Grizzly Island Bull

srfctyhntr13

Hey Guys, have been lurking on the site for many years and have gotten a ton of helpful info.Thanks! After trying to draw a bull elk tag for almost 25 years in Cali, my luck finally changed.I hadn't even checked the draw results, for good reason, but than I got my successful letter in the mail yesterday! Frickin Sweet!! I drew one of the 3 bull tags, had max points,for Grizzly Island period 10. Which is the 1st bull hunt. I would be very grateful if anyone could give me any helpful info at all on this hunt.I did find a great read by Califmike about his dads hunt a couple years ago on the Island. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks guys!!

Congratulations! Please let us know how the hunt turns out! Pics would be awesome as well. Can't help but wish I could!

Thanks guys.I will definitely be taking plenty of pictures.Looks like the first 2 days will still be cow hunting going on but hopefully they will all have tagged out their first two days because it is a 4 day hunt.Planning on scouting in mid July and I can scout mid August after is closed to the public by appointment only if you're a tag holder.Id love to talk to you califmike about any info you can give me. That would be great! I will PM you my contact #s and maybe we can talk sometime this week. Thanks!

You're going to see a lot of elk and some very nice bulls. It is a fun and easy elk hunt. Don't shoot the first mature bull you see as there are some great bulls out there and you'll find one if you take the time and don't kill a small bull thr first day.

Congratulations, you'll have a great time. I got to help a buddy on a cow hunt there a couple of years ago. A lot of great bulls, but it can be frustrating trying to get to them. Patience and persistence were definitely required. Bring plenty of mosquito repellent, I've never seen so many mosquitoes anywhere in my life. Again, congrats!

Congratulations on a once in a lifetime tag. My son drew the tag a few years back and you won't be disappointed. Plus fish and game will help you in loading up your Elk and bringing it back to the check station. Their you can field dress while Fish and Game takes samples. And don't forget to go to the orientation the night before. Have fun

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I've spoken with a few guys who have either had a tag or joined someone who did on the hunt. Including Califmike who has been a wealth of info! Sounds like I'm in for a fun hunt and a once in a lifetime adventure! Just going crazy cuz I'm not gonna be able to get out to scout for a few weeks! I'll be sure to post up some pictures after my scouting trip.Thanks again!

I just signed up for this forum. I was drawn for a Grizzly Island Period 12 bull tag this year. I found this post after doing some google searches for Grizzly Island elk hunting hoping to find some information about the hunt.

I live near Grizzly Island and plan on taking a couple of scouting trips out there this week and the weeks to follow. I'd be happy to share the results of my trips if you're interested.

I read Calif_Mike's story about his dad's hunt and really enjoyed it. My dad and I have been applying for the drawing for a bull elk tag for more than 20 years and can barely contain our excitement for the upcoming hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom