Goodale update

BigMass

I got to Lone Pine late yesterday afternoon. Armed with information entrusted to me by members of this site I started learning the areas and roads as well as scouting this morning and evening.Saw over twenty bucks today mostly small,three mediums, and one nice buck. 5X5 24" high 24" wide medium mass, very dark antlers not a shooter for me maybe my wife if he lasts that long. Probably won't, not very spooky. My assessment so far: Onion valley Rd and Division creek hold a lot of deer, everyone knows about them and they have easy access. Lots of small to medium bucks fairly close to road. Will avoid these two places opening weekend.Have a harder to get to spot in mind, will definitely revisit first two spots in midweek if needed. Medium bucks are chasing does but they don't seem fully ready to cooperate, they seem on the verge but a few days away. After opening weekend takes its toll on three pointers maybe more big bucks will move down to service does.Saw 9 other hunters scouting today, expect more tomorrow.

Bigmass.....cool that you took in the busy spots early. Now you have time to find a place to hunt.

I looked for you yesterday and today at Taboose....are you staying in Lone Pine?

Hi Nicman,
I was there in the middle of the day yesterday. I am leaving for there right now(4:50am). Likely where I will hunt opening morning. I am staying at Boulder creek RV park in Lone Pine. I have an Artic Fox trailer in the pull through section. My cell is 707-592-0104.

Very little, but that is mostly due to the warm weather. The does are on the verge but they haven't come in yet so you have a little sparing with young bucks but the big boys aren't down. The only concentration of deer are onion valley rd and division creek. A lot of small bucks and a few medium bucks. I scouted Taboose creek at daylight this morning. I hiked up to the base of the mountain and worked south across the fingers glassing every chute and draw as I worked my way south. All the sign I found was at least a week or two old and couldn't spot a deer. With no weather in sight I'm hoping for the rut to come into full swing the second week of the season. Some of the big boys should come down to service the does even if it stays warm. Apparently after the snow there were a lot of deer down but most have moved back up. I'm going to hike up above Goodale creek in the morning but I don't think I'll find much. Hopefully patients will pay off.

I wouldnt hold out waiting for the rut to start I was on the doyle muzzy hunt three weekends ago and the rut was in full swing big bucks with does and many bucks with there noses down with out a care in the world looking for a scent.Most of the deer wernt even on the winter grounds yet still up high and they were rutting.In my area of D-3 the rut has also been going on for some time also and Iam sure it winding down not as many sightings as there were in the last few weeks.Good luck I hope you can find a monster but it seems like this year you will need to be up high even though its december.

From what I have seen here and what the locals that I have talked to have observed It seems the unusually warm weather has delayed it a bit. I'm not a wildlife biologist just my opinion. Normally at this point I would put on my pack, take my boning knife, and head up high, but with my shoulder operation two and a half weeks ago I am unable to do this. I will hunt as high as I can and keep looking for a really good buck, I have two weeks and it certainly wouldn't be the first tag I have eaten. I may not know a lot but I do know one thing for certain, those that panic and shoot a lesser buck have no chance at a big one. I personally would rather keep hunting and wait it out. I am not at work, I have the smell of sage on my pants, I am hiking in a beautiful area every day with Mt. Whitney as a back drop. For me that is about as good as it gets. Not that a big old buck wouldn't enhance the experience, but it is very sweet already.

Great attitude BigMass! There is a lot more to a good hunting experience than just the shooting of a Buck, you summed it up very well.

>Great attitude BigMass! There is a
>lot more to a good
>hunting experience than just the
>shooting of a Buck, you
>summed it up very well.
>

if thats all there was to it, i'd be hunting frogs......LOL

Hunting Frogs? My point was that he doesn't want to shoot the first Buck he sees, he wants to hang out, enjoy himself and look for a good Buck. I didn't mean that just being out there is all there is to it, sorry you took it wrong.

I may not know
>a lot but I do
>know one thing for certain,
>those that panic and shoot
>a lesser buck have no
>chance at a big one.
>I personally would rather keep
>hunting and wait it out.
>I am not at work,
>I have the smell of
>sage on my pants, I
>am hiking in a beautiful
>area every day with Mt.
>Whitney as a back drop.

Well stated BigMass.. I hsve always believed good things come to those that are patient. If I were in your shoes I would do the same as you because I know if I ever draw one of those damn G3 tags it will be the only one in my lifetime. Keep us updated on your hunt progress.. and best of luck to you, I hope you tag the buck of your dreams and if not you get to experiance what would be a hunt of a lifetime for most of us.

Jim

>Great attitude BigMass! There is a
>lot more to a good
>hunting experience than just the
>shooting of a Buck, you
>summed it up very well.
>

+1

>Hunting Frogs? My point was that
>he doesn't want to shoot
>the first Buck he sees,
>he wants to hang out,
>enjoy himself and look for
>a good Buck. I didn't
>mean that just being out
>there is all there is
>to it, sorry you took
>it wrong.

just kidden around, i'm one of those guys who hates tag soup thats all...i live in the country so i can see it everyday...

BIGMASS......TIE A COUPLE OF THOSE BIG BUCKS UP TO A TREE, WE WILL BE THERE IN 5 OR 6 DAYS. I AGREE....ITS HARD TO SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU CANT STAY OFF THE TRIGGER. GOOD LUCK.....YD.

I wonder how many of these fell this morning for those not as patient?

Goodale_08_026.jpg

Goodale_08_035.jpg

Goodale_08_022.jpg

Goodale_08_040.jpg

Goodale_08_069.jpg

Goodale_08_087.jpg

Goodale_08_157.jpg

From what I saw last year, I would think most would let the air out of these:

Goodale_08_094.jpg

Goodale_08_102.jpg

Goodale_08_114.jpg

BOHNTR )))---------->

Great shots!! Couple of those look to be younger bucks that show great potential, especially those last 2, if they're not the same buck.

Probably the best hunt this state has to offer and no wonder it's the tuffest to draw.

YukonDall, What's in that crystal ball? Do you see a toad buck on the ground in your future? Hope your friends do good bud!!

Joey

WELL JOEY I HAVE A GOOD BUCK ON THE WALL....AND CANT DRAW ENUFF GOOD DEER TAGS ON A CONSISTANT BASIS. I AM REALLY A ELK FREAK WITH A COUPLE OF GREAT ELK HUNTS IN THE CRYSTAL BALL SOON IT LOOKS LIKE. THESE BUDDIES ARE FUN TO HANG OUT WITH ON HUNTS THEY DRAW THOUGH. I TALKED TO HIM THIS AM AND HE SAID HE SAW 20 BUCKS ON THE OPENER BUT PASSED ON ALL OF THEM. ,,,,YD.

YukonDall, crystal ball, "I HAVE A GOOD BUCK ON THE WALL"

I like that, have to remember it for future corespondence ;-)

Jeezse, 20 bucks a day. Been a long time since i passed 20 bucks in one day. Loved every minute of it and yet, twice came home empty. Couple of the best hunts i ever had... Have Fun!

Joey

Thanks for the tease BOHNTR. Best of luck to all the tag holders.

YD, don't you ever take some time off? Sheesh!:)

Eel

President Obama and Congress should leave gun rights alone. It's above their pay grade.

Manny, don't want to hi-jack this great thread but years ago, used to patrol a large private ranch in NV, the owner and ranch hands didn't hunt, he allowed only us to hunt, he hated outfitters that tried to go through his property, for the patroling duties and that, only when i drew. Some days i'd keep track cause is was so awesome, 30-40 bucks a day was not unusual and they had to be decent to even get counted. Those were the days my friend!

Joey

Joey'

I'm sorry i pissed away my bonus points for Cali when i moved to oregon, stupid i know......

Well YD We have seen a few decent bucks but no big ones yet. I did hear a rumor that your buddy was chasing a good buck yesterday.I thought we had a shooter for my wife yesterday morning. He looked real good at a thousand yards but when we closed the distance to 250 yards he didn't look as good as we thought and she passed on him. He was 26" wide, good height, and great mass. He was a 3X3, one side looked really good but the other side was a big fork with a small crab claw. Saw a decent 5X5 this morning a little weak on mass, he was chasing a doe through the lava beds and we lost him. Went high opening morning, saw some medium sized bucks, nothing special. It's been very warm, most of the snow is gone, we could really use some snow. Everybody do your best weather dance to help us out a little.

I need a Muley fix!!

Any news from BigMass, Lone Pine, G-3, Nickman, or any of the others hunting Big Bucks out there? What's happening guys come back? Joey

TAKE IT EASY NOW....GUYS I KNOW ARE STAYING OFF THE TRIGGER. I DO KNOW OF A 27 & A 31 INCH BUCK DOWN, THIS MIGHT BE FUN....I LEAVE FRIDAY......YD.

YD, thanks!! after i posted, saw BigMass's post up the line.

We're supposed to get a good sized storm this weekend up north here, not sure if it's gonna bring snow that far south or not. Hope so! Joey

We hunted hard all day and saw over 15 bucks, lost count after a while. Only saw one good buck. He was a very even 4X4 with deep forks and four inch eye guards. Not much mass, should be a great buck in a year or two. My wife can only hunt one more day and will head home Friday. There is a chance of snow starting Saturday and running through Wednesday. Even if we don't get the snow there are supposed to be single digit temperatures at the higher elevations. That should push some deer down. All of the bucks we saw today were hot on does, and chasing off smaller bucks. If the low temperatures kill the feed the does should move down and the bucks will follow. We will hunt hard all day tomorrow and hope we find a decent buck for my wife. I have until the end of the season so I am hopeful the weather will bring good things.

Thanks for the update BigMass.. I have a feeling your gonna be hanging that tag of yours on one of those big bucks that is still hanging around the high country.. Stay patient... Good luck.. can't wait to see the pics..

Jim

I LEAVE AGAIN TOMORROW, BURR......LOOKS LIKE SNOW.....BIG BUCKS ARE GOING TO FALL. BUDDIES ARE STILL SEEING ABOUT 15 BUCKS A DAY.........YD.

With the help of Nicman we spotted a shooter 4X4 for my wife yesterday. It was late morning and he was already up where he was going to bed down with his does. We couldn't get above him and coming in from the bottom we wouldn't be able to see him because of the angle. She didn't have to leave until noon today so we decided to leave him alone and hoped he would bed in the same place. We hiked in before first light and took a position behind a boulder directly across from where he bedded yesterday. He never showed, but as we worked our way out we saw four medium bucks and two smaller bucks that we had not seen before. When we got out and hooked up with Nicman he had a real nice 4X3 with good mass spotted. If it had been four on both sides my wife would have made a run at him but it wasn't what she was looking for. We have seen more bucks than you can imagine, I lost count this morning at fourteen, it is very exciting they just haven't been the right ones. The weather forecast at 6,500 ft for Monday is 90% chance of snow. YEEHAW!!!!!!! Bring it on! If it hits and the deer move I will try and get my wife back up for the last weekend. Let it snow, let it snow let it snow.

Awesome post BigMass! Simply Awesome!!! Thanks for the update, waiting on pins and 16 penny nails on how your hunt turns out!

Joey

Well BigMass with the weather changing for the good and with the likely prospects of snow I think we will be seeing some pics from you very soon. Stay determined.. That big buck with your name on it should be on his way down off the high country soon.
Think snow, and shoot straight. Keep us updated as there are a lot of guys on here pullin' for ya.. Good luck..
Jim

I usually don't take pictures while I'm hunting but thought some of you might like to see what I'm looking at. I put my camera in my pocket this morning, keep in mind there were snow showers and I only have the built in zoom on my camera. I'm having trouble putting more than one picture per post so I will have to post them separate.

494483ca5a6ad024.jpg

seem to be some poor genitics going on down there with all those three points........

hope you find some better bucks!

I was just looking at the radar map and looks like some serious weather rolling in. Hope it brings the big boys down for you guys...and gal. :)

Good luck!! Joey

No, he has a small crab claw on each side that made him a 3X3. I have never seen so many 3X3's in my life. They are everywhere you look. All but a few of the bucks we have seen are maybe three year old at best. Out of the mature bucks we have seen there was only one my wife would have shot. He was a 26" 4X4 with good mass and height. The other mature bucks we have seen you wold only shoot at the very end to remove them from the gene pool. The one picture of the three pointer with the weird antlers is unfortunately a trend I have seen in a mature buck and several younger bucks here. Keep in mind because of the warm there are very few mature bucks down yet. It is 3:15am Monday morning and I can't sleep. To much anticipation. The big storm was supposed to hit last night and continue through today and tonight. They were talking up to a foot of snow in the high country. If it happens we should start seeing the results by Tuesday.In the mean time there are still an amazing amount of bucks to look at. My internet access here is hit and miss, but I will try to keep you posted.

It is 4:30am Monday, I just looked outside and there is an inch or so of snow on the ground in the valley. There should be new bucks to look at soon!

In the Northern Sierra, we got over 3' at my house which is 6800'. I sure hope the high country above where you are at gets somes serious snowfall, that'll stir em up.

We have a ton of snow. Saw a few new bucks yesterday. Thought I had a shooter, 28" or more wide, very tall, decent mass, 4X4. When I got closer and he turned his head he had a crab claw on the front left fork.I have seen that trend a lot here, must be a genetic pattern. Here is a picture of a little 4X4 that ran by me in a snow storm two days ago. YukonDall's buddy killed a 4X4 yesterday, his son still has a tag. I took a picture but forgot to ask if it was alright to post it. if I see them today I will ask.

4948faa3015ad406.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-08 AT 06:24AM (MST)[p] IN FACT.....JACK WOULD BE THRILLED TO SEE HIMSELF ON MM WITH HIS BUCK.......YD.

Here's two photos that were sent to me to post from The Goodale Hunt this year. Don't know a lot about them other than the info supplied. Both are great CA mule deer!

Typical 4x4 30 1/4 wide rough scores around 177, taken on 12-7-08.
Goodale_1.jpg

?????
Goodale_2.jpg

BOHNTR )))---------->

Way NICE!!! not one but 2 thirty inchers! Those are certainly two very sweet California home grown Muleys, two that anybody would be happy to bring home from any state. Congrats!!!

Keep em coming :)
Joey

Love to know the specs on the bottom buck. Very cool photos.

The snow is excellent. Hang in there and it'll happen.

I"m jealous the Middle of December and still hunting Muledeer.The rest of us are left to dream and start thinking of next year.

>I"m jealous the Middle of December
>and still hunting Muledeer.The rest
>of us are left to
>dream and start thinking of
>next year.

odds of drawing are tuff...........

Both stud four points for sure!

I doubt that the top buck was taken on the 7th though. There is a load of snow in that pic and I don't think we had that much by then. Unless he killed that buck at 10,000' plus.

You are right YukonDall, I talked to him this afternoon before I got back and read your post so here it is.

4949b596287611ec.jpg

Thanks for posting pic BigMass! Looks like a keeper buck to me. Deep forks on a boxy frame, great eye-gards, nice and high, looks to be around 28", Gonna look great on the wall!

Dandy Calif. buck!!! Congrats to you and your buddy YukonDall, Job well done!!! Any story to go w/the pic? Joey

PS. Nickman, what you been seeing out there buddy? Anything big enough to get the blood stirrin?

JOEY.....THAT BUCK IS 25 INCHES EVEN, MY BUDDY STATES. THESE DEER ARE SLIGHTLY SMALLER THAN THE ROCKY MT. MULE DEER. THEY CALL THIS STRAIN THE INYO MULE DEER.........YD.

YD, LOL, well, i thought it might be a tad smaller than 28" but would not wish to insult by a guess on the low side. ;-)

Still, A dandy buck no matter the strain, Thanks for the info, and hopefully, more nice ones to come from the gang hunting out there near Lone Pine!!!! Joey

This is a picture of a buck I came up behind bedded in the snow yesterday.Still looking for a good one, heading out now.

494a4e3414972fc9.jpg

The snow has to be deep up top so the bucks should be down, Keep looking you will find that big one.

Thanks for keeping us informed BigMass. I love it when someone is out and about and giving us daily updates.Just like Rocketman in Colorado all summer.Keeps us wanting more. Thanks again.

...and CAelknuts in Utah! That was a classic series of field reports, much enjoyed, a templet of great outdoor writing. Like i said, think it was post #1 of this topic,"This one has potential."

It did, it does, it is...Great! Thanks guys!! Joey

Friday night, two days to go. I spotted a shooter 6X4 today, grabbed my gear and headed through the snow up the mountain after him. There wasn't much cover but I got into range and set up for a shot, had trouble finding him in my scope so I pulled up my binoculars to get a landmark. When I put the glass on him there were two bucks standing there and I couldn't tell which one was which! As I started scrutinizing them shots rang out a ridge away and spooked them out of range. I tried to close for a shot but they busted me and were gone. Later that afternoon I started combing the mountain with my spotting scope from the same place I had found him from earlier. I thought I had him in my lens but when I zoomed in It was a slightly smaller 4X5 that looked like his smaller brother. I will try and locate him in the morning and make another run at it.
YukonDall's buddy Jack that I posted a picture of with his buck earlier was hunting with his son Justin. Today Justin took a great mature buck to go with his dads. Here are a couple of pictures of Justin and his buck and one of the father and son hunting duo with both there bucks. And I'll throw in a picture of Nicman doing what he does best, spotting deer.

494c65a9153c7835.jpg

494c65da16b352d5.jpg

494c65fc175d1645.jpg

494c661c17f6e25d.jpg

HEY THANKS BIGMASS FOR ALL THE GREAT PICS & NARRATION OF THE HUNT. I HOPE YOU GET YOUR THUMPER SOON.....SOUNDS LIKE YOUR SEEING SOME REAL GOOD BUCKS.....STAY AFTER THEM.....IT WAS MY PLEASURE TO HAVE MET YOU............YD.

Well...........14 days out playing in the brush, sorry I haven't been near this 'puter to keep the update going.

First off, I just gotta' tell you that I spent some quality time with Big Mass, his wife and Yukon Dall and his buddies, who were up playing in my backyard. A nicer group of folks have never been up here.

I have personnally enjoyed this season and rate it in my top 5 for "giggles & grins".

I believe that 88% of the people on this site are cut from the same cloth. It has been a real treat to meet these people, help them where I could and be part of their experiences. I cannot wait till next year.

YD's buddies, Jack and Justin finished up today. Randy -Big Mass- has posted their buck pictures and we all thank him for the photos and the play by play commentary he has provided.

..........you want to see a persistant hunter, look this guy up. I have seen very few people with a more aggressive attitude and I expect that even if he is the last tag to fill, somebody will have to force him at gunpoint to quit.

I can assure you that he has seen 200 bucks in the 3x4 or better class and another 40 or so misc non shooters. I think that the 6x that he found today is having his "last supper" as we speak.

Unfortunately, after 14 days in the campground, during which time it snowed a foot at my house, leaving my very patient wife to haul pellets, feed animals, shovel the porch, etc, etc.....I cannot be in on Randy's finish.

I would guess that something on the order of 28 tags have been filled.

There have been maybe 5 deer over 28" taken and I suspect that "Blu"....an MM poster,(who I never did get to meet) will probably have brought down the nicest one so far, score wise at any rate. He would have to post the measurements.

Most all of these bucks taken have been in the 24 to 27 inch area.

There were 35 draw tags, at least 4 "open zone" tags and 2 "Golden Opportunity" tags in the area this period. Out of 41 hunters, only 30 are going to be successful, and only 5 of those deer will pass the 28" mark.

We also had several very hardcore, seasoned deer hunters, who just did not find "quality bucks".

There were simply very few 6 and 7 year old deer in the area.

Not a real good season in spite of some serious snow and some single digit temperatures. We are also still having one of the latest rut periods in years.

I thought last year was late; confirmed by the amount of fawns STILL sporting spots.

The number of busted up antlers is staggering and I saw two bucks break a point off of each other just this morning.

I don't want to start another argument on here, but I am going to say, once again, that you guys who are losing hunting trips in other zones, while waiting to be drawn for this hunt, may want to reconsider your options.

At some point, when I find someone with an IQ higher than mine, which is something near my pants size on a fat day, I will post some of the pics I took this season.

I live in the boonies and our computer operates on smoke signals. We don't know what "dial up" even means around here.

Very nice sentiments, Nickman. Too bad you aren't able to stick around and see BigMass take the big one. I guess we'll have to wait and see if he actually does.

Steve

Man, It sure has been fun,hearing all the stories from the Goodale Hunt. It's kinda like a soap opera, I can't wait for the next episode. Big Mass, I hope you get that buck your after,and Yukon Dall, congrats on you and your sons bucks.
Nickman, your right, that hunt ain't what it used to be, but after thirty years of shooting the best bucks in the gene pool, what do you expect. But don't forget, those three and four year olds will be back next year, with a little more mass, and tine length.
It's to bad the D.F.G. doesn't move their late hunt from herd to herd, one year Goodale, next year Big Pine,the following year Casa Diablo, and so on. That way the herds could catch up.
O well, living here in Bishop, you get to see how the Fish And Game operates, and sometimes it doesn't make much sense. But enough of the politics, good luck Big Mass, AND PLEASE POST THE PICS! I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the outcome, this MM is way more exciting than any T.V. show.
Thanks, Doug.
\

Hi Everyone,
It's Monday morning and raining in Lone Pine. I'm starting to pack things up for the trip home.This hunt has been like no other that I have been on. More about my impressions and reflections later, I'm sure you are wondering if I got the big 6X4. I chased him for the last two days of the hunt but couldn't close the deal. I would find him with my spotting scope but when I made my accent after him he eluded me. I found every other buck I had spotted from the bottom but could not locate him. At one point when I was up top as I was glassing some thick sage I spotted antler tips just above the top of the brush.The way the bucks head was positioned it looked like six points on one side. The adrenaline started to pump and my heart was racing. It took a while to get myself under control enough to make the stalk. I circled around behind where the buck was bedded and forty five minutes later I was standing twenty five yards behind him. At that point I could see it wasn't him. I swapped my rifle for my camera and snapped a few shots as he stood up.The first picture is of my truck taken from up where I was chasing the 6X4 just to give you a little perspective. The next picture was when I realized it wasn't my buck. The next two are of the buck just before he bounded off. Not a bad buck but nothing like the one I was after.
494f97e262542319.jpg

494f980c62c8528e.jpg

494f983763337bc5.jpg

494f985e636e5337.jpg

This hunt was nothing like I imagined it would be, or for that matter nothing like any other hunt I have ever been on. There was a circus like atmosphere that I was not prepared for. Many of the hunters had entourages of six to eight people. Then there were the picture takers, lots of picture takers.There was another group that surprised me.They consisted of hunters that had drawn this hunt in the past and make an yearly migration back to try extend their association with it. They just can't seem to let go. There is a mystique and almost mythical aurora that surrounds this hunt. It has come to represent the holy grail of California deer hunts. These are my observations of the actual hunt putting aside the many distraction that are associated with it.I have never seen so many bucks on one hunt in my life.The amount of different bucks I saw was nothing short of amazing. That said, I was disappointed in the over all quality of bucks I encountered.It is true that I could have taken a respectable buck on any day of the hunt.I have not been on any other hunt where that would have been possible.However, I believe that putting the same time and effort that I invested in this hunt in most of the X zones would have afforded me just as good a chance at a wall hanger. I don't regret having used all of my points to draw G-3 as it was a unique and interesting experience and I met some great people. I do not believe the hunt lives up to the hype that surrounds it. I would like to thank Nickman for sharing his wealth of knowledge and insight about the area and the deer that inhabit it. I would also like to express my gratitude to all those that offered advice and guidance on this hunt, it is much appreciated.It was great meeting YukonDall, Jack, Justin, Lee & Marie and all the other exceptional people I encountered.I would also like to thank all of you who put up with my posted rantings and raving during this hunt. It's been fun, but the wife says it's time for me to get my butt home and cook Christmas dinner.
BigMass

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-08 AT 07:47AM (MST)[p] HEY BIGMASS.....I THINK YOU HAD ONE HELL OF A HUNT, AND YOU TROPHY HUNTED TO THE LAST DAY.....I CAN REALLY RESPECT & APPLAUD THE WAY YOU HUNTED. I COULD SEE HOW MUCH FUN YOU WHERE HAVING, ...CONGRATS. I AGREE WITH YOU ABOUT YOUR HUNT SIZEUP.....IT WAS INTERESTING/ AND I MET ALOT OF GOOD FOLKS. NICKMAN WAS REALLY A KICK IN THE BUTT, & FUN TO JAW WITH....I'M SURE YOU HAVE MEMORIES TO LAST A LIFE TIME......CONGRATS..... & MERRY CHRISTMAS......YD.

BigMass,

That was very well stated, I have been checking MM 2-3 times a day watching for your updates. I congradulate to you for sticking to your guns and not giving up on the buck you wanted, I know many would not invest the time, effort, determination that you did as it would be easy to get frustrated as the days pass. I enjoyed your posts as well as YukonDall's and as you say this is the Holy Grail of CA deer hunts and I know lots guys were watching this thread and rooting for you. By the way did your wife fill her tag?

Jim,

Thanks for the kind words Jim. No she didn't fill her tag. She could have taken several nice bucks but she had a clear idea of what she wanted and we only saw one buck while she was here that fit her criteria. We opted to leave him alone and try and locate him the next morning and were unable to.
Randy

And that my friends, is the diffinitive assessment of the 2008 G3 deer season. Print it.

After spending about 10 minutes with BigMass, I knew that he had set a standard for himself and that he was NOT about to drop below it.

I had high hopes for him because of those standards and his aggressive attitude. The fact that he did not put a tag on the one he wanted is by no means, due to lack of effort on his part.

It's why they call it "hunting".

I personnally applaud his patience and the pure guts it took not to simply settle for less. At no time in the whole hunt period did I ever hear him say, "I saw one today that I probably should have shot".

By the way, BigMass had shoulder surgury in November and could barely lift his left arm.

He was mushing thru 18" of snow over boulder strewn slopes where a slip and fall would have been a disaster.

"SERIOUS GRAPES"....in fact, I am changing his name on here to "BIGBRASS"............

Respect.......He has mine!

Congratulations, Big Mass, on holding out for the big one.Not many hunters would be able to do that on a hunt like yours. So many bucks to look at, it makes your head spin.Glad to see you hunted Shingle Mill, seems to be the closer you get to the north boundry the better your chances are for a older age class buck.I want to thank you and all the other folks who
posted on this site, it truly was an adventure, just like we were there. Keep us posted on any hunts in the future,Merry Christmas,and have a safe trip home
P.S. if the D.F.G. wants to keep having these rut hunts they ought to move them from herd to herd, so these bucks have a chance to get some age on them. Maybe thats a topic to start another discussion.
Thanks, Doug.

Congrats on a great hunt! This thread has kept me checking for updates each day & I'm kinda bummed that it's over. Thanks for the great reports!

Well hello, I forgot about this ca. site and have been looking on the other, bummed when I saw this thread today otherwise I could have joined in. Big mass, I am the guy in the brown jeep that was in the camp at the bottom of division creek. I posted my picture of my buck on the 08 bucks and bulls site and I looks like someone put my buck along with his twin brother on this tread also. WOW is all I can say about this hunt!!!!!!!!!! What an awesome exerience. I started my scouting a week before the season and ran into you up onion valley a couple days before season, I remember your shoulder being all tied up in a sling. Nickman, I was trying to meet with you also, but we just didn't cross paths this time, but next time we will get together.

I ended up finding my buck on the second day of season and after being there for over a week, decided that he was the one for me, so that ended my hunt and wow, what a buck when I walked up on him. I was fortunate, he was not broken, is extemely heavy and a very perfect 4x4 with good eyeguards and he makes that 30 inch mark, streatching the tape to 30 1/4 inches! I rough scored him at 177 following the book so having scored other deer, this should be very close, at least within an inch or two.
Anyway, thanks to all you guys outhere that I ran into during this hunt. It was my pleasure to have met with you and sorry that my hunt ended so soon as I was planning on spending the entire season hanging out with you all.

John

BLU, Better late than never eh? :) Great buck! Congrats!!

Really want to Thank all the gang concerned with this thread for the enjoyment it has given me this past month or so. It certainly IMO, has been the best California thread since i've been here and though it may not quite have gotten the following that CAelknuts had on his Utah Elk hunt, it was still very much looked forward to each and every post.

Really want to send out a big WELL DONE!!! to BigMass. Your holding out to the last day and then going home empty puts you in high regard among the way i was taught and that of a bunch of the guys i've hunted with through the years. Until you've done what BigMass did, you truely can never know the satisfied feeling a guy can have going home without a buck in the back. Yes, too bad you didn't get that big boy but man...what a hunt!!

Thanks Again All!! Joey

Thanks for posting the results of your hunt. I saw the photos you posted in bucks and bulls and that is one hell of a nice buck, Congratulations. I also took a look at the buck your son killed... What a nice buck. Both of you did well.

Jim

Killing a buck like that you have nothing to be sorry for John, he is absolutely a "no hesitation buck". Thanks for the kind words Joey. I didn't find my "no hesitation buck" until the last three days of the season. My shoulder was getting better everyday and I took a hard run at him for three days straight but couldn't make the connection.
Randy

Bigmass, just wondering if you made it up into North Oak creek Baxter pass area? The county was supposed to open the road during the middle of the first week of season.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom