Green mountain wildhorse round-up

E

eyegaurd

Does anybody know anything about a horse round-up on or around Green mountain. I just heard today the blm is doing a round-up right in the middle of the elk hunt. Helicopters,4-wheelers and pick-ups everywhere dont make for ideal archery elk conditions. I hope its just a rumor, I have an elk tag for this unit this year. It will piss me off if its true, this tag is not easy to draw.

Actually, you need to contact the Lander BLM office. The Green Mountain area actually lies in their administrative area.

Hopefully they're looking at gathering horses after the hunting seasons, but they're probably limited by the availability of a gather crew and chopper. The horse advocates (basically animal rights groups) pushed through rules that don't allow for gathers during much of the year because of supposed stress to the horses and possible impacts to foals during the spring and summer. Sometimes the short-term detriments of conducting a gather and impacting public lands users is outweighed by the benefits of keeping the horse populations at proper levels.

As far as I know, the gathers use helicopters and riders on horseback, they don't run them with four-wheelers. I doubt that the impacts of the gather will be any worse than all of the idiot "sportsmen" that will run all over the area, both on and off-road in their ATVs and pickups...I'm speaking from past experience.

I spoke with Greg Hiatt on my way back to town last week and he said as far as he knew it was going to be postponed till Nov. I will call blm though! Waiting for cooler weather now! Any big bulls seen?

wysako

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom