Grizzly Island elk hunt

RELH

Long Time Member
My hunting partner's son just drew the tag for a elk hunt at Grizzly Island after 14 years of putting in for it and with max points.
Since I have never hunted there, I was unable to provide any information to him. If any of you CA. MM members have hunted there, can you offer any information that may help him. Such as pre scouting allowed, any camping allowed, average distance of shots for sighting in his rifle. Any information will be appreciated.

RELH

I don't know anything about the hunt but I can recommend a good knife to use after the kill. He probably already has one though. :)

LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-16 AT 08:18PM (MST)[p]Yep! he has one Eel, he used it on a elk hunt with me and his father 2 years ago in Utah. Heck on a Wyoming elk hunt about 4 years ago he was nice enough to field dress my elk for me.

RELH

I've helped on a couple elk hunts on Grizzly Island over the years. It's a really easy elk hunt, a lot of fun and a lot of elk.

Each hunter can take 1 person with them to assist, no more than 1. You cannot pre-scout the area, at least you could not in the past. It doesn't matter, you'll find plenty of elk with just a little effort.

Fish and Game gives you a radio to contact them when you kill an elk. They then come out on a quad with a trailer and load your elk, whole, and take it back to the station for biological samples to be taken. You'll field dress your elk at their facility. They hang it from a gambrel for you and you can skin it in the shade.

It's a first rate experience!

I posted a detailed report of my dad's hunt there last year, it gives a lot of the info you asked about.

There is scouting allowed prior to the hunt but it has to work around the other hunts. Call the biologist and he can give you the details.

Scouting is important from the stand point of getting the feel for what a good elk is and what a a great elk is out there. There are a ton of good elk and they all look great to start with. You don't want him overwhelmed to the point he kills the first nice elk he sees.

They do allow camping but it is complete dry camping with no hookups. Generally it is going to be hot.

Shoot me a PM if I can help in anyway.

Mike

I remember Calif_Mikes report and highly recommend it. It is much more recent than the hunts I assisted on, especially the scouting info. The people I assisted weren't able to scout, perhaps because they didn't have trophy bull tags? Mikes report is worth reading!

My dad's buddy had a spike archery tag last year and he said it was a total Cadillac setup over there. The only hard part was not being able to shoot a big bull.

I heard one of the biggest ones out there swam to another island.

He got the cow tag and wants to hold out for one of good weight. He loves his elk steaks.

RELH

Where did you guys stay when you hunted out there? Are there hotels near by? I have heard it is pretty hot and the mosquitos can get bad in the evenings. So camping may not be the best option.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom