Gravel bike racing

I live in routt county where this race takes place. Cyclists are a massive problem around here. Most of our roads do not have shoulders and these people out there like they have a magic force field around them, only a matter of time before someone is seriously injured with all the people flocking to this area. I think they should all move their cows down the county roads before the race, fill the roads up with some nice fresh land mines. Although from what ive read many of the participants in the race dont mind being covered in $h!t haha

I have not seen this race but here is a smaller race in my hunting unit in WY. The racers are typically ok, but I agree that they will drop a load any place and some of them act as if they own the road making it difficult to pass etc. I am sure that the issue here is shear numbers. 3,000 bike riders in a race infiltrating a town in the middle of the county fair is rough... I would prefer to not see any grape smugglers, I have not had many good interactions with the bikers.

I have been in the area while that race is taking place and weeks before when they are practicing. The bikers will not move over, will not get out of middle of the road and have a faults sense of entitlement. Then they get pissed when they get dusted out! Colorado has hundreds of miles of bike paths and bike trail, all over the state which these road fleas pay nothing for . Not even a OHV sticker.

Ride the Rockies comes thru here……it’s a nightmare. Every rider has at least one support car also going 3 mph.

But be careful out there before you decide to brush them back or roll some coal. Besides being able to treat stop signs as a yield, you are required to provide them 3 feet of clearance.

They need these special protections because of all the road use taxes they pay. Try that chit in your car. :mad:

Militant cyclist in my neck of the woods are wild, I get that you like riding your bike, but understand I am gonna pass you cause im driving, had a few nutters try to zig zag across the lane to keep you from passing… just plain weird behavior

Coming soon to a road near you... My experience is the bicyclers of this sort is they "expect" and are unyielding. They don't bring much to town other than traffic and normal daily life disruption. Now add normal county traffic and you get chaos with an accident waiting to happen. Couple 1000 coming to Rangely this year. yeah....😐

The Steamboat Chamber does an amazing job filling the town with tourists each weekend. There is no reason this race needs to take place up here. Surrely they can find a better less intrusive place to have this race.

The people whom are affected don't have any say. I assure you we are watching our County Commisssioners right now and the current one is not running for reelection this year.

The 3' crap that protects bicyclists is a bunch crap on these 2 lane roads.

We don't go to town on weekends and then we have this crap at our house.

Not to mention a marathon or two each summer that they expect us not use our roads for part of the day. Pure BS and I live 25 North of Steamboat.

1000002530.jpg

I rode this one, just sayin
I knew you’re bikesexual. :ROFLMAO: A few more bad decisions at critical times, I might have been as well. I still have a 40 year old Univega hanging in the shop somewhere.

I’m not accusing you of any of the bad behavior, but you have to admit the bike “races” can be a bit much at times around here.

Just razzin you. I wouldn’t put you or anyone else in the ditch. I don’t even leave the house unless I have to.

Last edited:
Coming soon to a road near you... My experience is the bicyclers of this sort is they "expect" and are unyielding. They don't bring much to town other than traffic and normal daily life disruption. Now add normal county traffic and you get chaos with an accident waiting to happen. Couple 1000 coming to Rangely this year. yeah....😐
I didn’t know anyone in Strangely had enough coordination to stay upright on two wheels ;)

Ranchers are going to have to face the inevitable. They have to share the space with others. And in CO they are loosing their voice and power.

They definitely have the right to dislike it. I dislike the odds of drawing a decent tag. But hose 3000 bikers and all the support they bring to the table and the viewers bring in a lot of dollars for that weekend. I doubt CO wants to lose that income.

They definitely have the right to dislike it. I dislike the odds of drawing a decent tag. But hose 3000 bikers and all the support they bring to the table and the viewers bring in a lot of dollars for that weekend. I doubt CO wants to lose that income.
Steamboat could never have another tourist and not hurt for money from property tax. My buddies dad is a hedge fund manager and has a home there, he likes to joke how the millionaires are now getting pushed out by the billionaires…

Ranchers pay for livestock on federal land & state lands. Bicyclers have their own lane & trails in growing areas, including interstates, without any fees where I need to "share" the road and pay for road taxes to maintain their road.

Ranchers pay for livestock on federal land & state lands. Bicyclers have their own lane & trails in growing areas, including interstates, without any fees where I need to "share" the road and pay for road taxes to maintain their road.
😂

Steamboat could never have another tourist and not hurt for money from property tax. My buddies dad is a hedge fund manager and has a home there, he likes to joke how the millionaires are now getting pushed out by the billionaires…
Sounds like Aspen. Been happening for years in the Roaring Fork valley.

If the race was in steamboat, we wouldn’t be complaining, but it is not in steamboat. I could give a crap less when 3K lacrosse players, soccer players, , balloon lover, Texans like we have right now Texas ski week as these people may invade the town but don’t invade our country roads and shut them down.

We have about 3,000 cyclist coming to town in June this year. That does not include support personnel and vehicles. Every camp space, motel room, city park is spoken for, and the college is opening up their facilities too. So to anticipate 4k people is not unrealistic passing through town in 48 hour period and we need to provide the necessary services. More than doubling our population overnight with 2 days of them. Hope these people are generous cuz they are gonna need to show ample good to this part of the world or not get welcomed back. I'ma just gonna sit on my deck and watch the chit show play out.

FB_IMG_1705364003833.jpg

As a resident of the steamboat area/routt county, I can assure everyone that whatever money is brought in by these bike races is not needed. We dont need more sales tax and hospitality tax revenue. Everything is already full every weekend all summer. The hotels are full, the restaurants are full, and the city and county $$coffers$$ are full, every weekend, all summer.
We no longer have a need to add more events because town is dead in the summer. We dont need more "economic impact", we're impacted enough. The notion that "aw shucks we sure do need more tourist $$$" is a thing of the past. Our local business are very well supported, all year.

And to think, they want to build a light rail line from denver to steamboat and craig :oops: 🤬

Just because a group of people would like to have an event somewhere, it shouldnt just be assumed that the desired area can absorb what the event brings to the area. Services and infrastructure have a capacity. For now, we're saturated. The County has the right to deny these events, they need to start doing so.

As a resident of the steamboat area/routt county, I can assure everyone that whatever money is brought in by these bike races is not needed. We dont need more sales tax and hospitality tax revenue. Everything is already full every weekend all summer. The hotels are full, the restaurants are full, and the city and county $$coffers$$ are full, every weekend, all summer.
We no longer have a need to add more events because town is dead in the summer. We dont need more "economic impact", we're impacted enough. The notion that "aw shucks we sure do need more tourist $$$" is a thing of the past. Our local business are very well supported, all year.

And to think, they want to build a light rail line from denver to steamboat and craig :oops: 🤬
Spot on!!!

Sounds like someone needs to look at who is promoting these events in the area. I have hunted the Craig area since 1978 and love my stops in Steamboat. FM Light store is always a stop for my gift for the wife. Sad to hear that it is getting so busy.

I’m sure there’s a lot of hikers who feel the same when fall begins and the mountains are covered with camo clad hunters and then the orange wave once rifle season starts.

Just be happy. Life’s too short to get worked up over a bike race.

As a current occasional biker ( mtn bike ) not a speed bump cyclist- could not pay me to ride a road bike. You only need to go drive through the parking lot and just examine the vehicles and stickers to know what your dealing with. It is shove it in your face/ mask up/ entitled crowd that makes these events worse than they need to be. Road racers are the worst of the bunch in the cycling community, 90 percent are real a holes.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom