Got a PM with a "Region G Share" offer

huntjock

In a different thread I mentioned that I have 11 WY Deer points and my son has 12. We are about to put in together. We are burning points in WY and Colorado due to some personal health issues I won't go into here. So, I guess someone picked up on this 11 + 12 = 23 and that since 9 points in the Special is what is needed they could combine their 4 points with ours and draw out.

What is the attitude or consensus with this idea of point sharing? I guess it's not illegal. What are the opinions of ethics here?

I guess there's a market in this kind of thing...

My brother and I shared points several years ago with some guys I met here on Monster Muleys to hunt Wyoming deer. We did not hunt together, but the guys we shared our points with had some great experience and knowledge in Wyoming and they willingly shared that info with us in exchange for using our points. They killed good bucks and so did we - it was a win-win for both parties.

No issues with doing that all, but you certainly have some leverage with that many points and the guys using those points should bring something to the table for you (local knowledge, horses, camp help, etc.)

In a different thread I mentioned that I have 11 WY Deer points and my son has 12. We are about to put in together. We are burning points in WY and Colorado due to some personal health issues I won't go into here. So, I guess someone picked up on this 11 + 12 = 23 and that since 9 points in the Special is what is needed they could combine their 4 points with ours and draw out.

What is the attitude or consensus with this idea of point sharing? I guess it's not illegal. What are the opinions of ethics here?

Your ethics are likely different than mine. But if you've had to make a post regarding this that kinda answers the question for you right?

Good luck hunting G. Should be a good year!

What you experienced is pretty common now a days. Folks are paying premiums to go in on a party application, basically selling their extra points. What you should do is spend time with your son, make some relationships on this forum and guys will help you out and give you general areas to look around without charging you points for the information. I have nothing personal against sharing of points and do it all the time with my hunting groups. In the end its your call and you should do what makes you and your son happy. Good luck in whatever you do.

Rich

So you share your points to have 9 points for the group but you spend $576 more to put in the Special draw to draw tags with 9 points? $576 is a good down payment on other tags, gear, gas, etc.

I hunted a new zone for cow elk in Nevada last fall. First time ever with an elk tag. Lent a helping hand to a fellow hunter in a bad spot and had other hunters who saw it inviting us over for dinner, sharing laughs around the campfire, having us hunt with them and they even helped pack my elk out about 3 days later.

I learned a while back if you can't find free help, sometimes you have to look in the mirror and change your approach. It's been working great ever since.

When I offer to share my Wyo Deer points I make it clear that they can hunt where they want and I can hunt where I want, it doesn't have to be together, and I like it that way.

Things can change in a few months after the draw and on any hunt dates so for me, it's always best to go Solo.

The year I cashed in my 11 max points on G, I had talked with Founder and a few others with this option in mind.

I was uncomfortable with anyone paying the difference of my Lock 'cheapie fee' to doing 'pricey fee' as a group increase $$.

You have always been an up-front honest guy huntjock, go with your gut feeling------->

Robb

Thanks to everyone for your responses. At this point I am leaning toward just putting me and my son in together without the hassle of sharing outside and applying for the Special. Less complicated that way. That could change if someone comes to us with let's say 7 or 8 points and an offer too hard to refu$e. We do need to draw this year, though, so that is the main thing.

We are going to have an enjoyable and memorable hunt.

I hope you all have a great year and many successful hunts!

Neil

p.s. huge thanks to those who have reached out in PMs offering help with our hunt. Uncharacteristic of me, but I have decided to go with an outfitter. Deposit already made for that.

Just curious why you would pay extra to enter the special draw when you should be able to draw in the regular drawing with the # of points you both have?
Admittedly, I have not looked recently to see how many points a Region G tag requires, but I am thinking you would draw in the regular with 11.5 points between the 2 of you.

Hope you have a great hunt with your son and create some amazing memories!! It is amazing country to hunt in.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. At this point I am leaning toward just putting me and my son in together without the hassle of sharing outside and applying for the Special. Less complicated that way. That could change if someone comes to us with let's say 7 or 8 points and an offer too hard to refu$e. We do need to draw this year, though, so that is the main thing.

We are going to have an enjoyable and memorable hunt.

I hope you all have a great year and many successful hunts!

Neil

p.s. huge thanks to those who have reached out in PMs offering help with our hunt. Uncharacteristic of me, but I have decided to go with an outfitter. Deposit already made for that.
Good luck on your hunt!

Just curious why you would pay extra to enter the special draw when you should be able to draw in the regular drawing with the # of points you both have?
Admittedly, I have not looked recently to see how many points a Region G tag requires, but I am thinking you would draw in the regular with 11.5 points between the 2 of you.

Hope you have a great hunt with your son and create some amazing memories!! It is amazing country to hunt in.
I wasn't clear in my comment - my bad. What I meant was that combining points with someone besides my son AND then putting in for the Special draw on top in order to guarantee that we all draw would be a hassle I could avoid by simply putting in the Regular draw with my son...with 11.5 points. You are right.

@huntjock Sorry to hear about your health issues. That's a tough deal. I wish you all the best. I do think you did the right thing, enjoy every moment with your son (before, during, and after the hunt). Have a great time, take a lot of photos and video. I have always believed that love is spelled t-i-m-e. It's the best gift you can give someone you care about. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom