Grey's River area black bears

huntfishall1

I've read differing reports on seeing bears in the Salt River/Greys/Wyoming range during the fall hunting seasons. Does anyone carry a bear tag in this area during the deer or elk hunt? I'd love to get a color phase bear someday but hate paying the expensive non-resident price for a bear tag if I'm not going to see any bears. Any info is appreciated.

I live and hunt in the Greys/Salt/Wyoming ranges and if I was you I would save your money, I personally haven't seen a bear in 3 years. There are alot of color phase bears in the area but you better be sure before dropping the hammer because there are also grizzly. I know one guy that got into a pretty good tussle with one and few other friends that have had some close calls. If you want a bear do a spring bait hunt your odds of success will be alot higher. I don't buy a tag.

Are grizzlys a problem in 94 & 92? My group of four will be hunting in Oct and would like to be prepared.
Had a poor hunt in 2008 in the aera north and west of Jackson Hole. Saw more big bear sign then elk sign! Elk were in the Teton Park boundry but scarse in the N.F. - could not hunt the wilderness - got into some moose and a few deer,and even got close to 15 sheep! (uews and lambs and 30 yds)I had to stop the truck twice for bison and had prong horns on the road edge on 2
occations.The fully guided sports at the lodge had poor results
1 spike bull for four hunters.The reports from the forest service and the locals at the lodge had me looking out for my safety and hunting with less intensity then ever before. My hunting partner had fed. jury duty two days befor the trip and could not make it.Leaveing my truck in the dark and walking in a fresh light snow 2.5 to 3 miles and coming back with grizzly tracks in my tracks! Wolves howling on the way out late one evening got to me even more.I packed pepper spray and a rifle and still hunted like a #####!
I have bow hunted No. New Mexico and So Colorado western
Montana unguided with no real fear. Even did the bivy thing twice
with out much of an issue.
any info would be welcome

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom