Good unit to use 23 nr pps. For deer

JC

Back in the game maybe again..after a bit of bad times..looking to find a decent hunt..maybe muzzleloader! Any zones pop up as good?

Isn’t a hunt in the state right now that is worth that amount of points. 44 4th, 66 4th, 67 4th are going to be what most will say but all three can be brutal tough when it comes to finding mature 180 plus inch bucks with the track record of the past couple years...

Hey Coloradoboy..thought I'd here from you..thanks for reply..like to chat with you a bit sometime...got to find a decent game plan

Coloradoboy ..just getting back..phone died..are deer hunts in colorado pretty bad right now..weather..numbers..? Just looking to cash in..fun hunt first priority..need some ideas is all..

Yes..non resident...tried contacting you quite a few years ago concerning 201..then life changed and hunting priority came crashing down..that's why I say I'm back..lol

Check the draw statistics and see how many points it’s taking to draw 44 and 66 third and fourth seasons.
Don’t forget to add a point or two four-point creep and keep in mind there may be more applicants this year because of the later seasons dates.

What kind of buck are you looking to kill? 160-180? 180+? 200+ what is going to make you happy. Thats a boat load of points to spend.

Fun hunt first..not too worried about score..dont think I could really score a buck visually...if your asking then I suppose I would love to get a crack at a BIG ONE..seems to me from what I'm reading that not too many folks are sure that the herds are doing any good..I'm guessing a hunt where there could be a number of deer a guy could glass every day and then try and get the best looking one!! Good one would definately be nice...

fyi, last year you needed 24 or 25 pts to draw the 4th season. I know a NR guy that was going to burn 25 and he was thinking he'd have to get luck considering the numbers.

Sad to say but not one of the NW units are worthy of these points. If size is not of huge concern rather instead experience and solitude then I would suggest 2/201. Don't expect much over 170 and plan on days of work to locate that one buck that fits the bill.

Thank you for reply..I've been on 201 during late rifle..and you describe it just as I experienced it..the late season too..except no weather..it was like spring..that is beautiful up there..what I wanted to see is where elk were hanging..I never found them!! I was solo so I was being pretty careful..and I didn't see TOO many deer..nothing was big either..But that said I didn't know very many places to look..son then got in motorcycle wreck cut off pinky and I came home early..GREAT..

I'm feeling a lot worried that there is no where in state that a guy cant get a good hunt! Seems to be poor population consensus.. has anyone gotten into a good population of huntable deer in a high preference pt. Hard to draw hunt

A hunt is what you make it. The areas with the best genetics (Eagle and Gunnison counties) are going to be tougher due to lower densities of deer and the 3rd and 4th season hunts are super weather and rut dependent. Something like a unit 21 3rd season tag will give you the ability to see a good number of deer, but you’re going to be hard pressed to find something over 4 years old and over the 160 to 170 class. Bottom line is there is no golden ticket unit/hunt in the entire western half of the state right now. Sad reality is you could of burnt those points back in the mid 2000’s and had an incredible hunt in a place like 21,44,54,55,66,67 or 551. But I get it life gets in the way and priorities change.

Check The CO road cameras. South central CO has had a fairly mild winter with little snow on the horizon. Even if heavy snow comes now it is late enough that the herds should be ok. With your points, I would suggest applying for a 4th season. It probably won't get any better with the the hunting seasons being moved later and the increase amount of tags being issued. Maybe right now is as good as it gets for some time. Good Luck

So gunnihunter.or any other insite out there.you think this years winter will help next years hunts or should I say 2020 hunts..where best CHANCE for decent hunt..not expecting trophies around every tree or even bunches of bucks...but of course a just good decent hunt...not many years left for me!! Thanks for thoughts..well respected!!

JC, I think this year's snow amounts will not hurt the deer herds the way the previous year did.
If you want to hunt 2020, I think any of Coloradoboy's suggested GMUs would be good choices. Other units could be suggested also. I prefer the Gunnison Basin because I know it best. Since you have accumulated so many points, I personally would apply for a unit that requires the most points for which I would be assured of drawing. Check the statistics to see where you have the best opportunity to draw. From what was reported all around Colorado last year, it doesn't appear anything is guaranteed. The reports from Gunnison were poor for the most part. That being said, I would put in for Gunnison 4th season and hope for snow. I'm sure others would disagree.

I use to drive from Calif. to Colorado in Nov. and purchase a 3rd season deer tag in Eagle CO at the pharmacy. Hunt unit 44 for the whole season and kill some nice bucks. To build points for 20 plus years to hunt the same unit sounds absolutely ridiculous.

I use to drive from Calif. to Colorado in Nov. and purchase a 3rd season deer tag in Eagle CO at the pharmacy. Hunt unit 44 for the whole season and kill some nice bucks. To build points for 20 plus years to hunt the same unit sounds absolutely ridiculous.
Those sure were the good ol day’s

I chased unit 44/3rd season for 15 years until I realized I would never draw it.
I finally used my 15 points on a Gunnison 4th season and had a great time and killed a nice buck. I’m glad I’m out of the so called ridiculous waiting game.
It will be interesting to see if the hunts that are 0 and 1 point draws will become affected by point creep?

It is ridiculous...but that's how its played out..wasn't just Only just trying to get points..did a lot of other things which was first getting 1 pt. Then 2nd pick go bowhunt!! Or muzzleloader hunt 2nd..That's how it goes!! Just too many people trying to kill a diminished herd of animals now

Here's the whole thing in a nut shell. You have a unit that has the rep of producing 200" bucks. However it takes 20 plus years to draw the tag. Alot happens in those 20 plus years while your waiting. You have this vision of killing this fantastic buck while waiting for this tag to appear. As you get closer and closer to drawing this tag it takes on this larger than life expectation that this nirvana of hunts is about to come true. It finally happens, you draw that Unit 44 3rd season tag. The anticipation is mounting you just know you are going to kill this Monster Muley that you have waited for for nearly 2 and a half decades. You hunt hard for 7 hard day's and the biggest deer you have in rifle range is a 170" 4x4 and you pass to hold out for that buck of a lifetime you have dreamed about for 25 years. You come home and eat your tag. That about somes it up. For me I spend $800 for a trespass fee. Hunt 3rd season Colorado every year and kill a 160 to 175" buck every year and love it.

BenHuntn, I have the same experience as you, we used to get to hunt 44, now I've been building points for 18 years and realize that I'm probably not to going to catch up and am nervous about the current deer situation everybody is describing and not quite sure what to do, but in the last year or so I came to the decision that I want to cash my points in and figure out a new plan. Now, my alternate unit 44 plan doesn't sound to promising either. I had decided that I wanted to cash in my points next year 2021, but not sure what to do after reading about the current deer forecasts on here

I hear ya. To be perfectly honest I was in the point game for 14 years in hopes of one day drawing a unit 44 3rd season tag, then all of the sudden I said screw it and cashed them out on a 4th season hunt in unit 3 Private Land. I would of given my left nut to hunt 44 one more time, however I was getting too old. By the time I woud have drawn the tag I'd be in a wheel chair.

ben huntn . where are you finding a trespass tag for $800? Ill take that deal
I got lucky I guess. I kept calling the landowner over and over then one day he told me he bought somemore land and gave me a chance to hunt it. He charges $800 for the 3rd season and $200 for a landowner voucher if I need one. Me and my family are the only ones that hunt that particular part of his ranch. Oh and a few good friends.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom