Greenhorn to the West

W

WIdeerhunter

Hello all,

As you have already read I am a greenhorn when it comes to hunting the west. In 2009 I will be heading out to Idaho for a mule deer hunt. This will be my first trip out west. I already know I will apply for a limited unit and if not successful, hunt a general OTC unit. I have a few questions (not zone specific) that I hope you guys can help me with.

When mule deer hunting do you guys pack in and hunt for several days out of a drop camp? If so how far of the road/path is the normal distance? How do you pack in, walking, horses, or atv's. I am also curious about how many other hunters you run into out in the mountain.

One more question. In terms of numbers and size of deer, what can I expect from a general unit? If you have general OTC pictures feel free to post them. (No need for unit information).

Thanks All. I look forward to reading some of your responses.

Steve

I'm not the most experienced mule deer hunter there is but I've been going to central Idaho for the last 5 yrs and a few times in the last 20. Getting away from people just requires walking straight uphill for 2 to 4 hrs. You can see ground that never gets hunted from the road but getting there for first light and getting out at night takes some hardcore hiking. Any road where an atv or fwd truck can go will get lots of traffic but if no one is parked you can head into the woods and have it to yourself. Hunting from the road you'll see does and some 2 or 3 points but coming across a decent 4 point ain't what is was like 15 yrs ago. They are there but finding one takes work. If you like to backpack you might do better getting a days walk in and up high but be prepared for 10 degree temps at night. The size of the country will overwhelm you if you've never been out there but you could bump into a nice buck at any time just remember you gotta carry it out. Horse back is the way to go but that probably means going thru an outfitter and higher cost. Good boots,good glass and any rifle you can shoot accurate for as far as you can see will help. Good Luck.

Hey,thought maybe I could answer a couple of your questions. Packing in is the best option when you know the area you are going to be hunting. It saves alot of hiking time getting to your area. However,back packing is a alot of work and you have to spend a fair amount of money to get the right packs and equipment. Horses are good if you are a horse person but they can be a major hassle too. If you have the gear and get to know an area and are sure the deer are there a backpack hunt could be a blast. However, if you do not have the time to get to know an area scratch the backpack hunt cuz you most likely wind up having a miserable time and see very few deer. My family and I always get up way early and hit the trail,we see a fair amount of pressure by western standards, about a dozen guys a day. There are places where you won't see anybody though, we've hunted some of these places but wound up opting for our stomping grounds that see more pressure because we also see way more deer there. As far as quality goes you won't see very many big bucks, a 17-20 inch four point with decent forks is a good buck that you should consider taking on your first trip to Idaho unless you scout and locate better deer which is a possibility. In fact in 2 years ago a 31 inch buck was taken out of the same canyon I harvested a respectable four point out of this year. One thing that might be of assistance to you is field judging muleys. On an immature deer, which is what you will mostly see in general season,the ears when held relaxed and out will go 18 inches. If the deer is mature figure on 20 inches.

Thanks for the quick input guys.

One thing I have heard quite often is, "hunt high until the snow flys." What does this actually mean? Is there a "magic" elevation which mulies prefer. Also, when does the snow usually start flying? Is this the time in which the deer head to their wintering gounds.

-Steve-

You probably won't see enough snow during the general season to move deer much.

I've been doing this my entire life; I'm 57 and live in Idaho. I used to backpack in several miles. I've gotten old and lazy; now I llama-pack in several miles each year.

Yes, indeed, there is a magic elevation....the highest, most unreasonable place around. Big bucks like high, ugly and rocky places. Be there and there will be mature bucks someplace. They can be extremely nocturnal and very sneaky, but they're there. Use your optics and make certain you can shoot 400 "Idaho" yards (as compared with what my buddy from Vermont calls "Vermont" yards (they only have 18 inches)).

That said, big bucks live in the desert, too. It's difficult to hunt (not physically, but logistically) and gets little pressure. They can (and do) walk a LONG way to water and can go quite a while between those walks. They pick their beds so they can see for a LONG way and so they can escape in two or three different directions.

As stated, get 2 horizontal miles from the nearest road and you are away from almost everyone....there are a few of us, but we're wide spread. Idaho has places where you can do a day hunts; people are there. If you want an adventure, you can find a place where there are no other hunters and undisturbed game.

Be prepared for the elevation and the weather. The wolves and the grizzlies will probably never bother you, but the mountains and the weather cannot be overestimated.

You also asked about the size of the deer. What the other guys said is absolutely true. However, there are mature bucks here. This last fall, I got a heavy-horned buck whose antlers were 28 3/4" wide and 23 1/2" tall. The year before, I got one that scored 187. I got a smaller 4x4 the year before and the year before that won a big-buck contest. I don't mean it to be bragging, as much as to tell you, that mature deer can be found. In each instance, we llama-packed in 5 miles (or more) and hunted in relative peace and quiet (2 of the 4 years in total peace and quiet). The last 2 trips, my 3-1/2 and then 4-1/2-year-old son came with me. He goes slow, but he does it. No matter how big the country is (it's HUGE) you can do it if you (or your dad & big brother) are ready for the country. In the back country, we have more than a few deer that are over 4 1/2 years of age. The country is tough and the deer very experienced, but they are there.

The trophy standard really depends on the physical price you are willing to pay. If you are not a horseman, do NOT rent horses. If you are, you don't need my advice, but they are an adventure unto themselves if you are not experienced with them. Good luck.

I like hunting units where the general season goes until the end of october. There will be a few nice bucks that last week that start to stick there noses in the air and start to travel looking for does.
Shayne

My brother jumped a 160 to 170 buck the third week of October that high tailed out of an area with lots of does. 2 days later I sat and watched him browse from each small group of does to the next. He wasn't all pumped up but he was definitely staying near those does and not leaving town. Watched him from a 1000 yds away for a hour and tried to circle around the does to get up to him on the last day of my hunt. Learned alot that day.

Wisconsin?? You got the right idea. Apply for controlled hunt first. You may get lucky.

If you've never hunted mulies of high country, I reccommend that you buy and read Back Country Bowhunting by Cameron Hanes AND the book by Dave Long. Even the book by Cameron Hanes will help you even if you don't bow hunt cause it describes what he looks for in trophy mule deer country.

Tip: if you're gonna pay the NR license fee and apply for deer, apply for elk for another $6. You may draw a great tag. You don't even have to purchase the tag if you draw don't want .

Thanks for all the help guys. I think i will be buying a few books, and doing a little reading over the summer. If you have any other tips feel free to post them.

Steve

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom