Got'er done - Nebo bear hunt

Gorilla

My 15 year old boy drew a summer bait Bear tag for the nebo unit. I have hunted bears a few times with dogs but this was our first time using bait.

The first 3 weeks of the hunt was a huge learning curve. The site we focused on was a 2.5 mile hike from the nearest road with 4,000 feet of elevation climb. We used horses to pack in 200 lbs of bait.

We got to our blind which was set up 125 yards from the bait site at about 6:30 pm and could see that the bait was all but gone. We sat down to rest from the grueling hike and chit chatted for about 30 minutes making plans to reset the site with more bait. We were just about to leave when I caught a glimpse of a bear that was bedded down behind a tree within a few feet from the bait site. 45 minutes later the bear got up and start rooting through the crumbs. The boar gave my boy a broadside shot with his 25-06 110 gr Accubond bullet. The bear went 25 yards and died under a log. The biologist guessed the boar to be in the 4 year old range.

For me the best reward was having my boy tell me that this was his funnest hunt during the ride home.

Screenshot_20220611-113405_Gallery.jpg

My 15 year old boy drew a summer bait Bear tag for the nebo unit. I have hunted bears a few times with dogs but this was our first time using bait.

The first 3 weeks of the hunt was a huge learning curve. The site we focused on was a 2.5 mile hike from the nearest road with 4,000 feet of elevation climb. We used horses to pack in 200 lbs of bait.

We got to our blind which was set up 125 yards from the bait site at about 6:30 pm and could see that the bait was all but gone. We sat down to rest from the grueling hike and chit chatted for about 30 minutes making plans to reset the site with more bait. We were just about to leave when I caught a glimpse of a bear that was bedded down behind a tree within a few feet from the bait site. 45 minutes later the bear got up and start rooting through the crumbs. The boar gave my boy a broadside shot with his 25-06 110 gr Accubond bullet. The bear went 25 yards and died under a log. The biologist guessed the boar to be in the 4 year old range.

For me the best reward was having my boy tell me that this was his funnest hunt during the ride home.

View attachment 78531
That’s what it’s all about right there.

I hike a ton and I can attest that 4000’ elevation in 2.5 miles is damn near straight up! You did a serious climb to get there, not a hike.
Good on ya guys!!!
Fine bear, well done guys.

Zeke

View attachment 78531
Congrats to you both!

Nice bear and maybe the most mature looking 15 year old I've ever seen. He is a handsome kid, and he sports more facial hair than I've ever had! :)
Well done!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom