Goodale/G3

sagebb

looks like we had a weather move in and dump a little snow on the crest with more on the way, with hopes it brings down some big boys for the hunt! gonna head out this weekend and break out the phoneskope. any body gettin any good photos of anything good?

was up around onion valley on thanksgiving day, very little deer have moved in. It was snowing up high so any day now they will be moving in.

That hunt is NOTHING like it used to be 10-15 years ago.....I can't believe folks use their max points on it for average mule deer. Much better hunts in the state, IMO. I'd be surprised if anything over 165? net gets taken from what I've seen the last few years photographing there.

BOHNTR )))---------->

true true, your definitely right! i'd like to think there still a few big boys cruisin around still, but was optimistic with the little bit of weather we've had lately.

>That hunt is NOTHING like it
>used to be 10-15 years
>ago.....I can't believe folks use
>their max points on it
>for average mule deer.
>Much better hunts in the
>state, IMO. I'd be
>surprised if anything over 165?
>net gets taken from what
>I've seen the last few
>years photographing there.
>
>
>BOHNTR )))---------->
Exactly right, I agree !

https://www.sagemuleys.com

LAST EDITED ON Dec-04-18 AT 08:44PM (MST)[p]Saw this one posted earlier

olD4qip.jpg

Great CA buck. To bad Nickman does not visit any more. He always had some nice bucks to post up.
Bill

Looking up that way now on my lunch walk. Nice snow as far as I can see. It's probably a good day for those still hunting with this snow. Bet a few more really good bucks are taken.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-18 AT 08:55PM (MST)[p]Was fortunate to be able to help an old friend out this year with his G-3 hunt. Glassed up some bucks high in a remote canyon. We made the 2400 ft climb and positioned ourselves several hundred yards away and began to seriously pick apart the landscape with our optics. A total of nine bucks and over twenty does were viewed before we caught a slight movement of antler tips sticking up ever so slightly above a distant boulder. Close inspection over the next several hours led us to believe that this was an old cagey warrior worthy of the tag. Finally, after 5 hours of patiently waiting for him to stand, he arose and was met by a single lethal shot from the .300 RUM at 430 yds.

What a buck. What a hunt.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2018/13981b0208e5bb8d3412395a12205b6dbbfaa.jpeg

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2018/55841b0de8355a461482ab4862aa107be87f4.jpeg

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2018/32352807445d9da754a4192a3d9e39954d07d.jpeg

Awesome deer....congrats to the hunter!

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

now you got er! those are some nice bucks! think i still would held out for somethin just a tad bigger on the goodale but hey! to each their own!

No doubt, first buck was watched from grays campground for 5 days, buck never left the top of the peak and Eric the hunter just took a liking to him and took him on Thursday after a lengthily hike.
Second picture was the buck I took on Wednesday evening just a little south of Shepard?s pass trail head. I wanted something bigger but had obligations to got to my son?s nor-cal final football game. Plan was to come back up if they lost . Long story short I had feeling they would win and I like the height and width of the buck so I took him, glad I did because they ended up winning that game and won the state Division 6 championship the following weekend.
The last picture was of my new friend mike who took his Buck on Tuesday, his son left on Monday due to work obligations so we hunted together for a few day being we were both by ourselves. He watched his buck for a few days and decided to take him. We hunted hard but just didn't see the that many bucks that most would consider a trophy.
Lesa Thatcher a local guide sent me a few pictures of bucks she spotted a few days later that were good 4 points. She told me it had been pretty bad season for good bucks. We all had a great time and like you said to each his own. We do have some regrets but are happy with what we got. I'll send more photos of other bucks we saw and the pictures of bucks Lesa sent.

Pictures of Bucks this year during the G3 hunt. Close up photos are with a phone scope. First 6 photos are the last week of the hunt of 2 bucks.

Did the buck in pictures #5 & #6 hit the ground?? Would really like to see a closeup photo of that one. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I my go down there latter this week and look around.
Bill

The pictures of both Bucks were Taken on Dec.13th 3 days before season ended by Bear creek off of foothill rd., So there's probably a good chance they made it. I'm not sure if your familiar with a guide who I believe lives in Big pine by the name of Lesa Thatcher. She sent me the photos, she runs all over the area and knows about most every buck that's alive or has been taken. If you need her info. Let me know and I'll send it to you. Sweet gal and very knowledgeable of area. I know she helped out several people during this years hunt just because she loves it. If you do spot some good bucks up there post them up I'd love to see them. Merry Christmas!!!

Wow those are some good bucks especially the last one, what a toad

I passed on a big two point this year that would have went 30" I love big two points

>That hunt is NOTHING like it
>used to be 10-15 years
>ago.....I can't believe folks use
>their max points on it
>for average mule deer.
>Much better hunts in the
>state, IMO. I'd be
>surprised if anything over 165?
>net gets taken from what
>I've seen the last few
>years photographing there.
>
>
>BOHNTR )))---------->
Exactly right, I agree !

https://www.sagemuleys.com
I have max points...Where should I apply?

That hunt is NOTHING like it used to be 10-15 years ago.....I can't believe folks use their max points on it for average mule deer. Much better hunts in the state, IMO. I'd be surprised if anything over 165? net gets taken from what I've seen the last few years photographing there.

BOHNTR )))---------->
I think this is a "cut and paste" comment/opinion from last year...and the year before, and the year before that....etc, etc. In fact, I went back as far as I could in the archives and virtually the same appears there!

By now, maybe we should just accept G3 for what it is....

I think this is a "cut and paste" comment/opinion from last year...and the year before, and the year before that....etc, etc. In fact, I went back as far as I could in the archives and virtually the same appears there!

By now, maybe we should just accept G3 for what it is....
Doubt this was a cut and paste comment from last year since you replied to a 5-year old post.

Doubt this was a cut and paste comment from last year since you replied to a 5-year old post.
I know it’s an old post… I went back through all 80 some on pages of posts here in the California forum and every year in the G3/Goodale threads, a post from the same individual appears with pretty close to the same wording.

Funny thing is, most years, no matter what the weather is, a really great buck or two are killed in the unit that rival anything else taken in this state.

So, one can’t help wonder…..maybe, just maybe,, it actually is worth waiting for.

I know it’s an old post… I went back through all 80 some on pages of posts here in the California forum and every year in the G3/Goodale threads, a post from the same individual appears with pretty close to the same wording.

Funny thing is, most years, no matter what the weather is, a really great buck or two are killed in the unit that rival anything else taken in this state.

So, one can’t help wonder…..maybe, just maybe,, it actually is worth waiting for.
AGREED!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom