GPS apps for iPhone's???

bowedark

Say I'm looking for a GPS app for my iPhone. One that I could use when I do not have cellular service. I'm sure some you guys out there using them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I do have three installed on my iphone they are

1. ( hunt by onX ) my understanding is that you have to purchase maps for each state 29.95 each.

2. (the Journal ) you can use this maps but no topographical works as a ledger is.

3.. (Trimble outdoors) this is one that I like the best so far it does have topographical 3-D and public land let you marked trails and your travels this one also has a subscription.

Need more information on iPhone apps that are working for you as of now I would not recommend any of the above. thank any information

One of my friends uses GAIA and it works well. Has free topo map downloads and works with no service.

Hello,
I have a 4s iPhone with the onX app for NM. It works great when I have cell reception. Does not when reception is unavailable. I must have been a bit on the ignorant side when I purchased it, in thinking that it would work like it would on a standard GPS of some sort. Not knowing that was my fault though. I originally thought I would avoid purchasing yet another item, new GPS, for hunting purposes by going the app route. The app itself works great with service.

I just got a new Samsung phone and have been looking at topo maps for it. The Samsung and most Android phones have a micro SD card slot and you can get SD cards as you would get for a GPS unit (Trimble, Huntmaps, etc.) These are supposed to work without service since the maps are already loaded on the card.

The IPhones don't have an SD card slot(bummer for you IPhone guys). But most of the instructions for IPhones say to download and store the maps for the area you are going to be in before you leave cell phone coverage and then it will work. But this seems like it would be more trouble than just dropping a card in the phone but it would be less expensive since a card is going to be $69 to $99 per state, at least I haven't found any cheaper but the $99 includes property lines.

The android phones should do anything a GPS unit will do and do it better. It has a larger screen, higher resolution screen, faster processer, etc.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-14 AT 10:06AM (MST)[p]>I just got a new Samsung
>phone and have been looking
>at topo maps for it.
>The Samsung and most Android
>phones have a micro SD
>card slot and you can
>get SD cards as
>you would get for a
>GPS unit (Trimble, Huntmaps, etc.)
>These are supposed to work
>without service since the maps
>are already loaded on the
>card.
>

Try Backcountry Navigator for your Android. I've had it for a couple years and really like it. Downloading of maps is simple and you could store them on your SD card. The topo maps are great and you can download aerials also for free. I also purchased Accuterra thru thr BCN app and it displays the different property boundaries but does not show the owner. BCN also has a 30 day free trial. Remember to put your phone in airplane mode for longer battery life.

Will it show your location without cell service or do those phones have a separate gps signal? Cool for you if it does. iPhone's do not, or at least mine doesn't.

Most of the newer cell phones (including IPhone 4 and newer) have an independent GPS Chip that will work without cell service. But you have to have maps of the area you are in downloaded before you lose cell service. Will also have to have an app that will connect the GPS to the maps you have downloaded.

For topo maps with property lines there may only be a few available. For just general topo there may be over 100 available.

I think usually you just buy the app for your model phone and it connects you to the appropriate maps.

But I'm over 60 years old so that makes me a non tech geek. Others could give better advice on exactly how all of this works. I get my 15 year old grandson to help me.

I think there is a lot of good stuff for these phones that people aren't using because they don't know it's available
or how it works and that includes me.

>I think there is a lot
>of good stuff for these
>phones that people aren't using
>because they don't know it's
>available
> or how it works and
>that includes me.

I am in that boat

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom