Grizzly Island, or Siskiyou?

bullskin

Very Active Member
I have one less than max points for elk and cannot see drawing a bull tag in California in my lifetime. I have decided to burn my points on a cow tag. My odds at drawing Grizzly Island are fair, but I don't see how this can be much of a "hunt". My odds of drawing Siskiyou are better, but all I ever find there are elk tracks. And so I am looking for input... What is the Grizzly Island hunt like? And, can anyone provide me some advice in locating actual elk on land open to public access between I-5 and hiway 97? I appreciate any info you can provide.

You should look at the odd for some of the other bull hunts , there are some that are similar odds to the 2 cow hunts you listed and you can go any direction but west or south from calif. and get a cow tag when ever your ready. If you start in montana you can harvest a few more on your way home and take bulls also.

grizzly island for a cow or bull is a shoot....not a hunt.

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Try for cache creek I will tell where to go it's a real hunt compared to most tule hunts but at the same time the elk are fairly close to the road

Like 6x7 said, try Cache Creek. I drew the cow hunt a few years ago and it's a fun hunt. You?ll see a lot of elk and there is a lot of public land access

With hunts that have 2 or fewer tags points don't matter, they're allocated to general draw.
Not an awful lot of bull tags available.
I have max points and am considering a cow myself.
The idea of packing out an elk at 60+ years sounds kind of unappealing.

I appreciate the responses guys. I used to hunt Cache Creek for turkey and pigs, but haven't been back in there for twenty years. I notice that it has grown larger since then and I am not familiar with the new country. I will happily take you up on any advice you may provide.
And thank you.

Probably hasn't changed much the elk are at cowboy camp and out of the red bud trail head

Points are only NOT considered on hunts with ONE tag. Hunts with two tags available give one in the preference draw and one in the random.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom