Guess the score of this lope

D

DeerKing

fc799e65.jpg

I agree with the last two posts. It looks like it has nice length and good cutters, but it may lack a little in the mass department (But what do I know?) I'll say 79, because OSOK beat me to 78.

Rut

I would say for the left horn the buck is 18-inches long with a 6-6/8-inch prong. I'd call him 6-1/8, 7-4/8, 4, and 2-7/8 for mass. This would come to a grand total of 90-4/8-inches if that horn was doubled. It's kinda tough to judge from just one view.

Antelope are pretty tough to judge and just as much to score . He's damn sure a nice buck , and I'm guessing he'll score around 82 ...LSG

Do you have any other views of the buck? I would like to see where I missed, because apparently I missed big. Please post more pics of him. I need to get better at this.

who cares what it scores. who cares what any animal scores.
everyone needs to get back to the basics of hunting and enjoy any animal. screw the record books. a trophy is a trophy regardless of some measurements. Right??????????????

If you don't like the topic then don't post. If you don't believe in record books then don't enter your bucks into them.

Scoring a buck is a way to determine how much horn that particular animal grew. That's all.

If you think your bucks are trophies then, in your eyes, they are. That doesn't change just because you enter a buck into a record book.

I care what an animal scores. Why? Because it provides me with a certain amount of accomplishment when I take a buck that scores well. You see...taking a pronghorn with modern rifles isn't that much of an accomplishment anymore. Most anyone can take a buck if they just want to shoot any buck. With archery it's almost the same thing. The use of blinds has made it so. If you raise the bar on what you're willing to shoot then it makes it more challenging. In order to accomplish this goal it takes patience, determination, and a lot of skill. Sometimes you'll go home empty handed.

What you're saying is kinda like saying all women are worthy of being your wife - it doesn't matter which woman it is, so long as she yours, she's the best one out there. And I can't think of a single male that thinks this way. Everyone should want to find the very best mate they can find.

Humans set standards and goals for themselves in everything they want and do in life. The goals I set when I have a tag in my hand are no different then my goals for pursuing a relationship
-- tag or marry only the very best one out there.

Do I enjoy all animals? Yes. Does that mean I would shoot any animal if I had a tag? No.

I tend to agree with tman on the issue of scoring. I have met way to many hunters who care way too much about what their animals score. I am a member of fnaws and sci and I "trophy hunt". that is a big word. some hunters are happy with the largest animal they can take on a given hunt, thats me. others cry in their milk if they don't take a B&C animal. Thats crazy.
Any good representation of a species for a particular hunt should be a trophy. People tend to put too much emphasis towards scoring instead of enjoying the hunt, the animal and the mounted trophy. I don't just shoot any animal just because I have a tag, I hunt hard for a big one, but I really don't care what the "score" of it is. Even the late Jack O'Connor talks about the demise of what scoring has done to hunting. You can read it for yourself in the book: Sheep and Sheep hunting,
by O'Connor himself, Chapter 12 The Grand Slam Caper, page 246.
Everyone who thinks scoring is such a BIG deal really ought to read this. He even talks about the Grand Slam Club getting blown out of proportion and it not being what it really should be.
Thats my 2 cents worth.
Enjoy your hunting!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom