Grizz killed

Man they need managed but don’t need to be shot just because unless they are trying to chew on someone ! Not a fan of the grizz but when I had my Sheep tag one stayed in the campground wasn’t bothering anything or anyone, kinda cool watching him jumping up and down on some berry bushes, now if he was aggressive diff story

IMG_2884.jpeg

I been hearing rumors of hit with a vechicle but one would think you would find evidence of that.

My thought was opening day of black bear season yesterday sooooo guess we will see.

I drove by this area in the late morning on May 1st. I saw three redshirts wandering around on an open hillside north of the highway. I did not see the bear. If someone hit the bear with a vehicle, you would think a wrecked vehicle would have been close by. Just sayin...mh

If someone hit the bear with a vehicle, you would think a wrecked vehicle would have been close by. Just sayin...mh
If it's a Prius, ya. If it's an 8000 pound 3/4 ton diesel with a serious bumper and not a center punch, don't think it would wreck the vehicle. Surely would have noticed it though!

A few years ago a grizzly bear was shot off the highway on the North Fork. The shooter was a large carnivore biologist for G&F in Cody. He claims he mistook it for a black bear. He shot it from the roadway. He was convicted of shooting from a road. He was also convicted of shooting the grizzly bear. He was fined but was allowed to keep his job.

A few years ago a grizzly bear was shot off the highway on the North Fork. The shooter was a large carnivore biologist for G&F in Cody. He claims he mistook it for a black bear. He shot it from the roadway. He was convicted of shooting from a road. He was also convicted of shooting the grizzly bear. He was fined but was allowed to keep his job.
Accidents happen, very few in the lesser 48 could identify a grizzly from a black bear the majority of the time.

The case is now under federal investigation.

Like I said before opening day for black bear season I have a gut feeling someone made a big mistake.
Since it is a federally protected species, wouldn’t it be a federal investigation no matter what?

Since it is a federally protected species, wouldn’t it be a federal investigation no matter what?

They have the U.S fish and wildlife service on the investigation. But yes to your question yes, but sometimes involves another federal agency

I still am curious. The only person saying it was shot is still the wildlife photographer. There has not been any statement by the Game and Fish. Only that they have an on going investigation.

It is really no different than what we knew yesterday. They are investigating a dead bear, no official statement, some saying it was shot other saying it was not... Either way, I am surprised that they have not made a statement on a suspected cause of death... Hopefully they will put it out there and we can find the poaching SOB or we can move on?

I still am curious. The only person saying it was shot is still the wildlife photographer. There has not been any statement by the Game and Fish. Only that they have an on going investigation.

It is really no different than what we knew yesterday. They are investigating a dead bear, no official statement, some saying it was shot other saying it was not... Either way, I am surprised that they have not made a statement on a suspected cause of death... Hopefully they will put it out there and we can find the poaching SOB or we can move on?
It is totally not uncommon for investigators to keep details from the public at this stage of an investigation.

They will catch them soon enough, I'm sure it was a Non-Resident!

The guy in photo checking out the dead bear is a LEO , assuming a GW, note the handcuff pouch on his belt, among other things.

It is totally not uncommon for investigators to keep details from the public at this stage of an investigation.
I get that, just waiting and Hoping for the best lol. But there is a ton of speculation out there and as a result I would think they would want to get things moving a bit…

“He was shot,” Fain-Gerber said game wardens told her.

If you take her word for it then a game warden said so.

“He was shot,” Fain-Gerber said game wardens told her.

If you take her word for it then a game warden said so.
That’s the problem… Why would they tell a random person on the side of the road this and refuse to make any official statement.

Damn you would think someone that lives in that country would know the difference!! ??,

In the story they referred the other incident well I have seen pictures and video of that bear. Straight up looked like a black bear, definitely tricked me and that was finally just finalized in court last week for the charges.

But this bear was very clear a griz

Hey @DoubleDropMuley just focus on turkeys

Last edited:
In the story they referred the other incident well I have seen pictures and video of that bear. Straight up looked like a black bear, definitely tricked me and that was finally just finalized in court last week for the charges.

But this bear was very clear a griz

95% of wyo residents with a bear tag would think that’s a black bear….

…and **** their pants

But this bear was very clear a grizz

Well hell I am no csi or NCIS expert but . Hmmmmmmm. I live in the flipping desert and not around grizz and I can tell the difference. When I was involved in a first time hunter first bear kill took me all of 2 sec to see it was a grizz when I went to help retrieve it!! And if ya can’t tell that’s a grizz laying in that pic you better stick to prairie dog plinking ?

Well hell I am no csi or NCIS expert but . Hmmmmmmm. I live in the flipping desert and not around grizz and I can tell the difference.

My question is do you desert people know the difference between a horse and human?

Speaking of that is that crazy man stil running around screwing horses for sexual pleasure?

I would love to see a 530lb in black bear in Wyoming, no way I would think that grizz was a black bear.
He should have turned himself in sooner, now the fines will be huge and he will lose his hunting rights I'm thinking.

This is about the third time, in recent years, that a person has been charged with shooting a grizzly bear on the North Fork Highway. One was a G&F large carnivore biologist about 10 years ago. The claim is they mistook it for a black bear. Fines and other penalties usually follow.

I have lived in this part of Wyoming for about 23 years. I can count on less than two hands how many black bears I have seen within 30 miles of YNP. I have only see two that would qualify as adult male black bears. One was on the Upper Dillworth Bench and the other was in the Sunlight backcountry. A couple weeks ago,I saw a juvenile black bear on the Sunlight Road. He was hauling azz. In the same period of time, I have seen hundreds of grizzly bears.

My advice to black bear hunters who can’t tell the difference between a black bear or a grizzly bear is don’t hunt black bears. Should the G&F stop black bear hunting within 30 miles of YNP? I don’t think so. If you aren’t darn sure what you are shooting at, don’t shoot. The grizzly bear shot a few weeks ago, darn sure looked like a big boar grizzly to me.

When I lived in North Idaho, we had both. The black bear population was a lot higher than the grizzly bear population. In all that time, I only saw one bear that left me wondering. His color phase and large size threw me off. When I got a loser look, I let my friend shoot it. It was a very large black bear with a beautiful hide.

just sayin…Mh

This is about the third time, in recent years, that a person has been charged with shooting a grizzly bear on the North Fork Highway. One was a G&F large carnivore biologist about 10 years ago. The claim is they mistook it for a black bear. Fines and other penalties usually follow.

I have lived in this part of Wyoming for about 23 years. I can count on less than two hands how many black bears I have seen within 30 miles of YNP. I have only see two that would qualify as adult male black bears. One was on the Upper Dillworth Bench and the other was in the Sunlight backcountry. A couple weeks ago,I saw a juvenile black bear on the Sunlight Road. He was hauling azz. In the same period of time, I have seen hundreds of grizzly bears.

My advice to black bear hunters who can’t tell the difference between a black bear or a grizzly bear is don’t hunt black bears. Should the G&F stop black bear hunting within 30 miles of YNP? I don’t think so. If you aren’t darn sure what you are shooting at, don’t shoot. The grizzly bear shot a few weeks ago, darn sure looked like a big boar grizzly to me.

When I lived in North Idaho, we had both. The black bear population was a lot higher than the grizzly bear population. In all that time, I only saw one bear that left me wondering. His color phase and large size threw me off. When I got a loser look, I let my friend shoot it. It was a very large black bear with a beautiful hide.

just sayin…Mh

image.jpg

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom