Green Mountain Max Load

elknut

I have a GM 1:28 50 SS Renegade drop in. I’m playing with loads.

- what’s the max load powder the barrel can support safety? I’m mostly shoot Triple7.
- anyone playing with the custom size bullets, 501
- any favorite loads that you love
- I’m prep for a CO hunt

Thanks for the help.

I wouldn’t worry about max loads, you should not bother playing in that territory unless you start from the wrong end when working UP to an accurate load. Literature on this is sparse and innocent bad advice can steer you wrong. I once tried figuring the same and in hindsight probably was flirting with an over pressure load. So your goal should be your best accuracy with the minimal charge suitable to create the energy needed to pass through an elk. It’s lower than you think! That said, there’s a couple things to consider for your colorado hunt.

With 1/28, you can shoot a long, heavy conical. I think the 460 grain No Excuses bullet is about as perfect as it gets.

You will probably settle on a load anywhere from 70 to 85 grains. I killed my last CO elk elk out of a 1:28 TC Omega with 70 grains 3F 777 and the 460 bullet over a dry wool wad. Drove through nearly lengthwise and exited.

With 777, I’d reccomend 2F for you since it’s a hammer gun and you want to keep pressures slightly lower. 3F will be hotter than 2F and pressures can build fast with huge conicals. You don’t need to stuff tons of powder to kill.I’ll bet your best load is no more than 80 grains. Watch out for excess smoke, weird sounding shot, excess recoil, blowback on hammer. You are over the line already if that’s happening.

I need to do some more testing of sized bullets. No Excuses can give you a test pack of various sizes to try. I’d go for the one that isn’t too hard to load but gives a little resistance still when nearly seated. Some bullet sizes may load too easy in a given bore and it makes me nervous they could move. Every gun is different. A LIGHTLY snug bullet should shoot great.

Check out this thread where this discussion is held, includes info for both 54 and 50 cal. Good luck.

Last edited:
Well first off a guy doesn't need "max". 80 gr of pyrodex P with a 458 gr bullet will blow through most animals at any angle under 100 yards.
I have been using Lee 500 S&W bullets paper patched and sized to .501

H1Jkg7v.jpg

This bullet with 80 gr by volume or 64.5 actual grains is very accurate in these barrels. I use an oversized over powder wad that measures .620"
Like I said these bullets slightly hardened between 6 and 7 BHN will blow through almost any animal at any angle.
This elk was one I shot in 2020. I hit this bull at 248 yards. I held for a high shoulder shot and dropped him in his tracks. That bullet started out at 458 gr. It only lost 4 grains.

M7e6pXD.jpg

V71Mr4N.jpg

9a42XIw.jpg

That bullet likes 1300 to 1350 FPS. That is where likes to be. A massive amount of powder is only going to erode nipples and reduce accuracy.
In this picture I shot a cow elk in the shoulder. She was quartering to me. The bullet was found in her flank.

vYhWf5k.jpg

Ouz8aDD.jpg

kVH9wf1.jpg

I know my bullets have killed a pile of game for me and a lot of other guys. The longest shot I know of on game was my bull. I have an adjustable peep. So I use a range finder. I get the distance and I set the sight for the shot.

h3LfwZ6.jpg

JlO6298.jpg

I have two 50's set up like this. The one above is my son's and this one is mine.

wX2ZKaK.jpg

A lot of guys complain about big slow bullets having a rainbow arch. I simply don't care how much drop my bullets have. As long as I know the yardage I just set the sight and shoot dead on.

Thanks - my question was more so about not wanting to overload the recommended safety checks for this barrel as I shoot for fun and play with different loads. I didn’t want to load too hot and have a problem.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and the images.

Lots of great info above! To answer your question, I consider somewhere between 90-95 gr by VOLUME max depending on the bullet. The bigger the bullet, the lower the powder charge. 80-85 with a 460 size and 90-95 generally for a 300-350 gr

My renegade will sometimes show me when I am using too much by blowing the hammer back to half cocked position. Any charge that does that is certainly over pressured.

Remember that 777 is aprox 15% stronger than real black or pyrodex

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom