Grizzly Island

bpnclark

My daughter and I both drew separate cow tags at Grizzly Island this year. I live down the street from Grizzly Island and I have been putting in for years and never knew anyone that has hunted there. I'm hoping that someone here has hunted there before and can answer a couple questions before the hunts start. Just wanted to know if they let you take more than one non-hunter with you and if the ?closed? areas are open during the elk hunts. Thanks ?

Don't you have to participate in a orientation class 1st?
Should have all the questions you can ask there..
Bone

The orientation is the Friday before the hunt. I have a couple people asking to tag along on the hunt and I think only one person can go, but I'm not sure. Just hoping someone here has hunted it before.

My dad drew a bull tag last year and i helped him with it.

They only allow one helper/observer per hunter. The main reason is so there aren't a bunch of people running all over the island during the hunt.

No problem. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Good luck on the hunt, enjoy your time out there and don't be in a hurry to fill your tag. 90% of the hunters will fill out the first day, wait and have the island to yourself.

One more question ? how does the elk taste? Does it still taste the same with all that marshland food they eat?

And good to hear about the other hunters. My daughter?s dates are her first week of school, and she doesn't want to miss that, so the plan is to go after school every day. I'm not worried about her hunt but I'm kind of nervous about mine. The amount of tags they gave out is crazy. There?s like 80 tags and I've never seen that many elk. Hopefully they all live behind that closed areas and I just cant see them!

My dad got a 7 to 8 year old bull, it tasted better than the young bulls we take in Colorado. If you think it about it, they have a pretty easy life there, no migration, no snow, food everywhere.

We saw 100 to 200 elk a day during dad's hunt and scouting. There are about 500 on the island. Use your binos and get up in the back of your truck at each parking area. There were elk to be seen from each area. There are elk in the closed zone but it is also some of the thickest vegetation on the island.

Thank god! On both! 2 cows is going to be a lot to eat if they tasted a little funny! I always wondered what they would taste like after following them around in that smelly marshwater.

As for the numbers, I've never seen anything close to that! Good to hear. I would take pics of the bull groups before they closed the area and would follow them around towards 680, but never saw any truly large herds. But then again I could never see into or behind the ?closed? area!

Thanks again!

My son drew the Bull tag way back when and we were able to take 2 along. Things might have changed since then. They also have a place where you can camp has well. Plus they come out and take your animal back to the area where you can skin your animal so they can do some sampling on the animal itself. I also drew a spike tag and went thru the same routine. Have a great time and take lots of pictures.

There are over 300 elk on the island before calving season this year. The herd is above objective and hence the increase in tags. Good luck on your hunts,it is a fun time.

Joe

The little lady got it done on the first day! Had a great time.

56728alyssacow2.jpg

Big thank you to all the guys and girls that work out there. Everyone was super helpful and great. Everyone from the warden to the biologist and the volunteers. Thank you again!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom