Green Mountain unit 24 elk

B

bullnanza

I am leaving for the Oct 1 rifle hunt soon and wondered if anybody has killed or seen any big bulls during archery? What are the elk numbers like this year compared to other years. Also where is the closest town[to unit 24] with fuel and lodging? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

You'll be lucky to see a big bull on the Green. It's not managed for quality. A biologist told me they manage for hunter opportunity and keeping the herd numbers in check. A 300 class bull is a large bull up there. Opening day will be a zoo. If I ever draw another tag, I'll hunt the last week of the season instead of the first...

I did hunt it in 2004.I spent a fair ammount of time in the unit and know it fairly well. I would agree that based on my findings in 2004 a 300 point bull is toward the top for sure. This is a much better rain year then 2004 so hopefully the elk will have a better horns. It is a zoo on opening day but a lot of people cleared out after the first weekend. I was wondering how the elk population is compared to 2004. AS I remember there were bulls/elk everywhere throughout the unit including the sagebrush flats with no huge concentrations anywhere. Rutting bulls know no unit bounderies so you never know where a guy could find a nice bull. In 2004 Jeffery City had a motel still which I have been told has since closed. If that is true Does a guy have to go to rawlins,casper,lander,riverton, or is there any lodging/fuel etc. closer?

Are there really that many hunters in the Unit? Thought tag numbers were pretty low. How about during archery season?

What makes it like a zoo the first couple days are the cow hunters.There are only around 100 antlered elk tags but I think there are at least that many cow hunters. They tend to clear out after they fill their tags which doesnt take long. I do still need info on the closest lodging to the unit if anybody knows. I have never been to casper or lander so I wonder where the closest services are.

Riverton/Lander. I went thru Jeffery city a few weeks ago, didnt look like to motel was operable.

Opening week is a zoo but there nice bulls in the unit. Or there used to bee 300+ but they are not everywhere like some expect for a unit with such low draw odds. I don't think the motel in Jeffery city is open any more. Post pics if you can when you get back.

Good luck!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom