Guess the score

WVHUNTER

Very Active Member
20210507_184122.jpg

20191102_083307.jpg

Thank you for looking, he scores 173 5/8 dry, gross score. A lot of you guessed lower, some very close. He has 35 inches of mass and 7 inches of brow tines that helps the score.

Thank you for looking, he scores 173 5/8 dry, gross score. A lot of you guessed lower, some very close. He has 35 inches of mass and 7 inches of brow tines that helps the score.
So he will officially score in the 160’s (net).

So he actually unofficially scores 173 5/8. Throwing out net score guesses is like throwing out an inside spread guess when someone asked to guess the width of their buck. ?

So he actually unofficially scores 173 5/8. Throwing out net score guesses is like throwing out an inside spread guess when someone asked to guess the width of their buck. ?
Not at all…..if it was officially measured tomorrow…..it would be in the 160’s. I’ve always thought, at least for me, that net (real) score is easier to estimate than gross. Simply double the shortest measurement(s) of each side and add an estimate inside spread???

Yes

Not at all…..if it was officially measured tomorrow…..it would be in the 160’s. I’ve always thought, at least for me, that net (real) score is easier to estimate than gross. Simply double the shortest measurement(s) of each side and add an estimate inside spread???
???? love the "real" distinction you put in there.

So you are saying the gross score is not a real score?

I really do not care what a deer or elk for that matter "net" score.

Unless I am considering putting it in the "book" there is no reason to calculate the net score, I don't care if a point is 3/8 different here and 3 inches different there, I want to know what the deer grew on its head, and I'm definitely not going to deduct a knarly ass extra if its a typical that has it.

The books have there place, and I'm glad they we're created so that we have a solid base line and standard to follow but I will probably never enter a head into the book. Only exception would be a top 10. Hell maybe even a top 100 head as that is truly an accomplishment.

So you are saying the gross score is not a real score?
Yes. It’s supplemental data….much like tip to tip spread, etc.

It’s really no big deal….but if referring to or using the B&C system, why not use the real (final) score?

Lol don't get into that argument with the boys up in Canada, they will fight you every time on a width of a deer argument. They only care about the inside spread measurement. Lol

But I do have to add, why do we care what the spread of the beams are?
Why give it a spread credit at all?
Why limit that spread credit to the length of the longer beam?

Hell if your gonna give it a spread credit Why not make it the widest part of the frame on a typical and the widest overall on a non-typical?

If width has some value in what truly makes a big deer, and I'd venture a guess that 99% of people would agree. Take an example you got two bucks both scoring 190 inches with similar mass, and similar fork depth and height but one is 24" wide outside and one is 30" wide outside the wider buck is what 90% of guys will shoot.

Just an observation and kind of a pet peeve of mine about the scoring system.

Yes. It’s supplemental data….much like tip to tip spread, etc.

It’s really no big deal….but if referring to or using the B&C system, why not use the real (final) score?
Like I said, I appreciate the system but do not feel the final score give full credit to the size of a deer. I prefer the gross score as that is what the deer actually grew. I don't care if a buck is symmetrical which is what the initial scoring system wanted to take into account. But the system works for getting what I (and a whole lot of others) concider to be the true score of the deer.

I never measure the tip to tip spread because that literally means nothing, no idea why it's even on a score sheet, supplemental to what? At least a gross score has some bearing to how big an animal really is.

I get that you are an "offical" scorer and from what I can tell are fairly well connected with the higher-ups in the pope and young organization, hell you may be a higher-up lol, and you feel the need to defend the system. But the truth is most average guys do not care what the net score of an animal is.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom