Grand Junction area

Well there goes the neighborhood... :) I don't live in GJ but I do live in a stRangely odd little town just to the north.
Just one thing, you better not put in for the same units as I do and screw up my already great odds of drawing a tag.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

It's a great place to live and hunt!! I love Junction for the fact that in just a few minutes in any direction you can be in some great country.

Jtshedhead

I have been to the grand Mesa so far and spent a good amount of time in the book cliffs on the Utah side. I will be a resident for next year, so I could be screwing up some odds, but not by much...

My home is in Fruita, but energy work keeps me and the family on the road most of year, and will be for the next year or two. Nice area, but can be too hot for a few weeks each summer. You will like Grand Jct. There are a lot of good folks up there.

'96, Welcome to the Grand Valley. I've been here (Palisade area) for the last 25 years. It does get too hot in July and August but you are close to some really great outdoor areas, summer and winter. About the only recreation we are a bit low on is great fishing. There are some honey holes on the Grand Mesa, the Black Canyon of the Gunnison is a close drive and a tough hike. Get in touch when you are here.

Fred

yep I live in the grand valley, huntin fool,long range shooting and a archery freak.

What archery shops and gun smiths are recommended down here? Hopefully will need a taxidermy shop as well down the road

I just got back to work from taking the family up to the Grand Mesa and camping at Island Lake campground. So green and cool from being in the Great Basin country of UT and NV for that last 22 months. The nice thing about the central location of GJ is being surrounded by three areas, which provide quick access to the mountains. For fishing try Ward Creek Reservoir, we caught about a dozen fish in short order on flys and lures. Island Lake was a little tougher fishing, but we still caught fish there.

Gabe, at Redrock is a great guy.

Del....is a pretty good gunsmith, but he has to be interested in the job, otherwise it may take awhile. He does have all of the work that he can handle. He specializes in shotguns...or he prefers them as he is a skeet or trap shooter. I've had him work on several dif projects for me (none were a shotgun).

Ray Montgomery, also in Clifton, does real good work also. Both smiths work out of their house.

You've picked a good area, a small big city.
John 14:6

I live just outside of Fruita. Have been in the GJ area for 41 yrs. Yes it gets hot here and also can get cold but it is a great area.
Another gunsmith you may want to consider is Heritage Arms Inc. http://www.heritage-arms.com/.
As for taxidermists there are several in the valley. Price, turn around and quality all very so check out their work. I am High Desert Taxidermy so feel free to call me. WWW.HighDesertTaxidermy>com

Went up to Grand Mesa and camped at Island lake, really nice area. The family had a good time. Thanks for the recommendations

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom