Green River Rifle Works - Utah

jbone

All:

My boss gave me a GRRW rifle - a plains half stock .54. It is a beauty of a rifle. Does anybody have info on this type of blackpowder rifle? I think it was made in the 60's or 70's. Thanks for your help.

JBone

You've got a piece of history manufactured by a pioneer in 'modern muzzleloading'--Doc White. He closed the company in 1980 and started another one. I saw one of the GRRW rifles at a local range once and it was very well made & solid.

Scroll down to read about Doc White's history:
http://www.whiterifles.com/default.htm

You might be able to call or email him to find out more about your rifle.

Thanks so much for the information on the rifle. I have been thinking of getting rid of it. I am glad that I did not. It sounds as if I would have made a mistake. However, I must say that I am still thinking about it.

Again, thanks for the info.

JBone

All:

I thought I would share with you what Doc White said in an email about my GRRW:

"...your rifle was made about 1975 by Gardell Powell, It is a hunting rifle pure and simple. Pellets are a bad idea in such a rifle, use good old black powder or at worst, Pyrodex with a magnum cap. Use a 535 round ball, 20 thou patch and anywhere from 80 to 160 grains FFg Black Powder or RS Pyrodex. I usually use 80 grains for fun and target, sighted in at 25 yards, then twice that to hunt for a 2000 FPS load on the money at 130 yards or so. Try the 80 first. Value depends on conditon, last trade I heard of was $700 for a fine one. DOC."

Thanks for the info......I am extremely happy to have heard from the person who started/owned the GRRW.

Okay, so I am probably pressing my luck now, but who is Gardell Powell?

JBone

Thanks for telling us. Sounds like you got really good info about your rifle straight from the horses mouth.

I haven't gotten deep enough into muzzleloading yet to know about Gardell Powell. My guess would be that he was the gunsmith or chief gunsmith making those rifles. You might want to ask some of the fellows @ http://www.huntamerica.com in the muzzleloaders forum or one of the others to see if they know who he is. I'm sure there are some White Rifle buffs/collectors out there somewhere who'd know.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom