet listed. If I only knew then what I know now. :rolleyes:

My closets are filled with some really ol' stuff, but I'm too old & don't have the energy to look. :ROFLMAO:
You probably have some old Herter's catalogs laying around. I loved those catalogs!

You probably have some old Herter's catalogs laying around. I loved those catalogs!
I have only one. In my office behind my desk is a 10' long wall that has book shelves floor to ceiling. They're filled with outdoor-oriented books from the '60-90s. A lot are 1st editions, and many of the ones I've sold over the last few months were autographed copies by some well known folks such as the late Pat McManus. Another closet is crammed full with Plano tackle boxes that are filled with lures & plastic baits. I haven't looked at them in 10 years or so -- about the time since I last wet a line. :rolleyes:

Back in the mid 1960's or early 70's this old guy I knew said he'd give me a box of shells for every limit of ducks I would bring him. That was a heck of a deal for me because I couldn't afford to buy very many. I would bring him his ducks and he would hand me a box. I never knew what I was going to get. Even a box of 28 gauge. Eventually I got ahead and had lots of shells. When everybody went to plastic I just put these away. I only saved the full boxes.

old shells 003[7062].JPG

Fun to see all of the old boxes of shotgun shells, brings back a lot of great memories...as a long time shotgunner, I remember shooting alot of that ammo. I still have a bunch of it but haven't put it out on display.

I have nearly all the older gun digest books including the first issue which I believe was 1945. I even have duplicates in some of the older years. I don't have all of the 2,000's though. I planned on swapping the duplicates one of these years;)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom