Gotta Get a Goat, Help!

Daxter

Very Active Member
I have this crazy desire to get a goat. I am somewhat obsessed sice I hiked into a herd of goats last summer in northern Idaho. It was a really neat experience to me, and made a big impact on me. Since then I can't think about anything but going back to find the goats again. I would love a hunt in BC or Alaska, but I am a poor college student and so I think that it is going to have to be in the lower 48. The $1500 I will end up paying for a non-res tag is about my limit. I am going to start applying now, and I hope that within 10 years or so I will draw a tag somewhere. I am a UT res, so I am going to start applying here, I was also thinking Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, and maybe Colorado. Are there any other states that I should consider, and can anybody reccomend good regions in any state for drawing odds? I am not looking for a record bood goat or anything, I mainly just want the experience of the hunt. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Daxter

Daxter,

Try Wyoming. They have a lot of areas that go under subscribed. Shoot me an e-mail and I'll try to help you out. I've been there 2 year snow and tagged out both times. I'll share with you what I know!

[email protected]

Scott G.

PW - I think he is talking about a mountain goat, not a speedgoat. My understanding is that a WY nonresident mountain goat tag is a once in a lifetime draw. I just checked the demand index for WY and in 2002 there were 4 nonresident tags issued in two areas. There were a total of 249 applicants for those four tags. The best draw odds were in area 001 @ 2.07%. WY does not offer preference points for Mountain Goat.

Daxter - You can order the 2003 WY proclamation from their website - http://gf.state.wy.us/HTML/hunting/huntinfo.htm

Good luck in your quest for a goat.

Well, ID has the best draw odds, some units as good as 4:1. The downside is that you need to buy the nonresident license for around $130 to apply. Look at the odds posted on their site. WY odds are more like 50:1, and CO reqires you to apply for four years before you have any chance of drawing, you may be working by then. All these states require the money up front, so if you are strapped for cash, just bite the bullet, buy the ID license, and apply there for one of the easier draws. If you throw in a second state, do MT, as it is half the price of the rest. Of course, apply for all if you have enough cash or a high enough credit limit.

Oops...had my mind on antelope...sorry.

I don't know anything about mountain goats!

I think RuRu gave good info as well as Elmerfudd...

scott g

Cheap to apply to (actual cost since you get your money back, minus a minor app. fee) MT, CO, WY, UT. Idaho and maybe Oregon and Washington are possibiblities if you are willing to spend $100 on a license.

MT gives bonus pnts. and they just started this recently so you are not far behind, there tag is also cheap so definetly pick there. CO takes 4 years as stated, get started now, they give a type of bonus pnt. after 3. Idaho does have great odds and should be a priority - watch out, many places where goats are you need a guide! Wyoming costs only $10 to apply. And Utah you live their so apply there too.

Study the rules.

For me, I apply to WY (when I have the cash) - if they ever start bonus or preference points I will always apply there

CO, I hit 3 points in 2003 then I start accumulating bonus points so that helps

MT since they are cheap and just started bonus points I am only 1 year behind, which is nothing in the long run.

Do yourself a favor and scrape together the cash for all now and start young. Also consider some sheep tags just in case (like WY where you can get a pref. pnt. for $7).

Thanks

Man I knew that I could count on the Monster Muleys crowd for some good info. I looked at the WY proclamation and I don't think that the odds are worth letting them hold my $1500 while they draw, especially with no bonus points. I am going to buy WY moose and sheep bonus points though. I'm going to start now so I have more options in the future. I wish that I would have started doing this ten years ago so I could be doing these hunts now, but better to start in my 20's than my 30's. I am definetely going to apply for mountain goat in Montana, and UT, and I want to look at the Idaho odds again. I have a hard time finding anything on their webpage so if anyone is on there and finds it post a link or something please. If I do have to buy a hunting license to apply in ID, then maybe I will just have to minimize my losses and buy a deer tag in Idaho too. My wife will love that. Thanks again.
Daxter

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom