Got lucky

mozey

Long Time Member
Zone 1 bear taken at 5:50 this evening...

1514bear2.jpg

7792bear3.jpg

This bear came out of 6a at about 7,500' elevation.

I hunted 6c every weekend in September (except yesterday) between 8 and 10 thousand elevation and saw a lot of sign but no bears, til I convinced myself that they must have all moved lower for a different food source. The other thing in my favor was that it had finally stopped raining everyday, which allowed me to concentrate more on water sources. Combined water with the tail end of an acorn crop and six miles of shoe leather. Was about a quarter mile from a water source (which this bear had obviously just been sitting in), when I finally spotted this bear quartering towards me at about 80 yards, working over a patch of scrub oaks. The 300WSM and a 150 grain bullet dropped it in its tracks...

We'll see when it drys and is cleaned, but I think that's just from it sitting in a water/mud hole. The back half was still wet and matted with cockle burrs, which were all around that water, but not anyplace else that I saw...

Thanks for the nice comments guys. To show you how little I know about these things, I refrained from referring to it above as either a boar or a sow, because I wasn't sure either way. Then last night a dude asked me if it had a visible nut sack, which I didn't remember seeing, so based on that I assumed it to be a sow. But just a few minutes ago, my buddy that skinned it for me called to tell me he recovered the perfectly mushroomed bullet just under the hide over its right shoulder, and he also informed me that it's definitely a boar. I'm just a few months shy of 50 years old, but now I'm thinking I need to go back to elementary sex ed... ;-)

a bear with pants, LOL Nice big bear.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

There is probably 49 roaming around on the bosque of the jemez river..one huge boar was hit by a truck in san ysidro a couple weeks ago. It was so old he didn't have any canine teeth....he had worn em down.

Going for a full body mount. After seeing the price of one this morning though, this probably will be the first and last bear that I'll be able to afford.

Dont forget to call game and fish. meet a guy the other day that was telling me his friend forget to call game and fish and was fined some good money.

I checked it in with NMDGF this morning. According to their most recent quota, mine was the only one taken/reported from Zone 1 from the weekend. As of today there are still 49 (34 sows) left against the quota.

Awesome bear Mozey. He looks pretty dang big. Love that pose. Looks like a superman bear. Glad you got one. Know you been hard after them.

Haha--I didn't even think about superman, but now that you mention it...

I think the bullet clipped a main artery, and the right side of his face was lying in a big pool of blood when I got to him, which I didn't want in the pic, so I just grabbed his back legs and pulled him back a couple yards.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom