Guess the Score...

Wiszard

Long Time Member
This bull was killed in 2020 but I never seriously taped him out to see what he scores. Any guesses on what you think he scores? I'll put a tape to him and respond in a couple days.
elk3.jpg

Elk Monroe 4.jpg
Elk Monroe 3.jpg
Elk Monroe 2.jpg
Elk Monroe.jpg

I think SureShot & mlycrzy are close. Gross score around 320". My measurements come out to 316". Base score 180 for mass, mains, and spread and then 30" of brows, 26" of seconds, 24" of thirds, 36" on 4ths, and 20" of 5ths. I'm sure I'm low on some and high on others but should be pretty close on overall.

At first blush I said 321

Cheers on a great bull would love to hear the story on that one. Might have missed it, but need a refresher if my oldmanitis is in full swing :)

Pete

He has the look of a 330-ish type bull to me. First glance you think he’s bigger than he is. He doesn’t have great mass and is a bit compact, but still good length most places.

A really cool looking bull regardless of the number.

I think folks will be surprised. I am the last guy you want scoring a bull on the hoof, but the 3rds look to be 20".

Just doing this once has opened my eyes to how much goes into an elk scoring higher....even if it's by only a few inches. If this bull had a bit more mass, it could raise the score upwards of 15 points total.
Next I'll be measuring a few mule deer. Thanks for participating!

I had roughly come up with: 335.5
G1- 18 Mass 8, 6.75, 6,5.5
G2-14 Spread-35
G3-13
G4-19
G5-10
MB- 50

An inch here and there adds ups quickly...

Thanks for sharing, I love these...

My initial impression was 330 class, but after putting numbers down I got 315. His left side is quite a bit smaller than the right. Great bull regardless.
Well, I measured the bull only to the 1/2 inch. I hoped he was closer to the 373 mentioned at the top. :) We always figured he was about 325 but with my measurements, he's right around 316 if I did the measuring correctly. View attachment 109213
I'd say I did pretty good, you can't always go off that first initial look/guess, sometimes you got to break it down a bit more to see where it ends up. But a lot of the time it probably ain't going to matter.

Thanks for the entertainment. And great bull.

I'd say I did pretty good, you can't always go off that first initial look/guess, sometimes you got to break it down a bit more to see where it ends up. But a lot of the time it probably ain't going to matter.

Thanks for the entertainment. And great bull.
My first bull ever....came off the Monroe and had some guys on here help me out on the hunt...good people. 2 days before I killed this guy, I had a decent 5x5 at about 200 yards just staring at us. I was prone and could've killed that bull and it was hard not to. I am glad I held out. It was an incredibly fun hunt...it has gotten me hooked on elk hunting. Many would say this is a smallish bull to take on an LE hunt but I didn't care. He was big enough for me. It was a great experience. As a NR I drew the late season tag with 10 points. Pretty dang lucky.....

And your assessment of the bull was spot on.

My first bull ever....came off the Monroe and had some guys on here help me out on the hunt...good people. 2 days before I killed this guy, I had a decent 5x5 at about 200 yards just staring at us. I was prone and could've killed that bull and it was hard not to. I am glad I held out. It was an incredibly fun hunt...it has gotten me hooked on elk hunting. Many would say this is a smallish bull to take on an LE hunt but I didn't care. He was big enough for me. It was a great experience. As a NR I drew the late season tag with 10 points. Pretty dang lucky.....

And your assessment of the bull was spot on.
That is a great bull with some cool character (and very representative of a realistic expectation for a bull on most all LE units), and it sounds like you had an amazing experience with some great elk sightings and great people to help you. That alone overrides any score or inches all day long. Congrats man!

I didn't get an age on him. I had to send teeth in if I remember correctly.
Did you go back and check your hunt survey? That's where they post the age, at the bottom of the form. They don't notify you.

From what I've seen, a 320 class Bull is larger than the median Bull across all LE units. Most people that killed a "340" Bull, don't know how to score, or never even scored it. If you've only killed spikes your whole life, and you walk up on a 280 Bull, he looks pretty darned big!

Did you go back and check your hunt survey? That's where they post the age, at the bottom of the form. They don't notify you.

From what I've seen, a 320 class Bull is larger than the median Bull across all LE units. Most people that killed a "340" Bull, don't know how to score, or never even scored it. If you've only killed spikes your whole life, and you walk up on a 280 Bull, he looks pretty darned big!
I will go back and check the hunt survey.....I didn't know I could do that. Thanks.

I checked the report and it stated that the bulls age was 6.

Agree with others comments. A lot of people over score them. My daughter shot a Bull last year I felt would score 325ish and I hate over judging. He roughed at 310”. I look at him and still don’t believe it. Awesome fronts and beautiful Bull. I’d have a hard time passing him. Hope to draw Manti this year and have always dreamed of 350+ but also realize a 310,320,330 is a great Bull in my opinion and probably the norm or even more. You did great Wiz. I guessed him mid 320’s. 1” on 12 total points and a little extra mass turns a 320 into a 340/350 Bull. That’s pretty hard to tell in the field or in pics. Agree alot of people say they killed a 350 Bull when it’s really a 320 Bull. Now draw Nevada and come get a bigger one!??

Beautiful bull! I would be hard pressed to pass up a bull like that in most units in Co. I cheated while scrolling down but kind of figured he would come in under 325. Great bull!

Agree with others comments. A lot of people over score them. My daughter shot a Bull last year I felt would score 325ish and I hate over judging. He roughed at 310”. I look at him and still don’t believe it. Awesome fronts and beautiful Bull. I’d have a hard time passing him. Hope to draw Manti this year and have always dreamed of 350+ but also realize a 310,320,330 is a great Bull in my opinion and probably the norm or even more. You did great Wiz. I guessed him mid 320’s. 1” on 12 total points and a little extra mass turns a 320 into a 340/350 Bull. That’s pretty hard to tell in the field or in pics. Agree alot of people say they killed a 350 Bull when it’s really a 320 Bull. Now draw Nevada and come get a bigger one!??
Agreed. I think generally people don't realize how little it takes to drastically bump an elks score. Tough to field judge under an inch at 200 yards while moving... which still leave you probability of about a 15" margin of error potentially..

Once you've actually slapped a tape on several of them you'll understand. I really struggle with elk unless I can actually put my hands on them... when you set a 340 next to a 320... there's not a ton of difference visually.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom