Got lucky in NM

mozey

Long Time Member
I don't claim to know what I'm doing when it comes to bear hunting. I buy an OTC bear tag every year in NM just because I used to get lots of bear pictures from my trailcam before the Las Conchas fire destroyed it. And every year, I spend so much time in the field scouting/hunting for deer, elk, barbarys, etc, that I figured the odds were that I'd eventually see a bear while carrying either my bow or rifle. So after several years and countless miles hiking, it finally all came together last Friday evening when I spotted this sow at about 80 yards slightly quartering towards. She was sniffing the base of some scrub oaks when a 150-grainer from my 300WSM dropped her in her tracks. She's not really two-toned. There was a muddy pond within a quarter mile that she must have been sitting in just before I saw her. Her back half was still wet and muddy.

I think she's beautiful and am looking for ideas for a full-body mount, so if you have pics, please post them up. Thanks in advance.

5615bear2.jpg

4027bear3.jpg

congrats on your first bear. I'm getting a half mount from my bear this year. There are sevearl different poses with a full mount would like to see pic when you get her back.

Congrats! I too buy a tag each year ad have seen a few by accident. I am hoping some day to get one.

Now I'm feeling really stupid, but at the risk of exposing my ignorance even more, my buddy that just skinned it for me let me know that it's not a sow--it's a boar.

Back to elementary sex ed for me... ;-)

uga hunter cool mount I never have liked bear mounts with there mouths open. espicaly bear rugs doisn't look at all natural. I know it's personal preference.

Wow, that is a awesome looking bear, uga. I had a few that color coming into my cameras before they burned, but none of them that big...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom