Got the boot from Gordon?

Yes Mike is an outfitter on his ranch in the Black Hills, but he was truly a great sportsman's representative and hunter on the Commission. He was always very open to conversation and loved getting lots of comments on issues. In fact Mike would often encourage everyone to email and contact Commissioners. I had several great phone conversations with Mike and some in person also. He also contributed in many ways to wildlife projects in Wyoming.

What troubles me is that I don't expect Commissioners be "team players" but that they do their job. Every vote does not need to be unanimous. Commissioners also have personal lives and their own set of beliefs. This should not be criteria to remove a Commissioner. I had this very thing happen to me when I was on the board of a conservation/sportsman's group. I hate whats happening in our country these days and this reeks of the same.

A sad day in Wyoming for sure.

Last edited:
Yes Mike was an outfitter on his ranch in the Black Hills, but he was truly a great sportsman's representative and hunter. He was very open to conversation and loved getting lots of comments on issues. In fact Mike would often encourage everyone to email and contact Commissioners. I had several great phone conversations with Mike and some in person also. He also contributed in many ways to wildlife projects in Wyoming.

What troubles me is that I don't expect Commissioners be "team players" but that they do their job. Every vote does not need to be unanimous. Commissioners also have personal lives and their own set of beliefs. This should not be criteria to remove a Commissioner. I had this very thing happen to me when I was on the board of a conservation/sportsman's group. I hate whats happening in our country these days and this reeks of the same.

A sad day in Wyoming for sure.
I heard this was likely tied to trapping legislation that was infront of the TWR and that he stood up
For trapping and that likely pissed a bunch of people from Jackson off... The end result was people of influence complaining to the governor as he was one of a few who really spoke out against the antis and supported trapping.

Any thoughts on this?

I also agree they are there to do a job, not all conform!!!

Mike was one of best Commissioners in the current bunch. Mike stood up for boot leather hunters in Wyoming. He stood up to WyOGA. Mike led the pushback against increasing the NR Gen elk license increase pushed by WyOGA a few years ago. Mike pushed back on the antelope tag giveaway to the one shot past shooters. Mike is one of the few Comns that even understands the basics of how tags are allocated and drawn, how quotas are set and what a fantastic resource Wyoming has for a Hunter not a business. Mike is badass Hunter in his own right, he kicked ass on the Teton Goat hunt. JM77 is right on with Mike being very interested in what the average Hunter thought. Can’t tell you how many times he reached out to me to discuss issues. We didn’t always agree but he damn sure wanted to hear what you had to say and understand your concerns so he could make an informed decision. This is a significant loss for the Commission and for the average Wyo hunter. With him gone and Cranks term ending we have big shoes to fill. This is another BS move by Gordon. Without a doubt the shittiest Gov during my time in Wyo. What a coward firing the guy over email. Be a man and talk to him face to face. Getting upset with dissenting opinions? This puts Gordon on the same level as the liberals that can’t handle a conservative voice in the media. What a F’ing joke.

Really too bad this happens...and why I have always hated that the GF commissions are appointed by a Governor.

Mike was also a standup, honest guy every time I dealt with him on a GF related issue.

Last edited:
I also should add...I hope that every WY resident hunter remembers this lame move by Gordon when he's up for re-election. These types of things create 1 term politicians.

I have to question too, why even have a 7 person commission if everyone is expected to think the same way and you're going to get the ax by the Governor if you don't toe the company line?

Why have a commission at all if the Governor is just going to ride herd on those with different ideas?

I agree with mulecreek, firing someone via email is a cowardly move.

Unbelievable.

Not only does mike stand up for the wildlife issues he also understands the importance of are natural resources oil gas coal ect.. My thoughts are not very many business owners/ outfitters would donate time and equipment to actually help the wildlife if they weren’t getting something in return!! And as buzz mentioned why a 7 member commission if they all think and act the same? Same as the county I live in, 5 county commissioners? And I feel not one strays from the same rut that has been made for them!! Same ol same ol. Be a wolf not a sheep!! Schmid for governor!! And it is a damn shame the route the good ol US of A is taking.

Wow... I appreciate the responses. I honestly never met him or anything. But I did understand that many thought he was a good member of the commission. It is very rare to see so many speak highly of a commissioner. I have been watching this thread, the Facebook feeds on the article, the trappers association, and every place else... So far not a single person has anything but good to say about this commissioner. I am wondering just who he got cross ways with?

It had to be someone of influence.

Everyone knows that, but hopefully that wasn't the reason.

Jm77:

That is why I asked the question in the first place. I wanted to know if anyone had heard the exact reason.

I had heard Schmid was in D.C. on Jan 6, but find it difficult to believe that would be grounds for removal from the G&F Commission.

ClearCreek

Jm77:

That is why I asked the question in the first place. I wanted to know if anyone had heard the exact reason.

I had heard Schmid was in D.C. on Jan 6, but find it difficult to believe that would be grounds for removal from the G&F Commission.

ClearCreek
Interesting in the quote from Gordon... "pattern of actions and statements that undermined the decisions and effectiveness of the board."

I wonder if one such action was a trip to Washington...

I heard in the rumor mill that Higher Ups in Teton county hated him. That he was outspoken o the TRW Committee and that they did not like what he said in regards to limitation on trapping etc.

I will dig into that a little more and see if I can chase that down.

Wouldn’t be surprised if his party in Washington didn’t backfire. I just read part of that article, but being associated with that mess can’t be real good for anyone who was there.

Wouldn’t be surprised if his party in Washington didn’t backfire. I just read part of that article, but being associated with that mess can’t be real good for anyone who was there.
Did you read the part where the Gov said his trip to DC had nothing to do with his removal or do you think the Governor is a liar?

Did you read the part where the Gov said his trip to DC had nothing to do with his removal or do you think the Governor is a liar?
I did read that, but I’ve heard rumors that politicians aren’t always honest. ;) I have no idea, it just wouldn’t surprise me if that played into it more than what’s being portrayed.

The people that stormed inside are the bad guys, not the ones that showed support from a distance.

But I forgot if you riot with blm or antitfia you get a free pass

I personally feel this move has far more to do with trapping than it does a trip to DC.
Yep... It is likely more about trapping than anything else... Since he was so outspoken on the issue.

I have a feeling he fell victim to the like of WY untrapped.

Did anyone notice the quote from the crazy anti trapping lady... She stated that this position along with 2 other openings on the Commission is a great chance for the Governor to "Science" into the commission and make significant changes to the system. She sees it as an opportunity to infiltrate the system with radical anti hunting and anti trapping policies.

Schmidt stood up and was a singular voice against making changes to trapping laws etc.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom