Group apps

txhunter58

Long Time Member
Now that I am retiring next year, I am Considering applying to NM for elk and deer. Have a question about applying as a single vs group of 2.

2 people applying separately would obviously have a better chance than a single application.

How does a group of 2 people’s odds compare to 2 people applying separately?

Statistically speaking it roughly doubles your odds that at least one of the two of you will draw. It drastically decreases the odds both of you will draw in the same given year however.

Having said that statistics are stupid and somewhat miss-leading, especially when your talking long odds...

I am still unclear.

1) 1 person applies alone
2). I apply with 1 other person. (Group of 2)
3). Two people apply separately

Which has best odds of someone drawing.

Correct; however, be aware "party" hunting is illegal. So whoever draws the tag is the only person that can shoot said animal...

Option 1 or 3, especially for a non resident.

Here is a simple example. If the hunt code you like has 100 tags, only 6 go into the NR unguided pool. If you are applying by yourself (option 1) you need to be one of the first 6 apps in your pool drawn to get the tag. If you apply as a group of 2 you need to be one of the first 5 drawn, so your odds went down by about 15%. That number would be worse if the hunt you want only has 2 tags for NR unguided where your odds would be cut in half. Option 3 has the best chance of one of you getting drawn, but again it’s a function of tags available.

I am still unclear.

1) 1 person applies alone
2). I apply with 1 other person. (Group of 2)
3). Two people apply separately

Which has best odds of someone drawing.
Yes, if you’re just interested in one of you drawing, apply separately. If you’re interested in hunting with a buddy or not at all, apply as a group. Still long odds either way though.

If both people have to hunt/have tags then another option is available:

4) Two people apply separately, if one draws other buys land owner permit for OTC tag. All license fees shared/split evenly.

Beware of both drawing tags with conflicting schedules. Although this is very unlikely, it could be challenging.

Also keep in mind, there have to be enough tags for each one of you to get one. If there is only one NR tag left/available by the time your app comes up and you apply as a group, you're automatically kicked out and it goes to the next app until a stand-alone is chosen for that one remaining tag.

Most of the technical stuff is covered here.
One other thought.
Almost all NM firearm seasons are 5 days. That goes by so fast and even faster if 2 people are trying to punch a tag.
Both of you put in separate with understanding that both goes on hunt regardless of who draws. With odds as bad as they are likely neither of you will draw anyways
Just my opinion.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom