Got super lucky. Drew Idaho 52 rifle deer and 46-1 elk Dec

BIGOLMULEY

So, after applying 20 years in Idaho I was pleasantly surprised to receive not 1 but 2 successful notices!
As many of you know I was in a slight accident a few years ago that left me paralyzed on the right side of my body. I chose these units as they are more glassing as I am not as mobile anymore. I have gotten real good at glassing!
Crazy thing is I bought my general tag already and will need to turn it back. I have been watching a buck for the past 3 years passing him up or on private. He was real good last year (forked cheater, 2 other cheaters and a good frame. He is probably 6 now and was 180-185 last year in the drought. So I am really excited to see what he turns into. So, I will hope to buy a 2nd tag on Aug. 1.
Good problem to have. Plan on scouting the crap out of both areas. 52 opens October 5. So will hunt 2-3 days then head for general on the 10th. Hopefully kill soon, but if not will head back to 52 on the 20th or so and stay in 52 until the end on the 31st. That's the plan anyway.
Then scout 46 for elk a few days before it opens
December 1. Hopefully I will have some friends on that one. I can probably get a deer out but no way an elk. Even the deer will be difficult.
I have a Ranger, but will a truck be better? I plan on hiking in a bit to a higher point and then just glassing all day.
Pretty excited but it will be a tall order from me. If anyone has hunted either before I would appreciate any tips or advice I have heard snakes can be bad. Good times.
Pretty much will quit my job. I don't know how long my body will allow me to keep doing this with my back and leg getting worse every year. I can always find something to do for work. Haha! Priorities. I live in Utah, so not to far away. Feel free to PM me. Hopefully I get to move up there someday. Love that place.

Hey Big Ol'

Have loved your attitude and perseverance on here for quite awhile. I have the October 1 unit 46 tag, which will be quite different than the December tag, but will certainly be happy to pass on anything I think is relevant.

Powder

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-19 AT 01:22AM (MST)[p]I appreciate it! Going to be fun.
Good luck to you should be a great year.

You can get around with truck or Ranger, the quality is down, to many tags. There are usually a couple of real good bucks taken out of 52. It is a great desert hunt , you will have no problem getting around unless it gets muddy. Good luck.

Unit 46 hunt will be a really fun hunt for you. There are plenty of high points to just park the vehicle and glass for days if that's what you want. It is a weather dependent hunt but the bulls should be in there regardless. I helped pack out a nice 6x7 last year with a friend that he got down in one of the canyons out there. I wouldn't recommend shooting one in those canyons as it was hell getting it out. I also had the late cow tag out there and pretty much all we saw were bulls so there will be a lot of opportunity depending on what you're looking for. You will find quite a few bulls are broken off so that's kind of a downside to it. If you want details on where I would start looking go ahead and pm me. Good luck.

Congratulations!! I don't know anything about those units. But I'm looking forward to following your adventures on this site

Just an update. Been out to 52 twice. In fact I am here now. Pretty cool place! I have seen 3 does and a little 3-point. But getting the lay of the land. Been fun, but this heat is crazy!
So I have been glassing close to ag on the BLM. I know there will be some deer around, but I just haven't seen them yet. But I will. Staying through Saturday and will be back in a few weeks to scout again. Hope your scouting is going well. And if you are bow hunting today, good luck!

Big Ol',

I've NOT known of your accident/physical issue before but I, too, congratulate you on your outlook ................ not to mention your good fortune on the draw.

(Despite the current 'count' on my posts, I've been a member for a LONG time. Somehow, my profile was deleted, along with all previous posts & so forth. .......... I don't know where you live but if you need a hand to help glass or carry on that late hunt, let me know. I'll have the time and am able ....... except for being old and slow but am still willing.

Within the shadows, move softly.
(Long-time member; somehow I was 'lost' after have logged 10,000+ posts.)

Just got back from another scouting trip. I found some deer! So hot there. 2 bucks and about 20 does One had stripped his velvet. Both small. 3x4 and 2x3.
Getting to know the unit better. Going to be tough, but that's what makes it fun. Planning on one more trip before the opener. We will see!

My understanding is that 52 deer is a hunt that's significantly influenced by migration. This would explain why you aren't finding anything in addition to the heat. Have you discussed the unit in detail with the bios in Twin Falls?

Rooting for you.

The best bucks killed in 52, are dirty old desert bucks, you can hunt around ag like most people do. I would suggest exploring the lava fields

>Big Ol',
>
>I've NOT known of your accident/physical
>issue before but I, too,
>congratulate you on your outlook
>................ not to mention your
>good fortune on the draw.
>
>
>(Despite the current 'count' on my
>posts, I've been a member
>for a LONG time.
>Somehow, my profile was deleted,
>along with all previous posts
>& so forth. ..........
>I don't know where you
>live but if you need
>a hand to help glass
>or carry on that late
>hunt, let me know.
>I'll have the time and
>am able ....... except for
>being old and slow but
>am still willing.
>
>Within the shadows, move softly.
>(Long-time member; somehow I was 'lost'
>after have logged 10,000+ posts.)
>

Thanks so much! Will keep you in Mind. I am out of Morgan Utah. I hope to have someone with me, but you know how that goes!

I met with a biologist on Friday, and have been in a few lava fields. They are brutal on a vehicle and on foot. I appreciate all the help!

Well went out for the opener. Got there Thursday and didn't see a deer. Friday morning I saw a couple does in a hay field and nothing Friday night.
I talked with a fellow MM guy and he sent me to a spot for the opener. And I saw some deer! I did just drive around, but it was nice to see deer. 3 bucks and a doe and a fawn.
I mostly worry about just driving as it would probably take me a couple minutes to get set up to shoot something. And I would guess most won't hang around that long. Well one did. Decent 24? ish 4-point.

53628672989ab51fb4ef991264ee9c0a26def.jpeg

So that gave me some hope. I took a walk through the lava flows. Could not believe how much feed is out there.
Looks like desolate area, but many of you have told me to check them out. So much bitter brush is hidden in them. But so tough to hunt will be a challenge, but hopefully it works out.
I am headed to my general tag on the 10th and will hunt that through the 19th on and off, then drive out to 52 on th 20th and stay until the end on the 31st.
Really want to thank all those who have helped me out. It will be hard, but I am having a blast

So I have been here since the 20th. Almost a week in now and I have to say it's been pretty rough. There are no deer. Well, there are some, but In just about a week I have seen maybe 15 does and 4 bucks. I can't believe how few deer I have seen. I have talked to a few tag holders and locals and all say the same thing, where are the deer?
Good times. Many folks have reached out with areas to try. Well, I am still here and will be to the end. Give it my all. I have glassed, driven around and hiked into hidden spots. Really hardly any sign at all. Crazy.
But every hunt can't be rainbows and unicorns! Haha!
Better than work though. Will see how it goes, maybe I find something soon.
Good luck to all who still have a tag.

I drew that 46 bull tag two years ago it was the best hunt I've ever done. Seen 180 bulls in four days. The one I shot I past 4 times before deciding to take him. I live in unit 46 so if ya need any help hit me up.

Well it's over in 52 and I came up empty. Really didn't see deer. Felt like I hunted hard and well, but just couldn't find deer.
Really grateful for all the help I received. I spent 18 days in the unit hunting 11 days. But I had fun and met some great people.
Now on to the elk hunt in 46.
Thanks again!

So, report on late elk 46. Crazy how it went so far. Went 4 1/2 days and zero elk.
Had a few guys really help me out here. Thanks! Most everyone said go out and you see elk. Just lots of elk and fun. Many camps out there, most were cow hunters. Everyone left by monday or tuesday. Crazy.
Thoughts on why it was so poor from being there, and talking with locals and tag holders:
-no weather, 1" of snow that melted with the rain and muddy,
but there still should have been elk according to many who hunted it before.
-My lack of studying the regs close enough. F&G issued unlimited OTC bull tags in 46 starting Sep 1 - Nov.30 on private lands and within a mile of private land. Those who were out there say that the "within a mile" was not followed and not enforced well. Talked with one outfitter who guided on private that said they Killed 9 just on their place. So with all the pressure, anything that still is alive, is pretty spooked.
-Obviously my lack of knowledge of where the elk go with so much pressure.
-We looked up snow levels in the Jarbage Wilderness, and there is not much more than 8" at 10,000'.

So I hope that snow and cold weather will bring them in. We shall see. Again, fun but I am ready to shoot something! HaHa!!
I have until the end of the month.

Damn, mild weather year for late hunts. Would think that the Jarbridge got some snow from this last weekend's storm. I think Brundage got 10" on Sunday.

Good luck and hopefully it turns around for you, as many say that is arguably the best bull tag in the state.

So, after applying 20 years in Idaho I was pleasantly surprised to receive not 1 but 2 successful notices!
As many of you know I was in a slight accident a few years ago that left me paralyzed on the right side of my body. I chose these units as they are more glassing as I am not as mobile anymore. I have gotten real good at glassing!
Crazy thing is I bought my general tag already and will need to turn it back. I have been watching a buck for the past 3 years passing him up or on private. He was real good last year (forked cheater, 2 other cheaters and a good frame. He is probably 6 now and was 180-185 last year in the drought. So I am really excited to see what he turns into. So, I will hope to buy a 2nd tag on Aug. 1.
Good problem to have. Plan on scouting the crap out of both areas. 52 opens October 5. So will hunt 2-3 days then head for general on the 10th. Hopefully kill soon, but if not will head back to 52 on the 20th or so and stay in 52 until the end on the 31st. That's the plan anyway.
Then scout 46 for elk a few days before it opens
December 1. Hopefully I will have some friends on that one. I can probably get a deer out but no way an elk. Even the deer will be difficult.
I have a Ranger, but will a truck be better? I plan on hiking in a bit to a higher point and then just glassing all day.
Pretty excited but it will be a tall order from me. If anyone has hunted either before I would appreciate any tips or advice I have heard snakes can be bad. Good times.
Pretty much will quit my job. I don't know how long my body will allow me to keep doing this with my back and leg getting worse every year. I can always find something to do for work. Haha! Priorities. I live in Utah, so not to far away. Feel free to PM me. Hopefully I get to move up there someday. Love that place.
Hello big o. I was lucky enough to draw a tag in unit 52 buck. I will be staying at the Stanton crossing campsite just up the road from where the 2 highways come together at the rest area it's just over the big wood river bridge if you were headed to Boise, my son and I will be there for 10days. First time drawing the hunt, took me 14yrs but I think it will be worth it!! That being said if you need any help with anything or just looking to sit around the camp fire and bullshit we like the company. Good luck!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom